How does department of works & immigration coordinate work permits?

I have my own company with work permit, non-B from Penang. Having lost all income from Europe due to the virus, I think I will have to let the work permit go for at least a while...

How should I set up my own resignation letter? Seems there would have to be a letter of confirmation too, could that be signed by my thai partner who has the 51% of the shares?

Would I have to give the work permit up before applying for retirement via an agent? Is the work permit logged in the database of immigration, or is it at least in theory possible to get onto a new visa/extension of stay beforer turning it in?

Worst case I would give up my work permit and then maybe not get onto another extension, in that case I might be blocked from returning for a year or two...

If there was any way of getting onto a non-B extension that was affordable I would do that of course, but having 4 idle workers just to stay here until things gets stable again is not the kind of cost I would like to take on!

Immigration does not have access to work permit records so that will not be a problem.

You could probably  just let your work permit expire but it might be best to cancel it.

Your partner could do the paperwork to cancel your work permit with a power of attorney from you. No need for you to resign from you job.

• Like 1

In my 3 decades of being on a Non Imm B extension I never once saw any form of cross check.

At one stage had nearly 2 years W/P extension past my B visa expiry.

In the early days only a B qualified for W/P but now there seems to be a relaxation

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, natway09 said:

In my 3 decades of being on a Non Imm B extension I never once saw any form of cross check.

At one stage had nearly 2 years W/P extension past my B visa expiry.

In the early days only a B qualified for W/P but now there seems to be a relaxation

Ah, great info - thanks! Could well be what carries me through all of this! ????

Did cost me a lot & would be very valuable to keep it for as long as possible, maybe then getting it transferred to another company/workplace...

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

If your thinking that cancelling your work permit is expensive, it's not, unless you use an agent of course.

Why do you think cancelling a work permit is expensive and why do you need an agent? 

True you don't need an agent but it didn't cost me very much I think 2000 baht and she the agent handled all the paperwork I didn't have to go down and cancel it myself I didn't have to show up anywhere just once at her office. In my case I thought it was good value as I was just too lazy to do it.

15 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Why do you think cancelling a work permit is expensive and why do you need an agent? 

Not for cancelling the work permit, but for getting from non-B to another solution.

Even better if I could get onto another extension and then "forget" to turn it in for a while...