BANGKOK
Thaivisa Web Content Team

Coronavirus: Oxford study says hydroxychloroquine can not be 'ruled out' as preventative measure, study says

It's hoped the drug could prevent the virus from developing or greatly reduce chances of hospitalisation if taken early.

Hydroxychloroquine should not be "ruled out" as prevention for coronavirus, according to researchers studying its effectiveness.

US President Donald Trump has repeatedly suggested the antimalarial drug can fight COVID-19 despite mounting scientific evidence that it can not and may be harmful.

The nation's top infectious disease expert Dr Anthony Fauci highlighted clinical studies concluding the drug is not effective in treating COVID-19 - including ones commissioned by the World Health Organisation and the US National Institutes of Health (NIH).

While acknowledging the drug has been ruled out as a treatment, a University of Oxford-led study is examining its effectiveness for prevention.

The Mahidol Oxford Tropical Medicine Research Unit (MORU) has enrolled 40,000 frontline workers in Europe, Africa, Asia and South America who will receive either chloroquine, hydroxychloroquine or a placebo.

It's hoped the double-blind, randomised study will reveal if hydroxychloroquine can prevent the virus from developing or greatly reduce chances of hospitalisation if taken soonafter infection.

FULL ARTICLE

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I think this is a follow up to the article you can see on

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-hydroxychloroquine/global-covid-19-prevention-trial-of-hydroxychloroquine-to-resume-idUSKBN2410SW

Yes it has been ruled out as a treatment but there are enough reports of it being effective if taken in the very early stages.
Surely there is still a justification to have better evaluated whether it can be a preventative measure.

However I don't see how anybody is going to prove anything unless they expose people to the virus.

Front line workers will be the best to try. I thought that happened before, but from what I have read, previous studies cannot ascertain if the people in the study had the virus or not.

From what I recall most of the studies that were commented as non effective were for treatment, not preventative. 
The Brazil study that was reported widely overdosed the people, and no wonder it caused problems.

Has anybody seen any results from formal studies so far that have given any valid conclusions from examining its use as a preventative measure rather than treatment?
Searching  on line I found the following that still leaves the question open.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2020388

Edited by jojothai
add words
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

No, its been found that the drugs isnt a cure for the virus , but the possibility of it being a preventative drug shouldn't be ruled out , that hasnt yet been debunked .........its an on going situation

It has been thoroughly debunked as a viable treatment.  The people who run this website should be ashamed of themselves for posting dis-information like this.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

1 minute ago, shdmn said:

No it is not.  It has been thoroughly debunked as a viable treatment.  The people who run this website should be ashamed of themselves for posting dis-information like this.

Yes, but it could prevent the virus , rather than treat the virus .

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Yes, but it could prevent the virus , rather than treat the virus .

It is not a viable treatment, cure, preventative measure or anything else.  All these things have been throughly debunked and the people who posted this story trying to suggest otherwise should be ashamed of themselves.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

The World leaders in researching the virus , the ones who have possibly found a vaccine, disagree with you 

Cannot be ruled out means they are in the process of ruling it out.  That is all this means.  They are probably testing hundreds of drugs as possible treatments so there are lots and lots of drugs that cannot be ruled out.

Edited by shdmn
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, shdmn said:

Where are your Links?  I already know what "world leaders in virus research" have said about it.  Apparently you don't.

The link is at the top of the page , in the OP , we are discussing that link .

Oxford University are World leaders in studying the virus and they believe the drug could prevent the virus .

Have you read the link in the OP ?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Have you read the link in the OP ?

No..He is supposedly headed for the hills.......oh well lets hope that he gets back on his medication soon.......

Quote--Guess who is funding the study?---Go on guess..... I dare you. here's a hint;-------:w00t:....:w00t:...Wow

• Haha 1

On 8/7/2020 at 1:57 AM, shdmn said:

It is not a viable treatment, cure, preventative measure or anything else.  All these things have been throughly debunked and the people who posted this story trying to suggest otherwise should be ashamed of themselves.

De-bunked? Says who? https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2020-08-05/hydroxychloroquine-and-coronavirus

• Like 1