BANGKOK
LOSel

Advice to extend stay beyond 26th September

I have a Thai partner who I recently celebrated our 10th anniversary and would appreciate any advice on how to continue living together.

I'm not yet 50, but have past the age to which buying an elite visa would be worth it. Unfortunately, I can't get married and don't plan to have children.

1) Could expensive cosmetic dental treatment qualify for a medical extension? What are the actual requirements, during the new "covid era"?

2) Is there any way that I could get a Non-O based on my relationship, as I could get Thai witness statements of us living together and provide well over a thousand photos of us together? There's a recent change.org petition addressing this problem but it is hard to imagine there will be any policy change soon.

3) I would easily pass any immigration test for thai language skills, but would rather live in a neighbouring country than sit in a classroom learning very little.

Yes, it's causing me sleepless, restless nights and any possible advice or alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

3) You don’t actually have to sit in a classroom.  many schools allow you to take online classes through Skype or zoom.  Some even just let you self study through youtube videos and other online material.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, LOSel said:

but would rather live in a neighbouring country than sit in a classroom learning very little.

So there's your answer. Could be a long wait coming back but if that's what you prefer, what's to stop you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJKT2014 said:

So there's your answer. Could be a long wait coming back but if that's what you prefer, what's to stop you?

All neighboring countries have borders closed tighter than Thailand, and it would take a miracle for them to open before sept 26.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

All neighboring countries have borders closed tighter than Thailand, and it would take a miracle for them to open before sept 26.

Cambodia is a possibility, if you can tolerate the entry requirements. You must get a visa in advance, and need to be careful about the flights you use, as a positive Covid-19 test result from anyone on board means an expensive quarantine for everyone on board.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Cambodia is a possibility, if you can tolerate the entry requirements. You must get a visa in advance, and need to be careful about the flights you use, as a positive Covid-19 test result from anyone on board means an expensive quarantine for everyone on board.

I think you still need to get a visa in advance, get tested in advance, deposit $3000 usd, and two week quarantine.  Has that changed?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

I think you still need to get a visa in advance, get tested in advance, deposit $3000 usd, and two week quarantine.  Has that changed?

From the IATA site. https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

image.png.108b19bfbcb61605849b4f0cc6cb7fa1.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Phillip9 said:

Hard to see the amnesty not being extended further.

2 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

That is of no concern to Immigration. It does not stop those without valid visas/extensions leaving.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

the message is crystal clear - get the appropriate visa/extension to match your stay - or get out.

Yep, they have been quite clear this time. We will be expected to follow the normal immigration laws after sept 26.  Unless the situation unexpectedly worsens and currently operating flights get cancelled, amnesty will end on sept 26.

Make preparations now before it’s too late.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LOSel said:

1) Could expensive cosmetic dental treatment qualify for a medical extension? What are the actual requirements, during the new "covid era"?

It was reported done this way for 20K Baht:

... but the extension was processed through a remote-office - where the agent's IO-partner works - not where the applicant lived.

6 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

Yep, they have been quite clear this time. We will be expected to follow the normal immigration laws after sept 26.  Unless the situation unexpectedly worsens and currently operating flights get cancelled, amnesty will end on sept 26.

Make preparations now before it’s too late.

Sept 26 will be 6 months of free extensions, more than enough time for everyone to get out that indeed wanted to. 

The people that are still here are the ones that genuinely don't want to leave. Myself included. 

Find a way to stay with a proper visa or prep to leave before Sept 26.

• Like 2