Advice to extend stay beyond 26th September

I have a Thai partner who I recently celebrated our 10th anniversary and would appreciate any advice on how to continue living together.

I'm not yet 50, but have past the age to which buying an elite visa would be worth it. Unfortunately, I can't get married and don't plan to have children.

1) Could expensive cosmetic dental treatment qualify for a medical extension? What are the actual requirements, during the new "covid era"?

2) Is there any way that I could get a Non-O based on my relationship, as I could get Thai witness statements of us living together and provide well over a thousand photos of us together? There's a recent change.org petition addressing this problem but it is hard to imagine there will be any policy change soon.

3) I would easily pass any immigration test for thai language skills, but would rather live in a neighbouring country than sit in a classroom learning very little.

Yes, it's causing me sleepless, restless nights and any possible advice or alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

4 hours ago, LOSel said:

but would rather live in a neighbouring country than sit in a classroom learning very little.

So there's your answer. Could be a long wait coming back but if that's what you prefer, what's to stop you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJKT2014 said:

So there's your answer. Could be a long wait coming back but if that's what you prefer, what's to stop you?

All neighboring countries have borders closed tighter than Thailand, and it would take a miracle for them to open before sept 26.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

All neighboring countries have borders closed tighter than Thailand, and it would take a miracle for them to open before sept 26.

Cambodia is a possibility, if you can tolerate the entry requirements. You must get a visa in advance, and need to be careful about the flights you use, as a positive Covid-19 test result from anyone on board means an expensive quarantine for everyone on board.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Cambodia is a possibility, if you can tolerate the entry requirements. You must get a visa in advance, and need to be careful about the flights you use, as a positive Covid-19 test result from anyone on board means an expensive quarantine for everyone on board.

I think you still need to get a visa in advance, get tested in advance, deposit $3000 usd, and two week quarantine.  Has that changed?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

That is of no concern to Immigration. It does not stop those without valid visas/extensions leaving.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

the message is crystal clear - get the appropriate visa/extension to match your stay - or get out.

Yep, they have been quite clear this time. We will be expected to follow the normal immigration laws after sept 26.  Unless the situation unexpectedly worsens and currently operating flights get cancelled, amnesty will end on sept 26.

Make preparations now before it’s too late.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, LOSel said:

1) Could expensive cosmetic dental treatment qualify for a medical extension? What are the actual requirements, during the new "covid era"?

It was reported done this way for 20K Baht:

... but the extension was processed through a remote-office - where the agent's IO-partner works - not where the applicant lived.

6 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

Yep, they have been quite clear this time. We will be expected to follow the normal immigration laws after sept 26.  Unless the situation unexpectedly worsens and currently operating flights get cancelled, amnesty will end on sept 26.

Make preparations now before it’s too late.

Sept 26 will be 6 months of free extensions, more than enough time for everyone to get out that indeed wanted to. 

The people that are still here are the ones that genuinely don't want to leave. Myself included. 

Find a way to stay with a proper visa or prep to leave before Sept 26.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, stoicccc said:

Hard to see the amnesty not being extended further.

"Hard to see the amnesty not being extended further."

It's just August 7 so far. Nothing says that for example, the Cambodian won't open in October. Just relax.

18 hours ago, BritTim said:

1) No. The requirements for a medical extension for those already in Thailand are not the same as those for medical tourism. They are very strict. Travel needs to be impossible. Usually, you need to be an in patient at a major hospital to qualify.

2) No.

3) Some schools, at extra cost, will provide you the option of signing up for a language course without attending classes. They have a special relationship with immigration.

If you talk to a good agent, they will explain options they can assist with. Costs vary a lot.

I understood that you need to enrol for a uni course to get an ED visa.

8 hours ago, asiacurious said:

Gosh, I thought I was reading an old thread from mid-June or something but it turns out all of these comments were from the last half-day or so.

TO THE OP:

There are other kinds of education visas out there.  Don't know if it has to be a Thai language course.  In normal times, when borders are open, you could take Muay Thai classes, cooking classes....

There is at least one Thai language school advertising that they can arrange education visas from Immigration, without using agents.  However, they say they can only do this for for people on tourist visa amnesty.  You don't say what kind of visa you have.  Perhaps other types of schools will be doing this too in the near future?  It's something worth keeping an eye on.

Which school is that?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I disagree, I think it is EASY to see the amnesty not being extended. 

I accept that you cannot always believe what is being said, but at the moment the message is crystal clear - get the appropriate visa/extension to match your stay - or get out.

It is not so easy to get out. Australia has had a 2nd wave and is limiting entries to 30 people per plane. It is hard for airlines to operate under those conditions. There are repatriation flights but they are not cheap. I understood USA Spain Germany and UK at least are still having bad virus outbreaks. We are a bit isolated from it all in Thailand but the situation in the rest of the world is still bad. I have bought my 2nd ticket for late September but with the current situation I think they will cancel it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, G950 said:

People were mostly confident in mid June that there would be an extension, which we got.

The wording from the Thai government with the extension is that of "hey, we have been generous up to a point, but eventually you will need to have a proper visa or get out".

I think there will be a mechanism to apply for a monthly extension once Sept 26 arrives, but the days of auto extensions are probably over. Look forward to generating paperwork and THB 1900 each month if you want to stay after Sept 26 on a tourist visa.

There were many people saying it would not be extended end of July and get ready to be kicked out but maybe they just wanted to troll the people with less secure visa situations.

The wording for this decree is exactly the same as the prior one. Please ask @ubonjoe if you want.

However, having said that it may very well not be extended so people need to consider all their options. There are a number of visa pundits here who believe it unlikely (not impossible) that it will not be extended (BritTim, Tanoshi and PeterDenis have all voiced this opinion and I respect it). I would be happy to go month to month paying for 30 days if that option were available while I try to get back home to Taiwan.

I am currently exploring any option to get back to Taiwan first but may need to do something here as it gets toward the end of August.

10 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

It is not so easy to get out. Australia has had a 2nd wave and is limiting entries to 30 people per plane. It is hard for airlines to operate under those conditions. There are repatriation flights but they are not cheap. I understood USA Spain Germany and UK at least are still having bad virus outbreaks. We are a bit isolated from it all in Thailand but the situation in the rest of the world is still bad. I have bought my 2nd ticket for late September but with the current situation I think they will cancel it.

Australia's second wave really is not that big a deal. Germany and Spain are having large numbers of cases, but the number of serious cases is less than 2% and the death rate is minuscule. The UKs number of new cases is less than Germany or Spain; the problem there is the number of deaths is strangely high. I don't see the situation in Europe as that bad now. It's certainly much better than before and seems manageable now. There are more cases in some countries there, but the death rate has plummeted, except for England. Now the US situation is very bad. Of course the situation is much much better here and elsewhere in Asia.

Having said that air travel is still problematic and will be for quite some time.

Edited by vermin on arrival
  • Confused 1

Your right it's not easy to get out.They should forget about visa's, who's got what type for 6 months

or longer as it is very likely that we will cop this virus if we get out now. I guess we could all become

Monks and stay here with no problems.

12 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

Australia's second wave really is not that big a deal.

It is if you are trying to get there. I have bought my 2nd ticket there. The first was cancelled and given a voucher. I have another ticket but am expecting it to be cancelled from latest report. Even if it isn't cancelled it is to Sydney which is 1000 kms from Melbourne. At present Melbourne is in lockdown. The airport is closed and I don't think there are even buses. I could walk. Otherwise can be homeless in Sydney.  

3 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

It is if you are trying to get there. I have bought my 2nd ticket there. The first was cancelled and given a voucher. I have another ticket but am expecting it to be cancelled from latest report. Even if it isn't cancelled it is to Sydney which is 1000 kms from Melbourne. At present Melbourne is in lockdown. The airport is closed and I don't think there are even buses. I could walk. Otherwise can be homeless in Sydney.  

The train appears to be running. However, with the airport closed, it is very difficult to get bookings on the train.

3 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

I think I didn't express myself properly. I understand that. You are stuck. My point is that the reaction of the Australian government seems extreme in relation to the scale of the outbreak. I am stuck as well. Based on my particular situation, I can't get home to Taiwan.  For sure, I don't see you getting there by Sept 26. I also don't see a possibility to get to my home unless by then unless someone pulls a rabbit out of a hat for me or I get really lucky. We are both screwed. I would think a covid test on either side of travel and 14 day quarantine would be sufficient for both of us to travel to our respective locations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

I think I didn't express myself properly. I understand that. You are stuck. My point is that the reaction of the Australian government seems extreme in relation to the scale of the outbreak. I am stuck as well. Based on my particular situation, I can't get home to Taiwan.  For sure, I don't see you getting there by Sept 26. I also don't see a possibility to get to my home unless by then unless someone pulls a rabbit out of a hat for me or I get really lucky. We are both screwed. I would think a covid test on either side of travel and 14 day quarantine would be sufficient for both of us to travel to our respective locations.

Yes the limit of 30 people per flight makes it difficult. If they had any sense they would increase the numbers of passengers and limit the number of flights. I can't see any logic to the present situation.

• Like 2