New York sues to break up NRA, accuses it of corruption

webfact

6 minutes ago, bendejo said:

Just checked their website, 5 million members, annual membership dues run US$30-45.  Does all that go to paying off politicians?  No.  And that's what this case is about.  Even denounced by Ollie North, who, if you recall the trial in the 1980s, was not shy about dipping his fingers into the expense account. 

When I was a kid the NRA was about giving classes gun safety.  I can't say how it became a nationalist movement, but I guess someone figured a way to bring in more $$$.

But only 5 million, in a country with 300+ million?  How does this make them a force to be reckoned with?  A bunch of greasy crooks is what they are.  Would be ironic if LaPierre met his demise from the dispatch of a disgruntled member.

Yes, because we all know Oliver North is a highly trained crack accountant.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, J Town said:

The NRA is NOT a charitable organization, it is tax-exempt which is a BIG difference. As such it is banned from politicking. Yeah . . . right.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyphillipserb/2018/03/08/ask-the-taxgirl-is-the-nra-a-charity/#14b46cd17dfd

The NRA is most certainly a charitable organization, as your link makes clear:

"Civic leagues or organizations not organized for profit but operated exclusively for the promotion of social welfare, or local associations of employees, the membership of which is limited to the employees of a designated person or persons in a particular municipality, and the net earnings of which are devoted exclusively to charitable, educational, or recreational purposes"

Maybe read your own link properly.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Logosone said:

The NRA is most certainly a charitable organization, as your link makes clear:

"Civic leagues or organizations not organized for profit but operated exclusively for the promotion of social welfare, or local associations of employees, the membership of which is limited to the employees of a designated person or persons in a particular municipality, and the net earnings of which are devoted exclusively to charitable, educational, or recreational purposes"

Maybe read your own link properly.

Charitable, educational or recreational.

So not necessarily charitable, so your quote is meaningless and the conclusion you draw from it is not justified.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, PatOngo said:

No I don't know. Guess what, I'm NOT American! Do you mean there's a Walmart nearby, or is it that every man and his dog has a gun?

The latter as I don't think Manhattan allows any Walmarts.  With all this thieving going on why were no criminal charges laid?