New York sues to break up NRA, accuses it of corruption

webfact

7 minutes ago, pegman said:

The latter as I don't think Manhattan allows any Walmarts.  With all this thieving going on why were no criminal charges laid? 

A thief? Damn it, wherrrre's ma gun?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Oh yes, sure, the timing just "happens" to be "politically inconvenient". Please.

This transparent legal harrassment of one of the principal supporters of Donald Trump is an obviously politically motivated attack.

The person bringing the law suit has called the NRA "a terrorist" organisation when she was campaigning and vowed she would investigate them.

So, clearly there was no real "crime" but Letitia manufactured one. All there is is disgruntled former officials like North complaining about things in the absence of evidence and yes, granted, very high salaries for the current team.

If La Pierre did anything wrong then he should go, it should not affect the NRA, a charitable organisation, at all.

I like politicians that follow through with their promises.  Unlike Trump who said he had a great healthcare plan. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Logosone said:

The NRA is most certainly a charitable organization, as your link makes clear:

"Civic leagues or organizations not organized for profit but operated exclusively for the promotion of social welfare, or local associations of employees, the membership of which is limited to the employees of a designated person or persons in a particular municipality, and the net earnings of which are devoted exclusively to charitable, educational, or recreational purposes"

Maybe read your own link properly.

If the net earnings are devoted to charitable, educational or recreational purposes then why does it support politicians? - In your own words - 'This transparent legal harrassment of one of the principal supporters of Donald Trump is an obviously politically motivated attack.'

Trump is not charitable, educational or recreational.  

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

If the net earnings are devoted to charitable, educational or recreational purposes then why does it support politicians? - In your own words - 'This transparent legal harrassment of one of the principal supporters of Donald Trump is an obviously politically motivated attack.'

Trump is not charitable, educational or recreational.  

The NRA is actually a bundle of organizations. It is through its NRA Political Victory Fund, through which it backs electoral candidates, not through its main welfare organization.

The NRA also runs four affiliated charities: the NRA Foundation, Inc., the NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund, the NRA Freedom Action Foundation and the NRA Special Contribution Fund, which are, contrary to J Town and his dime accountant, in fact full 501(c)(3) groups.

https://theconversation.com/is-the-nra-an-educational-organization-a-lobby-group-a-nonprofit-a-media-outlet-yes-92806

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Logosone said:

The NRA is actually a bundle of organizations. It is through its NRA Political Victory Fund, through which it backs electoral candidates, not through its main welfare organization.

The NRA also runs four affiliated charities: the NRA Foundation, Inc., the NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund, the NRA Freedom Action Foundation and the NRA Special Contribution Fund, which are, contrary to J Town and his dime accountant, in fact full 501(c)(3) groups.

https://theconversation.com/is-the-nra-an-educational-organization-a-lobby-group-a-nonprofit-a-media-outlet-yes-92806

Oh my! I'm sure the NYAG had no idea this was happening.

Edited by J Town
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Prosecuting crimes committed within the jurisdiction of her office are definitely within her responsibility.

And she on it.

Please, if these things happened they have gone on for years, but she just happens to bring the legal action a few weeks before her private hate figure Donald Trump, whom the NRA supports, runs for re-election.

It's very clear what is going on.

This is all about politics, and not about "crimes".

Edited by Logosone
  • Confused 3

39 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Hey, dopey, you forgot the fifth one: NRA Fund to Rehabilitate Victims and Families of Gun Massacres.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Pointing out trump is supporting an alleged corrupt organisation who are one of his supporters both politically and financially, whilst not waiting for the outcome of the judicial process. IMO using the position of POTOS to promote the NRA whilst they are subject to criminal charges is in itself a corrupt influencing attempt.

Agree with that.

But the question remains, how would a Texas move affect the lawsuit?

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So if it’s not about crimes the court will reject the filing, there will be no evidence of crimes, there will be no guilty verdict and there will be no court orders, fines, imprisonments or asset seizures.

I suspect there are crimes and a very clear evidence trail.

However, Trump supporters will ignore the criminality because, as you so rightly state the NRA is a supporter of Trump’s the-election bid.

Let's say, for argument's sake, no evidence has been provided, but just for argument's sake, LaPierre had misappropriated funds from the NRA.

In that case the NRA is the VICTIM, and it is LaPierre who should have been indicted, not the NRA. 

However, the fact that Letitia James does not even hide that her aim is to dissolve the NRA very clearly shows that this is a politically motivated action, and not a bona fide pursuit of criminals.

And of course Lapierre is innocent until found guilty, if at all. So far there is abolutely no criminality, no conviction, no nothing.

• Haha 1

Actually James's approach echoes how the Feds nailed Al Capone. Not for crimes of murder, racketeering, etc., but plain simple tax evasion. The burden of proof was a lot less: lavish lifestyle yet no tax return.

The ideal outcome would be the NRA brass convicted of abetting murder and mayhem. But, hey, we'll take what we can get.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, J Town said:

I just don't get why people go to such lengths to defend criminals. (And I believe that previous "oops" is now gone. Again, sorry about that).

It's a bit harsh to talk like that about Letitia James, abuse of office maybe, but I'm not sure I'd call her a criminal.

I don't know why people defend her so, really, she's clearly abusing her office and politicising it, something she should not be doing.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

It's a bit harsh to talk like that about Letitia James, abuse of office maybe, but I'm not sure I'd call her a criminal.

I don't know why people defend her so, really, she's clearly abusing her office and politicising it, something she should not be doing.

Rubbish. You know better.

Edited by J Town
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1