Attitude of immigration staff

6 minutes ago, PatOngo said:

The uniform gives them power and hides their inferiority complex!

I sure that's the case with some...as it is with government officials around the world over. As for "looking for fault," keep in mind that they are immigration police officers, charged with enforcing Thailand's visa extension laws. They are not part of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, whose job is promoting tourism and long stays in the Kingdom.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I didn't say anything and thanked them when I left.

But would you pay 500 Baht for a 90 day report if the officer asked you? According to your beliefs you would bite your tongue.

• Like 1

They are much better now than they used to be. My first try at an extension in 2006 was handled by a fat aggressive uniformed trout who had no intention of processing it. Having failed at visa out of date and bank letter no good she ended up telling us we had gone there too early- come back in 2 week. As we were leaving she said no not back here we don't really do extensions, and said go Suan Phlu instead (we did not live in Bkk). When i asked why they had the forms then and what did the big sign outside mean saying they did extensions mean she got really nasty and said to the Mrs she did not know how she could be with somebody too stupid to understand immigration law. No point in complaining of course and within two weeks we moved into Bkk anyway. Now it's far better, apart from websites that do not work and the other dodgy online reliability.

• Confused 1

I guess some of the guys here have a target painted on their backs. Ten years of getting extensions here in Chiang Mai never a real problem from Immigration, never been asked to give money, I have been asked for more copies but really is that a big problem. I have been given every extension and 90 day report with no problem. More than likely the majority of people getting service at immigration have never had a problem.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

8 minutes ago, petermik said:

Yes but it would mean less jobs and no warehouses full of useless paperwork...:clap2:

Are they still recycling it by using the reverse page by handing unredacted personal data (Ppt/Bank a/c) to unsuspecting members of the public on the back of a TM7 etc? The practice used to be rife but hopefully is no longer happening.

Edited by evadgib

3 minutes ago, moe666 said:

I have been given every extension and 90 day report with no problem.

Ever had your old passport stamps transferred to your new one? No I didn't think so. 500 Baht is usually asked for, no receipt, when it's a free service.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, moe666 said:

I guess some of the guys here have a target painted on their backs. Ten years of getting extensions here in Chiang Mai never a real problem from Immigration, never been asked to give money, I have been asked for more copies but really is that a big problem. I have been given every extension and 90 day report with no problem. More than likely the majority of people getting service at immigration have never had a problem.

There used to be an old guy in Phuket immigration give him 200 baht and he would do everything all the photocopies, I used to just go outside have a smoke 5 minutes later he'd give me a shout done mine obviously went to the front of the que

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

You're having a laugh. They have to be some of the biggest crooks in Thailand. A bit like letting the patients take charge of the asylum.

I am just sayin' that from my personal experience, I have not experienced any corruption in my dealings with Thai immigration (other than the 100 baht they once kited from me). Of course, my paperwork has always been legitimate and correct so never had any reason to avail myself of any "corruption" if it was offered (if lets say one's paperwork wasn't in order).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

you don't know anything about obnoxious immigration officers until you have suffered them in the US.  Now there is obnoxious and unfriendly, most of them are also stupid and thick. 

And Fat

• Like 1