Trump says coronavirus vaccine possible before Nov. 3

webfact

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

SARS-CoV-2 now adds to the list of coronavirus diseases that have threatened global health, along with the SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) and MERS (Middle East respiratory syndrome) coronaviruses that emerged in 2002/2003 and 2012, respectively. As of April 2020, no vaccine is commercially available for these coronavirus strains.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7177048/

That's the US National library Of Medicine National Institutes of Health, so a fairly respectable establishment.

You wrote "no vaccine has been made that worked on any of the previous corona viruses" which is utterly, 100% wrong, false, mistaken and erroneous.  Don't try and wriggle out of that.

There are several vaccines against coronaviruses.

The fact that there is no commercial vaccine against SARS and MERS in no way makes your original assertion correct.  Those are only two coronaviruses.  There are several more which do have vaccines, some commercial, some not.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

It does not matter want you say anymore, Don. Very few are listening. Very few find you credible. And you will be ushered out of your own swamp within months, anyway. See ya! 

But but but he still has a handful of supporters on here

can't mention any names but you know who you are.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Scott said:

Sorry, but I believe that is incorrect.  There are 7 coronaviruses that have implications for people.  No effective vaccine has been successful for any of them.  SARS never had a vaccine. 

The original poster made no reference to vaccines for humans.  He was attempting (and failing) to make a general point that there were no vaccines against coronaviruses, which is blatantly incorrect.

SARS had a vaccine which was highly effective, but it was never made it to commercial roll out because the disease faded away too quickly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oxx said:

The original poster made no reference to vaccines for humans.  He was attempting (and failing) to make a general point that there were no vaccines against coronaviruses, which is blatantly incorrect.

SARS had a vaccine which was highly effective, but it was never made it to commercial roll out because the disease faded away too quickly.

Well, I am not going to get into the fray, nor am I going to try to find the information again which I had posted quite sometime ago.  I did a rather extensive search on Coronaviruses and one of the glaring points was how quickly they mutate and this makes a vaccine difficult to make.   There was no SARS vaccine, from what I have read.  But I will see what I can find and post it.  

The fact that most scientists are 'cautiously optimistic' is good news and I'm going to go with there assessment of this particular virus.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VBF said:

I get that, but his "random nonsense" isn't very Presidential is it?

Government by Twitter....pullleeezzzeee!!!!!!!

Our own dear Boris (!) has been known to be very un-statesmanlike on numerous occasions too, but I think I trust him to undertake at least some research before yapping!

I didn't vote for him but I did vote for Obama twice in the end I regretted it since he lied about everything he ran on. He screwed up most on what was important to me which was single payer health care in a better form than Canada or England but that went south when he did what a true community organizer does which is hand projects off and allow as much input until the main objective isn't even close that was clearly explained by the House Speaker Nancy Pelosi who I know and represents my district " you have to vote first to see what you are getting " 

Then we got a first black President who when in office couldn't or too scared to help his own people when history have shown they needed the help most because he didn't want to come across as favoring the blacks so he did nothing. He might not have even considered himself black since he went across the world particularly to the MiddleEast and apologize at times I thought the Arabs/Muslim put a body double in the white house.

When Trump announced he was running I said to all my British Coffee buddies in the morning this is going to be one great reality T.V. of all times I never thought he would even make it because I thought all his skeletons playboy buddies stories would come out but his supporters have gotten him this far. When he shocked the world and won I said his great weakness that will blind anything good he does will be Twitter and his big mouth and I'm told everyday that I was right why because I grew up and work with white guys with big mouths like him my whole life does that make him racist no they are born and raise that they can't help themselves.

Obama was smooth, well spoken and very Presidential after 8 years of him I'm kind of happy with Trump especially with China and I'm Chinese American. Being smooth and Presidential don't make you a good President! Personally I hope Trump wins again I just love the drama and I don't do Twitter!

• Sad 2

Many usa citizens are even too anti science distrusting medical experts and politisizing just about everything that they even dont wear mask, so even if there is a vaccine, many usa citizens will find a glorious reason NOT to get vaccinated.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Wrong. Most Covid deaths are from the European strains which are more contagious and potent. Deaths on Trump’s hands for not stopping flights from Europe quickly. He also gave false hope to the people that the virus will go away and was dismissive of science and mask. His poor handling of the pandemic caused the virus to multiply exponentially racking havoc to the economy and caused big unemployment losses. China has 3 potential vaccines in phase 3 and have large manufacturing facilities and don’t need US false help. 

Nonetheless, China's Mask diplomacy was loathsome - and revealed China's real face, non mentioning Chinese firms sending Inappropriate PPE to the world, and last but not least taking advantage / benefit from the strategic products shortages ( ventilators) etc... business is business, business as usual

So, we now have learned and won't forget.  

Edited by Opl

4 hours ago, charmonman said:

Obama in 2014 :

There may and likely will come a time in which we have both an airborne disease that is deadly. And in order for us to deal with that effectively, we have to put in place an infrastructure -- not just here at home, but globally -- that allows us to see it quickly, isolate it quickly, respond to it quickly. And it also requires us to continue the same path of basic research that is being done here at NIH that Nancy is a great example of. So that if and when a new strain of flu, like the Spanish flu, crops up five years from now or a decade from now, we've made the investment and we're further along to be able to catch it. It is a smart investment for us to make. It's not just insurance; it is knowing that down the road we're going to continue to have problems like this -- particularly in a globalized world where you move from one side of the world to the other in a day.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4867324/user-clip-obama-dec-2-2014

This is when he was trying to convince Republicans, who then controlled both houses of congress to make an investment in pandemic preparedness.

Back when the US has a President with a functioning brain.

Come on! It is what it is! ????

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Democrats in the House of Representatives on Thursday introduced legislation that would require the FDA to consult with a panel of experts to ensure a vaccine doesn't get rammed through too fast.

Translation: House Democrats are trying to push through legislation to delay the vaccine because delaying it will help them win the elections.

Evil. That's the only word that comes to mind.

• Confused 3

9 hours ago, charmonman said:

Give the guy a chance? What? He's had his chance!

Right your comment is blinded by the dislike you have for him but that is your choice but when it comes to chances it refers to the vaccine or would it be better to give you your favorite nation and leader of the world CHINA!

If I could give Obama 8 years I not one bit bother if Trump gets another 4 years.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, thailand49 said:

I didn't vote for him but I did vote for Obama twice in the end I regretted it since he lied about everything he ran on. He screwed up most on what was important to me which was single payer health care in a better form than Canada or England but that went south when he did what a true community organizer does which is hand projects off and allow as much input until the main objective isn't even close that was clearly explained by the House Speaker Nancy Pelosi who I know and represents my district " you have to vote first to see what you are getting " 

Then we got a first black President who when in office couldn't or too scared to help his own people when history have shown they needed the help most because he didn't want to come across as favoring the blacks so he did nothing. He might not have even considered himself black since he went across the world particularly to the MiddleEast and apologize at times I thought the Arabs/Muslim put a body double in the white house.

When Trump announced he was running I said to all my British Coffee buddies in the morning this is going to be one great reality T.V. of all times I never thought he would even make it because I thought all his skeletons playboy buddies stories would come out but his supporters have gotten him this far. When he shocked the world and won I said his great weakness that will blind anything good he does will be Twitter and his big mouth and I'm told everyday that I was right why because I grew up and work with white guys with big mouths like him my whole life does that make him racist no they are born and raise that they can't help themselves.

Obama was smooth, well spoken and very Presidential after 8 years of him I'm kind of happy with Trump especially with China and I'm Chinese American. Being smooth and Presidential don't make you a good President! Personally I hope Trump wins again I just love the drama and I don't do Twitter!

Each to his own I suppose.

15 hours ago, thailand49 said:

My reply for sure was going to get me in trouble. 

Edited by earlinclaifornia
  • Like 2