100 billion baht rescue package for Thai tourism mooted - foreign tourists wanted before year's end

webfact

4 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

The part about the vaccine is simply not true and my company has the pre- bookings to prove it!

What they 100% will NOT do is, spending 2 weeks INSIDE a hotel room, that they have to pay for and waste precious holiday- days on that BS!

Your self claimed pre bookings proof me nothing. 12 hours flights are not going to happen until a working vaccine with or without a 2 weeks quarantine. 

15 hours ago, belfast3 said:

Nothing would happen.

No-one in their right mind is going to pay for tests, visa, flights and a 60k quarantine package and risk being denied and all that money going to waste. 

I love Thailand, I spend most of the year there and have a visa that would enable me to return now, but there are simply too many hoops to jump through, too much expense, stress and hassle. 

If I was planning to stay several months, as say a winter bird escaping Europe and its virus problems, I wouldn't mind the process I outlined above.... especially if the Thais streamlined the application process on their end.

In my scenario, there would be no risk of being denied. You get and pass the preflight test, have insurance, make your ASQ arrangements and buy an airplane ticket, and you're done.

• Like 2

The requirement for quarantine is not unique to Thailand.

Most countries in Europe are requiring tourists to quarantine upon arrival. France, Germany, Austria, Czech Rep, Estonia, Ireland and Bulgaria to name a few. Also N. America, many countries in S. America and Australia have quarantine rules for travelers in place.

And yet many are still holidaying this summer.

People here just wanna bash Thailand. The Thai government has many-many deficiencies in the way the country is run but all these armchair politicians here act as if they could run a country any better?

• Like 1

The artivle states, and I quote,  "Under this plan only those from countries deemed to have the virus under control would be allowed entry and they would then be subject to quarantine and severe restrictions on where they are allowed to go. 

Wichit said that this was better and safer than the previously mooted "travel bubble".

Countries that would be eligible were China, Taiwan, the US and those in Europe, reported TPBS. "

May I ask if the US with millions of cases and thousands of death daily, as well as some European countries with spiking cases daily, are considered "countries having the virus under control" ?

I fully appreciate and understand the worries of the tourism industry and appreciate their despair. However, by irresponsibly suggesting allowing tourists is asking for troubles, which may lead to a complete lock down. The Thai authorities have been doing all that is necessary to control the virus and luckily for all of us living here, have been extremely successful. The government has been doing what is possible under the circumstances to subsidize and encourage domestic tourism, but it is wrong to ask the government to change its successful policy and undermine its success.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Someone explain to him that nobody from Europe is even thinking about flying to Asia without a working vaccine so meanwhile the tourist industry workers better should shift back to farming rice.

@Destiny1990 thanks for speaking for the whole of europe.  funny that cuz plenty of people flying already around europe now so what difference is flying further gonna make? also you obviously dont read the comments on here theres plenty of people still willing to fly to asia vaccine or not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Under this plan only those from countries deemed to have the virus under control would be allowed entry and they would then be subject to quarantine and severe restrictions on where they are allowed to go. 

Wichit said that this was better and safer than the previously mooted "travel bubble".

Countries that would be eligible were China, Taiwan, the US and those in Europe, reported TPBS. 

It gets funnier and funnier everyday ......."Eejits" 

• Like 1

RE - Under this plan only those from countries deemed to have the virus under control would be allowed entry and they would then be subject to quarantine and severe restrictions on where they are allowed to go. 

* With such an approach to reality they will most likely end up making  invitations through their famous black-list ...

3 minutes ago, apetryxx said:

Talk about hysteria over something that amounts to nothing much more than a cold virus on steroids. The collateral damage from the economic free fall is far worse than the disease itself. Get a grip folks.

1 MILLION %!!

46 minutes ago, Mung said:

A vaccine looks like it is almost certainly going to be effective, because this virus mutates rather slowly unlike for example HIV which rapidly mutates, and renders a vaccine is obsolete. The vaccine for COVID-19 utilises manufactured proteins that resemble the virus, and so the it tricks the body into making antibodies against this specific virus. Those antibodies only last for 3-4 months however, but also created are memory T cells that do last many years. Multiple pharmaceutical entities are in the final phases of the vaccine rollout, and if things go ahead as planned, doses should be given around the start of 2021. IF the vaccine fails, we are going to have to go for herd immunity and purposely infect everybody so those memory T cells are created, and then the virus will die out simply because everybody is immune to it. Thailand will not have any shred of tourism until 1 of these scenarios plays out. 

The vaccine may be iffy.  There are now too many in press walking back original positive comments to it may take many doses, or may take longer to develop.  But for certain there are plenty of takers on the billions governments around the world are willing to pay for development.  I suspect success will always be just few more months and few more million dollars away.

• Like 1

This is breaking news as it happens,no stimulus package is going to do anything,a vaccine is the only way forward!

When the world's largest booking engine is running of fuels, this means bookings are already nonexistent, which means 2/3 seasons are gone, which means a lot worst than all the other news, Lufthansa says 2024 before turnaround, Australia not opening doors,A second wave beginning slowly in Europe as again...

FRIDAY 07TH AUGUST 2020

Published on Thursday, August 6, 2020 

Thousands of jobs to go at Booking.com

bookingholdingslogo(9).png

Booking.com is shrinking its global workforce by about one quarter.

The grim market conditions caused by Covid-19 will lead to the elimination of at least 4,000 jobs.

CEO Glenn Fogel described the pandemic as 'the largest social and economic crisis of our lifetime' in a call to workers as the job cuts were unveiled.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mung said:

A vaccine looks like it is almost certainly going to be effective, because this virus mutates rather slowly unlike for example HIV which rapidly mutates, and renders a vaccine is obsolete. The vaccine for COVID-19 utilises manufactured proteins that resemble the virus, and so the it tricks the body into making antibodies against this specific virus. Those antibodies only last for 3-4 months however, but also created are memory T cells that do last many years. Multiple pharmaceutical entities are in the final phases of the vaccine rollout, and if things go ahead as planned, doses should be given around the start of 2021. IF the vaccine fails, we are going to have to go for herd immunity and purposely infect everybody so those memory T cells are created, and then the virus will die out simply because everybody is immune to it. Thailand will not have any shred of tourism until 1 of these scenarios plays out. 

I dont share your optimism for a vaccine, and even if I did the timing is unknown. I'd be unwilling to take a vaccine thats not been around for a couple of years anyway.

• Like 2