100 billion baht rescue package for Thai tourism mooted - foreign tourists wanted before year's end

webfact

Some great flight prices in Europe at present and the cities are mostly free of tourists, just booked London to Rome to Athens to London for £75. Thailand and other locked countries are going to decimate their tourism industries by being closed. The risk opening up is having imported infections, catch 22.

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Like 2

OK look, forget tourism for a while. It can't happen. Your focus should be on encouraging businesses to relocated from China to Thailand. While you're sleeping businesses are moving to Vietnam and they will be the big winner. Get in the real game.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, WhatsNext said:

2) Flood Pattaya so that it will be an island and the virus will stay there, everyone welcome

Excellent idea, cut all motorways from BKK. Start the flooding at the Central basement to get rid of the source of all evil.

14 minutes ago, Alex80 said:

Yes, you did.

In EU virus spread is under control in the majority of countries and we have opened borders again within EU and Schengen area with almost no restrictions.
Here in Italy in 80% of the country the life is almost back to normal, with a few safety regulations. In my whole region we have about 10 new covid positive a week, and we are testing heavily.

In my opinion, "under control" means a linear spread of the virus (and not a geometric progression) well below health system capacity. This is what we have in EU now.

The "R". Yes, many places are below 1. Europe seems to be finding it's stride, putting the effort in management instead of fighting windmills. I think it'll be a good strategy.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kamma said:

The requirement for quarantine is not unique to Thailand.

Most countries in Europe are requiring tourists to quarantine upon arrival. France, Germany, Austria, Czech Rep, Estonia, Ireland and Bulgaria to name a few. Also N. America, many countries in S. America and Australia have quarantine rules for travelers in place.

And yet many are still holidaying this summer.

People here just wanna bash Thailand. The Thai government has many-many deficiencies in the way the country is run but all these armchair politicians here act as if they could run a country any better?

Nobody's Thai bashing, but there has been lots of Farang bashing in Thailand.

If Thailand is serious about getting Farang tourists back it needs to be a lot Farang friendly tahn is has been in the recent past, otherwise Farangs will just go elsewhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimGant said:

Excellent post, with all the aspects to ponder. The key question is, of course, what is the trade off between a manageable infection rate and a viable economy -- with the equally subjective question of what defines "manageable."

With all the resources looking for a vaccine, are similar resources being used to look for a near-instantaneous test for corvid-19? If not, it should -- because if folks can be near-instantaneously tested before getting on the airplane, with a high probability of very few false negatives, international travel and tourism can once again take off. Presumably, a few false negatives could be dealt with (and maybe even another test prior to de-planing would be in order, to trap a previous false negative, or maybe a toilet seat encounter during the flight). Anyway, there may be testing soon that will eliminate the tourist-killing requirement for a 14-day quarantine. As such, all the world's pent-up tourists, particularly the affluent retirees whose incomes haven't been affected by the pandemic, may once again be able to travel. And where would they like to go? Well, probably to a virus free bubble like New Zealand or Thailand.... which requires these countries to keep doing what they've been doing, to a large degree anyway.

Interesting decision making for a yet defined perfect mix.

The only way forward currently is the testing before and after a flight as a vaccine is a long way of, of course the owners of the ASQ Hotels won’t be happy if they lose their 14 Day Quarantine Customers, I think they will be lobbying the government to continue with that to maintain their income.

• Like 1

This virus will never be under control, its stupid to think otherwise and for the really stupid who just think its a cold go and do some research and look up all the people who have had it and survived, young ones have to have a rest after climbing the stairs in their house, blood clots, heart attacks, strokes and brain issues to name a few. This virus results in major damage to organs with nobody knowing how, why or which will be affected. You do NOT want this virus in any form. Tourism in the sense of crossing borders freely is dead and gone for the foreseeable future. Do not listen to BS from any country trying to bolster its tourism industry they are just attempting to delay the inevitable, which is a total and utter collapse. Be careful, be safe.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, paulikens said:

@Destiny1990 thanks for speaking for the whole of europe.  funny that cuz plenty of people flying already around europe now so what difference is flying further gonna make? also you obviously dont read the comments on here theres plenty of people still willing to fly to asia vaccine or not.

I know plenty of people going on holiday, I know someone who's from the UK and in Turkey right now 

Edited by Mung
  • Like 2

"Under this plan only those from countries deemed to have the virus under control would be allowed entry and they would then be subject to quarantine and severe restrictions on where they are allowed to go." 

"Countries that would be eligible were China, Taiwan, the US and those in Europe"

With more than  5,000,000 (5 MILLION) cases, and HUNDREDS more each day (sometimes THOUSANDS) I would hardly deem them to have the virus under control - or do the Thai politicians believe everything that comes out of Trump's mouth in the same way as they believe everything their own Ministers say?

And even in Europe, with the number of cases in the UK sitting at 308,134, with 46,413 deaths and hundreds of new cases each day resulting in places like Leicester under lockdown again. and many other places facing new restrictions, I wouldn't think that they have it "under control"

(P.S. I am a Brit, and the way my countrymen ignore the rules is sickening - kudos to the majority of the Thai people for at least recognising the danger, and taking the advice seriously - pity the Army didn't!) 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

this is sound like a PR stunt and for public consumption to show that the are still relevant and justify their positions and big salaries where many airlines are not predicting things to go back to normal anytime soon but that will not those talking heads from dreaming big...

... while most of their fired employees and tour guides did not even receive the 5000b.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sambum said:

"Under this plan only those from countries deemed to have the virus under control would be allowed entry and they would then be subject to quarantine and severe restrictions on where they are allowed to go." 

"Countries that would be eligible were China, Taiwan, the US and those in Europe"

With more than  5,000,000 (5 MILLION) cases, and HUNDREDS more each day (sometimes THOUSANDS) I would hardly deem them to have the virus under control - or do the Thai politicians believe everything that comes out of Trump's mouth in the same way as they believe everything their own Ministers say?

And even in Europe, with the number of cases in the UK sitting at 308,134, with 46,413 deaths and hundreds of new cases each day resulting in places like Leicester under lockdown again. and many other places facing new restrictions, I wouldn't think that they have it "under control"

(P.S. I am a Brit, and the way my countrymen ignore the rules is sickening - kudos to the majority of the Thai people for at least recognising the danger, and taking the advice seriously - pity the Army didn't!) 

Thailand has a lot of work to do if it wants free spending farangs to come back here when they open up the country again, and asking people to quarantine for 2 weeks isn't one of then and neither is jumping through hoops to get a 3 month visa.

The Farangs will find other countries to go to if Thailand doesn't become more Farnag tourist friendly.

• Like 1

If they think tourists are going to come in by the thousands with a lot of restrictions  they need to think again... if they are going to let some tourists in they need to sort things out now..ie flight going in,3 of the biggest tourist companies are pulling out Thailand now..

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mung said:

I know plenty of people going on holiday, I know someone who's from the UK and in Turkey right now 

oh well, we all must be misinformed then, all is well in the tourist industry, don't know what all the fuss is about cause your mates in Turkey so must be alright.... wake up.

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I think it is time for Thailand to re-evaluate its Virus Response policy.

Not really, it's far too late for that.

If Thailand really has had no mass spread of this virus of whatever it mutated from then it will quickly become the worst currently affected country in the world at the time.

Everyone news channel will be watching, everyone will be talking and reporting on it as they go through the same stages that other countries like the UK, Spain, Italy and France have already been through.

Nobody would want to come until it's all over which will take us into next year sometime.

I suggest they stick with what they have and make the most of it. Then gear up for a return to normal in about a years time, if they're lucky.

• Like 2