100 billion baht rescue package for Thai tourism mooted - foreign tourists wanted before year's end

webfact

4 minutes ago, sambum said:

"Thailand is so irresistible, that a tourist will spend $2,000 to $4,000 for quarantine, spend a two week prison sentence in a hotel room, and then be subject to extreme restrictions? What planet are these people living on?" 

"the longer tourists stay away from Thailand, the harder it will be to get them to come back."

Absolutely correct on both counts, and in many cases I think they will NEVER come back having found more "tourist friendly" destinations. And of course, you have the knock on effect of them telling their friends and neighbours and workmates how "Amazing" Thailand really is!

Excellent post and so true

I'm a "tourist" already here, a teacher still on my amnesty extended tourist visa from my last run, before the Corona lockdown. When are you quit messing around, and just stamp my Non-B already?

Hotels aren't really my thing, as I'm already renting a condo, but I'll be happy to patronize plenty of the fine eating and drinking establishments desperate for customers, as I've been doing. ????????????????

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

50% discount on all beers you might get a few takers

That's a lot of beers consumed to make up for the 100k plus Coe and ASQ and Government priced flight. 

Plus Covid19 testing.

Pre flight.

On arrival. 

Day 11 of ASQ.

And of course the fit to fly medical certificate. 

And compulsory insurance coverage for the duration. 

I have a retirement extensions visa Non O. 

And a home in Buriram province, but the 140k baht cost of getting back to Thailand and my partner is just not feasible for me..

Not yet.

5 months out of LOS already,  but... life goes on. 

4 minutes ago, Mung said:

the point is that people have been travelling in and around Europe for weeks. Here in the UK the airports have been open for a long time, and the reason we don't have insane infection rates are because we have understood how to minimise infection, while living a normal life. Most people will not chance going on holiday, but quite a few are. Thailand needs to stop acting so anal about this, and actually adopt and apply measures to allow the country to even try and thrive in such a crisis. It could technically not be over for a few years yet at a worst case scenario, will Thailand still have it's borders closed in 2023?

Well, I've just booked for 4 days in Rome and 4 days in Athens. All the tourist attractions are pretty quiet, so I'm grabbing the chance to see them whilst they are, Airbnb rates have dropped too.

• Like 2

I dont give a rats what thailand throws into the tourist industry to get me to go.

If the country i am in wants me to quarantine when i get back then im not going anywhere. No matter what thailand does.

My first choice at this stage is vietnam, i trust them more than the thai figures.

• Like 1

I had a meeting in kuala lumpur today. Got in an elevator and saw a strip of foam with lots of tooth pics. You take a toothpic and use it to push the floor number, then put it in a cup.

Never saw that before. Masks are compulsory.

Meeting the prime minister and the king on sunday, will be interesting the protocol protection for that.

10 minutes ago, Mung said:

the point is that people have been travelling in and around Europe for weeks. Here in the UK the airports have been open for a long time, and the reason we don't have insane infection rates are because we have understood how to minimise infection, while living a normal life. Most people will not chance going on holiday, but quite a few are. Thailand needs to stop acting so anal about this, and actually adopt and apply measures to allow the country to even try and thrive in such a crisis. It could technically not be over for a few years yet at a worst case scenario, will Thailand still have it's borders closed in 2023?

I completely agree with all that. I amy have misunderstood your post, I thought you were trying to suggest this is all a hoax and everything is alright in the tourist industry, sorry fella. 2023 it could be, but I hope 2022 as it gives the virus 2 years to burn out which is pretty much the timeframe of pandemics of the past. but as i have just posted balance is the key, you cant stop it now,, but people need to eat so a cautious and controled balancing act is needed which Thailand seem incapable of doing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jwbrit said:

OK look, forget tourism for a while. It can't happen. Your focus should be on encouraging businesses to relocated from China to Thailand. While you're sleeping businesses are moving to Vietnam and they will be the big winner. Get in the real game.

Bit to late they are relocating to Vietnam

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sujo said:

I had a meeting in kuala lumpur today. Got in an elevator and saw a strip of foam with lots of tooth pics. You take a toothpic and use it to push the floor number, then put it in a cup.

Never saw that before. Masks are compulsory.

Meeting the prime minister and the king on sunday, will be interesting the protocol protection for that.

There are ways and means of managing Covid, the Thai way is close the borders and let businesses go bust and people starve.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

this is sound like a PR stunt and for public consumption to show that the are still relevant and justify their positions and big salaries 

The Association of Thai Travel Agents' (ATTA) chief Wichit Prakopkoson promoted the "Save (sic) and Sealed" travel plan

Clearly slogans like that is worth the big bucks ????

I'm not interested,

To get some tourist back ;

- stop double standards

- same price for thai/farang at all venues

- get rid of this corrupt government and replace all policemen with real policemen

- stop cheating tourist

- safe roads

- etc etc

I can go on for hours but the 3 monkies will never understand.

Situation will worsen by the day and I don't mind.

• Like 1

so the hotels are begging for money and government advisors ae saying stricter border vigilance is required.

As the nature of this country's government tends towards "law & order" via dictums their natural bias is towards strict controls....... it will be interesting if they can relinquish their inbuilt  flex actions enough to save the economy from total collapse.

despite their low ?Covid figures the baht is receiving a huge international battering, so it looks as if the international community are not impressed with this governments reliance of states of emergencies and nape-of-the-neck dictums.

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sitanonchai said:

I'm not interested,

To get some tourist back ;

- stop double standards

- same price for thai/farang at all venues

- get rid of this corrupt government and replace all policemen with real policemen

- stop cheating tourist

- safe roads

- etc etc

I can go on for hours but the 3 monkies will never understand.

Situation will worsen by the day and I don't mind.

All very laudable, but has absolutely nothing to do with the present crisis which issued on the governments handling of Covid.

Before Covid even with the faults you point out, they managed to attract nearly 40 million visitors - that is now almost zero..... a big slice out of 20% of the Thai economy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

this is sound like a PR stunt and for public consumption to show that the are still relevant and justify their positions and big salaries where many airlines are not predicting things to go back to normal anytime soon but that will not those talking heads from dreaming big...

PR stunt! what part, the thousands of mass graves currently happening in South America? The thousands of scientists and the worlds best virologists working round the clock to find a vaccine? Who exactly is coordinating this global PR stunt,, be specific please..

6 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

All very laudable, but has absolutely nothing to do with the present crisis which issued on the governments handling of Covid.

Before Covid even with the faults you point out, they managed to attract nearly 40 million visitors - that is now almost zero..... a big slice out of 20% of the Thai economy.

A very big slice out 21.6% in 2018 I read recently. I saw an infographic on this forum, the Chinese were around 48% of their tourism, western countries wasn't high as I thought they would be. It will be a very slow recovery for Thai tourism.

Found it on Google, March 2019. Most of the biggest countries tourists come from are either locked or have 14 day state quarantine when returning.

2-3.jpg

Edited by tribalfusion001
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Someone explain to him that nobody from Europe is even thinking about flying to Asia without a working vaccine so meanwhile the tourist industry workers better should shift back to farming rice.

Nobody? That’s not true. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

If Thailand really has had no mass spread of this virus of whatever it mutated from then it will quickly become the worst currently affected country in the world at the time.

Everyone news channel will be watching, everyone will be talking and reporting on it as they go through the same stages that other countries like the UK, Spain, Italy and France have already been through.

Interesting view. That would be an absolutely massive, world destroying loss of face for Thais. When everyone else has it under control already and Thailand becomes the last lost tribe in the Amazons ravaged by the latest mutation.

Might explain the paranoia.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 2

I think all the traffic is one way... OUT ... your moronic TAT.... no one wants to come here, after 15 years of living here I never want to return... its a floating turd in a barrel surrounded by hookers, scammers, killers corruption, drunk drivers commiting hit and run and high level homosexuals in power... 

Edited by fraggleRock
  • Haha 1