Cost of Compressor

My GF in Surin just had her A/C compressor replaced with the total cost of 6000 baht.  That seems low to me, am I wrong?

It is an older Isuzu pickup truck, converted for use as a school bus.

1596776299897.jpg

• Haha 1

The reason I ask, is not that I want to pay more, it is because if it is too cheap, maybe they didn't actually change the compressor.  Maybe they just changed a belt or adjusted something and charged for a compressor.  You know kind of like buying a 1/2 price phone on Lazada.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

You know kind of like buying a 1/2 price phone on Lazada.

Do a quick search "ac compressor for isuzu thailand" - average price ~5,000, 6k sounds about the right price

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AAArdvark said:

The reason I ask, is not that I want to pay more, it is because if it is too cheap, maybe they didn't actually change the compressor.  Maybe they just changed a belt or adjusted something and charged for a compressor.  You know kind of like buying a 1/2 price phone on Lazada.

I guess you just have to ask them about that. Nobody here knows what they have been doing. Of course, there is a small possibility that they might try to tell you something that are not 100% true. ????

Here you have something from Google

The cost of an AC compressor unit can range from $195 to $736 for the part itself, while the cost for parts and labor can be between $376 to $986. This will depend on the model of car and how much work is involved in the repair, with some units being substantially more difficult to replace than others.

Regarding the labour cost in Thailand that is almost 0, then it sounds totally right.

Edited by Matzzon

A photo of the alleged new compressor in-situ would be informative.

A brand new genuine Isuzu compressor would probably be ฿20k plus.  OE ones from third-party supplier a bit cheaper.

If you paid ฿6k then around 1k will have been for regas and fitting (its any easy job). So 5k for the compressor which means a secondhand or 'rebuilt' unit, or just possibly a Chinese copy...

9 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

And this is what she wound up paying:

1596857148722.thumb.jpg.33b76edd9af4967368a35dc2f565c612.jpg

Looks like the 6,000 was rounded up from 5.900 and that was the price of the part. Terrible handwriting. Looks like your compressor came without a clutch which was an additional charge (maybe just for refitting the original).

No idea what line item 3 relates to.

You were charged for the initial diagnosis (line item 1) and it seems subsequent labor was added in increments.

No part numbers quoted, so what you now have is a mystery.

If it's working you're winning. Hope it stays that way.

On 8/7/2020 at 7:15 AM, Don Mega said:

AC Compressor for that old Dmax is Bt.3200 on Lazada.

Bt.2800 to fit it and gas the system is a bit expensive if you ask me.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/compressor-isuzu-dmax-2003-2005-2-vinn-i527734212-s947008896.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.21.271175cfA0RQKC&search=1

You expect a garage to retail parts at the same price you can buy them on lazada? Part of the way a car repair business makes its income is from parts profit which can easily be 50%

1 hour ago, Lancashirelad said:

You expect a garage to retail parts at the same price you can buy them on lazada? Part of the way a car repair business makes its income is from parts profit which can easily be 50%

There is a lot of nasty Chinese-made copy parts appearing all over the world on eBay, Lazada etc etc...   Alternators, brake calipers, A/C compressors, suspenSion arms. Most of it is junk.  OK to fit if you are about the sell the car but it will not stand the test of time. If you must do a cheap repair then I would rather fit a used OE part than Chinese junk made from monkey-metal.

• Like 1