Unclaimed Cadaver what happen?

poloshirt

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Not necessarily selfish. Maybe just poor social skills.

In any case, ss he is still alive, he can still build new bridges.  And that should be his priority.

I am in TOTAL AGREEMENT with this........... BUT........ I know a few 'farangs' in Thailand..... Who have gone to Thailand (and Costa Rica), (among others) because they have 'burned all the bridges behind them'...... NOBODY loves them at HOME..... (but they do have family).........  I am a firm believer in percentages......... and I know of more than I like, who fit in that group........... I know many in both groups, and just want to point out 'this possibility' since I don't know this poster........ 

I think......... If you give LOVE, you should receive LOVE.............

Cadaver is not the usual description of mortal remains, but that aside.

suggest to go to a Lawyer to Draft an “advance directive” in the prescribed format. 

just a note in your pocket is not enough for a medical professional to stop treatment.

Edited by KKr

13 minutes ago, kensawadee said:

i JUST CAN'T IMAGINE........ having no living relatives at home who still love you enough and want to know about and help out when you die....... Personally I work hard at maintaing a 'LOVE' with my friends, family, children, and a couple of ex's......

YOU must have 'burned all the bridges behind you' and can't go back..... I know a number of farangs in Thailand who 'DON'T HAVE ANYBODY'............. Frikkin SAD...........  indicatative of a 'selfish' past.....

Not necessarily , some of us are quite happy living apart from any relatives and having no contact with them and having new lives with new friends .

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

Not necessarily , some of us are quite happy living apart from any relatives and having no contact with them and having new lives with new friends .

Cheers.......... 

I feel that everyone who knows me, Is concerned for me......... I have worked hard for that 'relationship'.... Cheers.....

21 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Maybe you could contact the Embassy and inform them of your wishes ?

But dont worry now too much , as it wont be a problem for you later

Agreed, my first thought upon reading the post. Many of us have a Will but our Embassy, I would think, would be in the best position to advise their citizens. Remaining bank accounts? Could state in Will a designated charity if you have no significant other sharing your life.

Edited by wwest5829

22 hours ago, poloshirt said:

I often contemplate on life and myself in this universe, this huge universe what am I ? Nothing

Not just you, my friend.  Our entire planet also ranks as nothing, less than a microscopic speck in the universe.  And that's okay, even fine.

Edited by oobar

In similar circumstances and for reference. A few years ago when I was a volunteer with the Tourist Police, myself and other colleagues were made aware of one local ex-pat friend being taken seriously ill and admitted to our Government Provincial Hospital where we visited him. He lived alone and apart from some casual Thai lady friends, kept more or less to himself. He sadly passed away and we volunteers became officially involved through our Tourist Police office, assisting the hospital. In the first instance we informed his Embassy in Bangkok and sent a copy of his passport for identification purposes. It soon transpired that his remaining family back in his home country had, for personal reasons, disowned him and offered no further assistance. He was basically a "loner", and nobody had any idea of his bank and/or financial situation. It then became a matter between his Embassy and the Provincial Hospital. We volunteers were later informed (no documentary evidence submitted for confirmation) that his body had been reverently cremated in the hospital incinerator as there were "insufficient funds" for a Buddhist temple cremation. No one knew this at the time. Some of you may find this upsetting but RIP old friend from the volunteers.

I now live in Cambodia and am no longer associated with the Thai Tourist Police.

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

As mentioned above, set up an advanced directive and disposition of finances documentation with a law firm and keep care on you.  

The law firm can set aside funds and make arrangements for cremation, or contact the temple of your choice and pre-pay (donate) the funds for a Buddhist ceremony & cremation if that is what you want.

7 hours ago, CM Dad said:

For Americans at least, cremation cannot take place until the Embassy or Consulate gives official, written permission to release the body.  This permission can take days, weeks, or even months. 

You can greaty shorten that by registering with the Embassy listing an emergency contact and making sure that contact knows your wishes and (if it is not them) who the next of kin are.

The Embassy will give permission to release the body as soon as they get the OK from next of kin

I think other Embassies are similar. It is to avoid complaints from family back home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kensawadee said:

i JUST CAN'T IMAGINE........ having no living relatives at home who still love you enough and want to know about and help out when you die....... Personally I work hard at maintaing a 'LOVE' with my friends, family, children, and a couple of ex's......

YOU must have 'burned all the bridges behind you' and can't go back..... I know a number of farangs in Thailand who 'DON'T HAVE ANYBODY'............. Frikkin SAD...........  indicatative of a 'selfish' past.....

No, I am not selfish and I didn't burn all the bridges.  My elder brother owns a company that makes a lot of electrical stuffs and also designs many mechanical parts for overseas companies. I don't want any help from him because he is very selfish, not me. From childhood you could see the selfishness manifested itself.

Other relatives? I just don't want to give them problems.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 2:18 PM, poloshirt said:

No, no, that comment is ok with me. I often contemplate on life and myself in this universe, this huge universe what am I ? Nothing

We all come to nothing you know.  What bloodline they talking about is just ignorance on their part.

If you suddenly died, the police just have to find out who you are and where you come from. Then they will contact your embassy,and they'll take it from there. They will contact the home office and they will probably in no time find out whether you have a next of kin or not. 

9 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

Attached here is a Living Will from Bangkok Hospital in both English and Thai format. I'm sure it would be accepted at most any hospital. If you have a preferred hospital, take it there and have it put in your file for future use. 

living will form Eng and Thai.pdf 738.91 kB · 3 downloads

Really kind of you to send the form(pdf).  Thank you.

18 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

If you suddenly died, the police just have to find out who you are and where you come from. Then they will contact your embassy,and they'll take it from there. They will contact the home office and they will probably in no time find out whether you have a next of kin or not. 

So it's quite simple really isn't it?  I just wish I will die in my sleep so I don't bother anyone with unnecessary work you know. Running a round trying to keep you alive is just a waste of time and energy.

On 8/7/2020 at 5:20 PM, poloshirt said:

The embassy will think I am mad because nobody does that. May be they will say to me, "Go easy on that Chang Beer, ok?"

Actually you can record, on-line, your wishes on passing with some embassies. My embassy knows that they are not to contact anybody at all in my original country.

Whether the police would act on what's on your card might be complicated because (i'm guessing) there's no signature.

I do know that in some circumstances (don't know full details of this) the police hold the body for an amount of time (I think it's 60 days) then the police are required by regulations to arrange a pawpers simple cremation at a not expensive temple. 

I'm aware of this actually happening when an American I knew as an acquaintance, not a friend, was found dead on the living room floor about 8 years ago. He had no money, no Thai or western friends in LOS (he was an unpleasant man).

The police did find a brother in the US, he confirmed he was the brother and also said that he wanted to have nothing to do with the dead man or his funeral of any other matter and 'please don't call me again'.

The US embassy was helpful but ultimately the police arranged the pawpers funeral. As above I think it was at 60 days.   

Your way too young to pass on at 60. I'm 75 and looking forward to another 25 years.

Please take care of yourself.

Edited by scorecard

8 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Yes, I quite agree with you. Some relatives would rather you drop dead because they find they couldn't get any financial benefit from you.

You may not judge your relatives by their financial status but they do judge you by your financial status that is where the problem lies. So I don't visit them at all.

Except for one elder brother whom I love so much but God took him away when he was only 42.

On 8/7/2020 at 2:17 PM, Grumpy one said:

The only thing that will happen if you have money on you when you die is it wont be on you for very long :shock1:

I find it hard to believe strangers will steal money from a dead body. While they drink the beers with those money do they have kind thoughts about this stranger who so graciously died, leaving some money for beer for him.

You could make a will in both Thai and your own language stating what should happen to you when you pass you could then give a copy to your local Tessaban office as well as leaving one with a friend and one in your property I suggest you put in writing that you have no living relatives and your wishes for a cremation in your local temple you could then decide where you want your belongings going as well as your money maybe to your local temple or your local animal rescue centre. I am sure you have many years in front of you I’m holding a will for a friend who told me more than 10 years ago that he wouldn’t live to see another Christmas I call him every Christmas Day and ask him do you want me to hold onto your will just as a reminder I’ll most probably gone before him ????????????

On 8/8/2020 at 1:31 PM, poloshirt said:

No, I am not selfish and I didn't burn all the bridges.  My elder brother owns a company that makes a lot of electrical stuffs and also designs many mechanical parts for overseas companies. I don't want any help from him because he is very selfish, not me. From childhood you could see the selfishness manifested itself.

Other relatives? I just don't want to give them problems.

I'm guessing that maybe you have some kind of pension pot, savings, insurances

or other financial dealings. I would be more concerned with those things being

administered and going to beneficiaries of my choice, rather than what happens 

to my mortal remains which, in the face of it, when you're dead are of no use to

anyone and certainly not worth tuppence.