Living Here Gets Better for Some and Worse for Others - Why

Pilotman

1 minute ago, Madgee said:

I'm quite content with my simple life in a fairly quiet town suburb. Meet up with some friends now and then, potter around in my little garden and keep abreast of local and world news. 

Got to admit, things like this do p!ss me off ........... 

Screen-Shot-2563-08-07-at-11.55.03-1536x

Now I'm going to have a long chat with my Thai dog and let him know how I feel!     ????

I actually quite like this Thai sense of cohesion and national pride.

When that general was saying no vaccine against hatred of your country I know just what he meant. Back at home so many people literally dislike their own country they trash the place.

Thai people's sense of pride, national pride, their graceful manners those are all good. Of course that can spill over into exclusion of foreigners, that's a pan Asian thing, with Japanese, Koreans, Chinese, some of them anyway, thinking foreigners should not mingle with us. Of course you get that in Europe as well.

For me I don't see dislike of foreigners as a problem, more the bad air, driving, lack of education, no English, lose dogs, the usual. That's not being negative, that's just being realistic. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Some of us have been fortunate enough to find an outstanding woman, who is delightful to be around, on a daily basis, always has our back, and is fun, smart, and lovely.

I've found several ...... why limit yourself to one, when there are so many hungry women around in Thailand.

• Haha 2

Older Brits and Germans especially seem to be most unhappy. ???? They have this idealized version of their home country in their heads and continuously compare Thailand to that fiction. On the other hand Thais and Asians in general are not the most open people to foreigners and can be quite xenophobic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pilotman said:

For me, the longer I stay here, the more comfortable  I get.  Yes it has frustrations, but it is clear to me that I am in the right place, living the right life for me.

Great topic and well done as it opens up how we all feel here.

I moved here 5 years ago after many years of planning it my wife who lived with me in Sydney for 9 years.

To be honest we were fine until the likes of the TM30 thing started, that left a bad taste in my mouth as I am sure it did others coming from a free country, then we had the Covid lockdown and f course our favorite Minister Anutin and his xenophobic comments, suffice to say one would agree that I and other farangs didn't really feel welcome here, and I have had no illusions about the need to feel welcome anywhere, but that was about as much as I was prepared to take, albeit it was a wake up call for me, that said, I know deep down that Thai's I have met, welcome farangs, they are not as xenophobic, moreso curious about us, not really sure of us.

Over the years there have been many frustrations, the biggest of us is the smoke from burning of sugarcane and rice fields when it's "the burning season" no need to go into them all, you get it, day to day stuff on the roads, police corruption etc etc, that said there was a lot of build up, and I have to say we were ready to make the move back to Sydney with the family, (plan B) a few year early of the pension age, all I had to do was book the tickets, and then I pressed the stop button and said to myself, hang on a second, we planned for this for years, we built a big house to live in with all the comforts we want, I don't work, as I planned my retirement at 55 years of age with no regrets, we are financially very comfortable and I have been making an income from tax free investments which meet our monthly budget and some for the past 5 years, so that we have lived here for free.

Having put a stop on the early exit plan and having changed my mind set as to the way I see things here, has so far paid off, albeit it it's not "the burning season" yet, so we are enjoying the fresh country air vs the polluted city life, no traffic on the roads vs congested roads in the cities, lush greenery around everywhere as opposed to brick and concrete buildings surrounding us.

Thailand is not perfect, it has a long way to go, but it does have that kind of freedom which attracted all of us to Thailand, plus the affordability of living here, even though the cost of living has gone up and the $ down along with other currencies.

Once you get your mindset right which is always being fine tuned, and don't allow the s-h-i-t-t-y day to day stuff and that loss of face stuff get in your head, it's all good, it's positive, and I think I the better for it so far, and hope that I can keep it that way because the last thing I would want would be to return to a house 1/3rd the size of this, expensive real estate and or rent back home, have neighbours and buildings all around us, traffic, police cameras, speed cameras, random breath tests, parking cops, and probably a higher cost of living, especially the beer :burp:

I am still working on the wife, as she keeps telling me daily she hates Thailand, and I understand her frustrations, but she will change her mind set as I did ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JWRC said:

but he cannot stand the constant whinging and complaining about anything and everything to the point where he just drives himself now. I have noticed that some breeds of people are prone to this negativity, sad really. Then again some people get in a rut, a lot of the time they don't even know they are in it. If it was me I would be having a word with the bloke, he probably won't appreciate it, then again it might make him take a fresh look at his situation.

Maybe some people dont realise they are doing it , moaning and complaining just becomes normal and they only realise they are like that when someone points it out to them 

• Like 1

i look back /the first few years i was like a australian wombat eats roots and leaves/then found a perfert women here 10 yrs marrieed now and will die here /dont want to go back to oz even have children and grand children there/ i would be stressed 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

At 90 there's not a lot left to life that isn't negative.

Saw a 72 year old chap at the CM transport office earlier this week, couldn't walk, couldn't stand up on his own, was a bit deaf .... what's he got to be positive about?

Was that you ?   I thought someone said something, but i wasn't sure

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wouldn't be able to afford a decent school even for one kid in Thailand.

I couldn't afford a decent school in the UK either.

Mine (all six) have always gone to government schools and done pretty well out of them.

But if you're going to whinge about poor schooling ......

How many Aussies posting on this forum don't appear to know lose and looser are different words with different meanings?

And back in the UK I used to teach in council estate high schools that couldn't recruit full time teachers for more than a month or two because they were so awful. Thai government schools were paradise in comparison.

Edited by BritManToo