Living Here Gets Better for Some and Worse for Others - Why

Pilotman

7 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That's what I will never understand. Why are some people just keen to be rich and richer?

I understand that it's fun to spend money and enjoy life.

But what's the point of having millions in the bank and not spend any of it? And maybe work to have more millions in the bank. Strange, at least for me.

i think one of the issues is security and it is individual.  if you have 1mm and that becomes your security level then having 500k feels terrible as you are sinking.. 

the other is quality of life. he probably had a far greater quality on 70mm than 10mm..  ??? 

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Saw a 72 year old chap at the CM transport office earlier this week, couldn't walk, couldn't stand up on his own, was a bit deaf .... what's he got to be positive about?

He's just got a job as a heavy truck driver!

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I couldn't afford a decent school in the UK either.

Mine (all six) have always gone to government schools and done pretty well out of them.

But if you're going to whinge about poor schooling ......

How many Aussies posting on this forum don't appear to know lose and looser are different words with different meanings?

And back in the UK I used to teach in council estate high schools that couldn't recruit full time teachers for more than a month or two because they were so awful. Thai government schools were paradise in comparison.

I find that same spelling error is made by Aussie posters but they never have a problem spelling tosser funny that.

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That's what I will never understand. Why are some people just keen to be rich and richer?

I understand that it's fun to spend money and enjoy life.

But what's the point of having millions in the bank and not spend any of it? And maybe work to have more millions in the bank. Strange, at least for me.

Pretty simple actually.

The more money one has the more power one has in this greedy world. The more power one has the higher the class of woman one gets to bang.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

One never gets it right the first choice, so one has to interview a few.

After a few years in the bars and a few hundred girls you don't need more than a minute to know if she is the right one for the evening.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

After a few years in the bars and a few hundred girls you don't need more than a minute to know if she is the right one for the evening.

You the man!

I never had that much experience. I only got to run wild in the gogos for the few years I worked in Saudi, and I only tried till I found a good one to take to the beach. Later I worked in London so my disposable income shrunk dramatically and I kept the same one for years.

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Young

Petite

Pretty

Talkative

Laughs a lot

Flamboyant 

Moves a lot

Anyone who ticks all those boxes is a Gordon Banks for the night  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, fittobethaied said:

After 10 years of living in Thailand, I live a very isolated life with little to no intimate contact with the locals. I have tried unsuccessfully to learn the language, and have zero Thai friends and really don't want any at this point in my life. I don't think we Westerners can ever understand what goes on in the Thai mind, and that totally frustrates me. I no longer desire to make the effort to figure them out, for my experience with the majority of them has been less than gratifying. Making friends should not be this difficult, but I still have neighbors that hide from me when they see me coming. I think it is sad that Thais see everyone outside their circle of relatives and associates as being "invisible" to them. Back in Tennessee I could walk down the street and be greeted by a total stranger who would treat me like a long lost friend. In Thailand nobody cares about our past or what position of prominence we may have obtained in our life, yet it is such a big deal for them in the Thai culture with their "pecking order".

I live an isolated life back home so no different to what you describe.

I prefer it.

I never felt any desire to converse with the Thai locals, and lived my life to my own satisfaction. Trying to please others never worked for me- I just got taken advantage of.

Making real friends is the hardest thing I've ever done- acquaintances are easy, but don't depend on them to help when in a jam.

You must have worked out all that within 6 months, so I don't understand why you stayed. Why not just go back to small town USA?

4 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Young

Petite

Pretty

Talkative

Laughs a lot

Flamboyant 

Moves a lot

Anyone who ticks all those boxes is a Gordon Banks for the night  

Not too young. Experience is better than inexperience.

Petite- absolutely. If I wanted large women I'd have stayed home. Perky and not large too.

Never pretty- pretty girls think they are special and are high maintenance. Attractive is good enough.

Never talkative. No interest in talking with them as they have zero of interest to talk about with me. I'm not interested in what they had for breakfast.

Laughter is good, very good, as long as it's not at me.

Never flamboyant- other guys want flamboyant and hit on them all the time. Not good at all.

Moves a lot is only desirable in one situation.

Several other requirements for me.

Nice hair.

Never pregnant.

No ink

Nice teeth.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

some people love to be unhappy and revel in it, creating a drama from an unsatisfactory life. It's probably what they witnessed growing up in the interaction of their parents (or lack of). The well adjusted don't constantly whine about life..

I didn’t know that you knew my sister and brother who both fit your description.

It has nothing to do with the past family life or our parents as both myself and older sister are both very happy people.

I suspect that part of the problem is that the two miseries don’t drink alcohol !!

18 hours ago, Pilotman said:

he says that he definitely doesn't want to be back in his home country ( Germany) but clearly isn't happy here either. We all feel sorry for him, but we don't know what his friends can do to help. 

Has he tried mumsnet..or what about asking Sheryl for advice?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

If I start to question why I moved here I just remind myself of one simple fact.

I've been in a lot worse places than this.

Most of us will be able to repeat the same mantra given our age and life experiences.

Actually, I must be lucky because every place I ever stayed had something to recommend it. Sure there were individual things that were bad or a drag, but overall I've never been anywhere I hated everything about the place eg in Saudi I had a problem with the city people and religious Saudis, but the country and the Bedouin were amazing.

There were many things about LOS that I disliked, but enough that I liked to stay. Certainly I had a better life there than here, but that's entirely down to here being too expensive and PC.

1 minute ago, wwest5829 said:

Two cents ... and that is all it is worth as I reflect only my own situation and feelings about Thailand. Approaching retirement in 2011 with 5 by-passes in 2005, I looked as a few countries. Having taught in Kentucky, retirement income was a factor, as well as medical care considerations. My attitude was aided by having an established adaptability to different cultures. So, when I decided on Thailand, my attitude was more like “Br’er Rabbit” (please don’t throw me into the Br’er patch) than feeling that I was outpriced in my own country (a valid thought). 9 years here and counting, comfortable living on the required 65K baht a month income. Having found a traditionally raised a Thai girl, it is like stepping back into the US 1950s. I am expected to look after the financial stability, she is to take care of her man ( yes, again attitude. I acknowledge one could say out of self interest on both our parts, but daily life cannot dismiss love is a motivation). Anyway ... psychological base, choices made, attitude?

Sounds like you won the lottery.

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not too young. Experience is better than inexperience.

Petite- absolutely. If I wanted large women I'd have stayed home. Perky and not large too.

Never pretty- pretty girls think they are special and are high maintenance. Attractive is good enough.

Never talkative. No interest in talking with them as they have zero of interest to talk about with me. I'm not interested in what they had for breakfast.

Laughter is good, very good, as long as it's not at me.

Never flamboyant- other guys want flamboyant and hit on them all the time. Not good at all.

Moves a lot is only desirable in one situation.

Several other requirements for me.

Nice hair.

Never pregnant.

No ink

Nice teeth.

I must be getting old ....Turn em upside down they all look same same to me.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Silent Number said:

The longer you sit and wait the uglier they get. The pretty ones go in a heartbeat

LOL. In the good old days when Hollywood Royale in Nana was open till after dawn I'd stay till it did close, but sometimes all the nice looking ones had been taken out and I wasn't going to take out any of the ones left, so I did go home alone. There was always the next night to look forward to and anticipation is sometimes the best part.

Pop quiz: which popular 70s female singer made the songs from which my two "quotes" are taken? No prizes for guessing correctly, except the satisfaction of remembering.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

4 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I am expected to look after the financial stability, she is to take care of her man

Like almost all the time since humans exist.

Only some crazy feminists started to question that principle in the last decades in some parts of this world.

Luckily not so much in Thailand. ???? 

7 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Young....not too young

Petite.....yes

Pretty.....yes

Talkative....nah

Laughs a lot...nutcase?

Flamboyant....yabba perhaps?

Moves a lot....don,t like chasing them round the room

Anyone who ticks all those boxes is a Gordon Banks for the night....be wary of someone with big hands...especially here :clap2: 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. In the good old days when Hollywood Royale in Nana was open till after dawn I'd stay till it did close, but sometimes all the nice looking ones had been taken out and I wasn't going to take out any of the ones left, so I did go home alone. There was always the next night to look forward to and anticipation is sometimes the best part.

You should have moved to Thermae. That is where all the girls went after their short times.