Living Here Gets Better for Some and Worse for Others - Why

Pilotman

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I've never been single.

One slightly mad one in my house, and one completely insane younger on the side works for me.

It's one area the Thai guys have much better sorted than us.

That I can understand. 

It depends on your capability to be able to ignore what is going around you. If you are a a master in sticking your head in the sand or just don't care, you'll be alright. If on the other hand you do see the writing on the wall, time to start packing the bags.

On 8/7/2020 at 8:52 AM, izod10 said:

Load of rubbish,if you could get out and about sure,but for many a year it will never happen,covid for many a year. get to old age,and have money,you sure are looked after here,two,three hour massage (if hot weather),saunas,swimming ,whoring,where else,got hobbies ,computers,mutts galore,big house and I mean BIG...home country finished

No clue what all that gibberish even means?

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

I like Prayut and his government a lot more than Thaksin and his little sister.

Air pollution was worse 20 years ago.

Everything is more expensive than in the past. Correct, like in any other country.

But lets not forget the reality that I can still buy a super-size bowl of beef noodle soup for 50THB in the middle of Bangkok. It tastes good and I am full for half a day. In which so called first world country would I get something like that for a similar price in the center of the capital city?

Your joking right?

Pollution is at an all time worse. No it wasn't worse 20 years ago either. Use your head as to what is causing all the pollution. 

I hope the pm piles on more visa regulations for you since you like him so much. Also maybe he can mandate some super expensive health insurance, and other requirements since your a visitor and want to stay.

Eating soup when it is 40c outside? You lost me on that one?

You bringing this up is like the oddest thing I have ever heard?

You act like this is a luxury? Are you broke?

You think that is a reason to live in Thailand?

I don't eat soup, I don't have to go to downtown Bangkok for a bowl of soup.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

So where is it so much better than Thailand?

Where is it much better than Thailand?

Seriously?

Thailand ranks #28 in the best countries to live, so the obvious answer is there are 27 better countries to live in.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

I think it has a lot to do with comparing Thailand with our home countries and how life was there before we moved here. Some people were absolutely miserable in their home country and by comparison Thailand is like heaven to them. In my case I came from a town in Tennessee, USA where everyone is very friendly and hospitable. I climbed the social ladder and made a success of myself, had a good reputation and several friends who were mostly fellow members of a church of 5000. We were all like-minded and I knew what to expect from them in the way of their behavior towards me.

After 10 years of living in Thailand, I live a very isolated life with little to no intimate contact with the locals. I have tried unsuccessfully to learn the language, and have zero Thai friends and really don't want any at this point in my life. I don't think we Westerners can ever understand what goes on in the Thai mind, and that totally frustrates me. I no longer desire to make the effort to figure them out, for my experience with the majority of them has been less than gratifying. Making friends should not be this difficult, but I still have neighbors that hide from me when they see me coming. I think it is sad that Thais see everyone outside their circle of relatives and associates as being "invisible" to them. Back in Tennessee I could walk down the street and be greeted by a total stranger who would treat me like a long lost friend. In Thailand nobody cares about our past or what position of prominence we may have obtained in our life, yet it is such a big deal for them in the Thai culture with their "pecking order". I never truly understood or experienced prejudice until I came to Thailand.

The physical nation of Thailand is very acceptable to me, but a nation consists of citizens, and it's the people and their behavior that I have a huge problem with. Ones social foundation is one of the cornerstones of building a fulfilling life, and when that foundation is weak there will be discontentment, depression and anxiety. My dear mom used to tell me when I was a young boy..."you've made your bed, now you have to sleep in it"! Now I understand how prisoners can adapt to living on death row. If I can adapt to living in Thailand, I can adapt to any situation!

I climbed the social ladder and made a success of myself

How did you end up in Thailand and not married to some hot Uni of Tenn cheerleader?

500B will buy you maybe 30 minutes of smiling company. And if you are a reasonable guy even with little money the girls won't give you a bad time.

And about the boots. That reminds me of Private Dancer:

PETE: I don't know if it was love at first sight, but it was pretty damn close. She had the longest hair I'd ever seen, jet black and almost down to her waist. She smiled all the time and had soft brown eyes that made my heart melt, long legs that just wouldn't quit and a figure to die for. She was stark naked except for a pair of black leather ankle boots with small chrome chains on the side. I think it was the boots that did it for me.

What do you expect from a hooker? Love letters?

15 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Two cents ... and that is all it is worth as I reflect only my own situation and feelings about Thailand. Approaching retirement in 2011 with 5 by-passes in 2005, I looked as a few countries. Having taught in Kentucky, retirement income was a factor, as well as medical care considerations. My attitude was aided by having an established adaptability to different cultures. So, when I decided on Thailand, my attitude was more like “Br’er Rabbit” (please don’t throw me into the Br’er patch) than feeling that I was outpriced in my own country and forced to leave after a lifetime of employment (a valid thought). 9 years here and counting, comfortable living on the required 65K baht a month income (which, knock on wood, I can maintain without end). Having found a traditionally raised a Thai girl, it is like stepping back into the US 1950s. I am expected to look after the financial stability, she is to take care of her man (yes, again attitude, I acknowledge one could say out of self interest on both our parts, but daily life cannot dismiss love is a motivation). Anyway ... psychological base, choices made, attitude?

How does one get out-priced out of their own country?

330,000,000 million Americans aren't moving to Thailand.

By the time you retired, you should have had your house paid off, bills paid off, savings, investment, social security, medicare.

Which Thai medical options are better than medicare?

So how exactly, you can use details since you were a teacher, did you get out-priced out of your own country?

17 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

I think it has a lot to do with comparing Thailand with our home countries and how life was there before we moved here. Some people were absolutely miserable in their home country and by comparison Thailand is like heaven to them. In my case I came from a town in Tennessee, USA where everyone is very friendly and hospitable. I climbed the social ladder and made a success of myself, had a good reputation and several friends who were mostly fellow members of a church of 5000. We were all like-minded and I knew what to expect from them in the way of their behavior towards me.

After 10 years of living in Thailand, I live a very isolated life with little to no intimate contact with the locals. I have tried unsuccessfully to learn the language, and have zero Thai friends and really don't want any at this point in my life. I don't think we Westerners can ever understand what goes on in the Thai mind, and that totally frustrates me. I no longer desire to make the effort to figure them out, for my experience with the majority of them has been less than gratifying. Making friends should not be this difficult, but I still have neighbors that hide from me when they see me coming. I think it is sad that Thais see everyone outside their circle of relatives and associates as being "invisible" to them. Back in Tennessee I could walk down the street and be greeted by a total stranger who would treat me like a long lost friend. In Thailand nobody cares about our past or what position of prominence we may have obtained in our life, yet it is such a big deal for them in the Thai culture with their "pecking order". I never truly understood or experienced prejudice until I came to Thailand.

The physical nation of Thailand is very acceptable to me, but a nation consists of citizens, and it's the people and their behavior that I have a huge problem with. Ones social foundation is one of the cornerstones of building a fulfilling life, and when that foundation is weak there will be discontentment, depression and anxiety. My dear mom used to tell me when I was a young boy..."you've made your bed, now you have to sleep in it"! Now I understand how prisoners can adapt to living on death row. If I can adapt to living in Thailand, I can adapt to any situation!

You want to get out a bit more,do a bit (more like, more) s.hagging for one

4 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Your joking right?

Pollution is at an all time worse. No it wasn't worse 20 years ago either. Use your head as to what is causing all the pollution. 

I hope the pm piles on more visa regulations for you since you like him so much. Also maybe he can mandate some super expensive health insurance, and other requirements since your a visitor and want to stay.

Eating soup when it is 40c outside? You lost me on that one?

You bringing this up is like the oddest thing I have ever heard?

You act like this is a luxury? Are you broke?

You think that is a reason to live in Thailand?

I don't eat soup, I don't have to go to downtown Bangkok for a bowl of soup.

Did you leave Thailand already? If not better hurry, it seems you hate it a lot.

No I am not joking about Prayut. I was here when Thaksin was in charge. Corruption stories almost every day and a lot more. He behaved like he is above the law. He was not and is not. And then the bloody aggressive red-shirts. Good riddance. Compare Prayut to the past and it's obvious that he is not so bad.

I live in the same area of Sukhumvit and I arrived here before the Skytrain was build. Believe me, the pollution was a lot worse, especially all those little (green?) busses.

VISA? I visit the immigration one a year for about 1/2 hour for my business visa. No problem. Obviously I also have a decent health insurance. It seems you have problems with both. No money? That's sad.

I eat noodle soup often in the morning for breakfast. At 7:30 it's mostly under 30 degrees outside, and a little wind. Is that too hot for you? Obviously I also go to air-con restaurants. But why should I do that all the time when the street food tastes great? Have you tried it? Welcome to Thailand. 

44 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you leave Thailand already? If not better hurry, it seems you hate it a lot.

No I am not joking about Prayut. I was here when Thaksin was in charge. Corruption stories almost every day and a lot more. He behaved like he is above the law. He was not and is not. And then the bloody aggressive red-shirts. Good riddance. Compare Prayut to the past and it's obvious that he is not so bad.

I live in the same area of Sukhumvit and I arrived here before the Skytrain was build. Believe me, the pollution was a lot worse, especially all those little (green?) busses.

VISA? I visit the immigration one a year for about 1/2 hour for my business visa. No problem. Obviously I also have a decent health insurance. It seems you have problems with both. No money? That's sad.

I eat noodle soup often in the morning for breakfast. At 7:30 it's mostly under 30 degrees outside, and a little wind. Is that too hot for you? Obviously I also go to air-con restaurants. But why should I do that all the time when the street food tastes great? Have you tried it? Welcome to Thailand. 

I Left 6 years ago because I could. 

Do I want to live anywhere near Sukumvit? Absolutely no chance. Not many would unless they trapped themselves there.

You are lying to yourself about the pollution. Maybe follow Richard Barrows so you can get the real truth.

I never had a VISA issue one. Never mentioned anything VISA related. Stop telling stories to make yourself look better.

Decent health insurance? Compared to what? Why not post your policy coverage?

Street food is what poor people eat. Combine the unhealthy cooking environment and all the carcinogens from the cars passing, no thanks. The day I have to worry about how much food costs, rather off myself. Who wants to move away from their home country where they can eat anything they want and eat street food? No, no

and no.

Thaksin actually liked expats. You are clueless about that and about the current pm. 

I think you are bitter because you have trapped yourself. Not only Thailand, but Sukumvit in the heart of the pollution and traffic. You probably don't own a car either?

People have choices and you shouldn't be bitter if someone has a better life than you. You have the life you want, others have choices into the lives they want.

And no, no soup for breakfast!

• Sad 1

On 8/6/2020 at 10:00 PM, Pilotman said:

Living Here Gets Better for Some and Worse for Others - WhyI wonder what factors make the difference? Just an interesting point to debate.     

Not always as simple as the just be happy crowd likes to claim

Sometimes as Stick said long ago......"When Somchai Pulls The Trigger"

You may be happily cruising through the years in Thailand but when Somchai pulls the trigger

you better have a decent Plan B ready ????

In any case you may cruise all the way & never need it but to not have it would be utterly stupid/short sighted

while living in a country such as this.

21 hours ago, fittobethaied said:

Interesting observation.

I think the feeling of isolation can be a big factor in what drags people down over time.

Language helps, but it's not a cure all. As I said in a previous post I can speak and read fluent Thai and Lao (I read the transliterated Lao in Thai characters)

But even though I could converse, and understand everything around me, I never really made friends per se, I had superficial conversations, but very rarely anything of substance.

Now I'm a bit of a loner, well a lot of a loner actually,  so it never really bothered me. I had my wife and my son at home that was enough.

But for a lot of guys they need that social interaction, and the concept of 'buddies', thats why a lot of the Pattaya crowd have their bar buddy crowd.

I would agree that in Western countries, well the US at least, it is easier to just have a causal conversation with a total stranger, have someone smile at you in the street, or someone you don't know walking their dog wave to you as you drive down the street.

So I do recognize how that isolation can over time become very depressive for those that do need that social interaction, and I've known a few that fell into that category.

From the tone of your post, I'm assuming that you can't return to TN, so have reconciled yourself to this

16 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Do I want to live anywhere near Sukumvit? Absolutely no chance. Not many would unless they trapped themselves there.

You are lying to yourself about the pollution. Maybe follow Richard Barrows so you can get the real truth.

I never had a VISA issue one. Never mentioned anything VISA related. Stop telling stories to make yourself look better.

Decent health insurance? Compared to what? Why not post your policy coverage?

Street food is what poor people eat. Combine the unhealthy cooking environment and all the carcinogens from the cars passing, no thanks. The day I have to worry about how much food costs, rather off myself. Who wants to move away from their home country where they can eat anything they want and eat street food? No, no

and no.

Thaksin actually liked expats. You are clueless about that and about the current pm. 

I think you are bitter because you have trapped yourself. Not only Thailand, but Sukumvit in the heart of the pollution and traffic. You probably don't own a car either?

People have choices and you shouldn't be bitter if someone has a better life than you. You have the life you want, others have choices into the lives they want.

And no, no soup for breakfast!

Pho for breakfast is awesome, go to a Vietnamese noodle house and order Pho with rare steak.

What I really miss here in Thailand is a decent gym with a steam room and sauna and Jacuzzi. I miss being able to buy fresh ground beef, a decent priced bottle of Merlot, fairly priced motorcycles. I can overcome all my wants by building my own steam room, mincing my own ground beef, being content with a moderate priced mc, and increase my budget to include merlot.

Edited by EVENKEEL

4 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

How does one get out-priced out of their own country?

By the time you retired, you should have had your house paid off, bills paid off, savings, investment, social security, medicare.

Which Thai medical options are better than medicare?

So how exactly, you can use details since you were a teacher, did you get out-priced out of your own country?

Well, since you asked ... People are paid at different amounts in the US. So, for example, a teacher in one of the Southeastern states in the US, is paid less, on average than teachers in many Northeastern states. Thank you for pointing out what should have been my financial ability at the time of retirement but, well everything does not go according to your "should have'. OK, my choice to remain in a lower paying state, also my choice to switch from the local secondary school system to help found and build the new local community college (at the time of retirement I would have earned $14K more a year had I stayed with the public school). Being in a lower paying state, that resulted in paying in lower Social Security/Medicare payments = lower monthly SS payments in retirement. As to Medicare, let us not forget the co-pays and deductions that are part of the system (I still pay my Medicare premiums although my earned benefits are not extended to medical coverage outside the US, unlike earned US military service coverage via Tri-care). No, not the entire US population is not moving outside the US at retirement but there are millions of working middle class Americans living outside the US and, in retirement, they find they can have, like myself, a working middle class retirement in a lower cost country (Americans are not alone in this). I'm thinking my $2200 USA a month (includes $1306 from SS) would not cover my current 4 bed, 3 bath home with yard, MB, car, food, utilities, various insurance, medical cost, etc. in the US. I and millions of others are thus outpaced by cost of living in the US and are financially able to live a comfortable life in Southeast Asia, the Philippines, or Latin America. That heart attack here in Thailand and resulting "mini-stroke"? With the weeklong international standards hospital stay, stent, two angioplasties ... all in was $11K USD. am I mistaken in thinking the bill would be much higher for the same care in the USA? Ah, yes, choices ... and the results of those choices. For me and many others ... much better to be outside the USA ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Thank you deitys of all denominations for keeping them there. bw you need to lighten up man you waffle on  at some posts with such venom and downright rudeness which suggests you are miserable with your existence and angry at those who are content with theirs.Ok now go for it I’m braced and ready.

3 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

3 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

rather off myself

Sounds about right.

And in the meantime you write comments in a Thai forum and pretend you know about the current situation in Thailand. Yeah, sure.

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sounds about right.

And in the meantime you write comments in a Thai forum and pretend you know about the current situation in Thailand. Yeah, sure.

Just another rejected got caught by the pretty young bar girl and lost everything bitter farang who ran away when things got a little tough. Instead of taking tha second option on the posting.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Silent Number said:

Thank you deitys of all denominations for keeping them there. bw you need to lighten up man you waffle on  at some posts with such venom and downright rudeness which suggests you are miserable with your existence and angry at those who are content with theirs.Ok now go for it I’m braced and ready.

Talking about braces Chad!????

32 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sounds about right.

You're not helping yourself talking about 50Baht street food. Yikes....

13 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

OMG 50 baht street food never I prefer my diet of lobster.,Eye fillet Beef, and fish eggs from Russia,I think they call them Caviar from memory, Of course it goes without saying I wash that down with a bottle of French Champagne (any vintage) the I go sit on my porch Rabian as it’s know here and wave to the peasant farmers as they pass by in their samrollers.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Please explain to me what's the problem with 50B street food?

Almost anyone in Thailand, poor, rich, hiso, middle class, eat street food.

That does not mean we all eat it all the time and it does not mean we eat any street food regardless of the quality.

But some street food, and some "market food" is good and cheap. So why not eat it?

On some days I eat the 50B noodle soup and then I have an espresso for more than 100B and maybe a 1000B lunch or dinner. Why not?

Many street food vendors are specialized on one type of food. Take i.e. pork leg. It takes hours to make that the way it should be. I don't think it's sold in any expensive restaurant. It's street food, and often it's delicious and cheap. IMHO there is nothing wrong with that.

porkleg_01.jpg

6 minutes ago, Silent Number said:

OMG 50 baht street food never I prefer my diet of lobster.,Eye fillet Beef, and fish eggs from Russia,I think they call them Caviar from memory, Of course it goes without saying I wash that down with a bottle of French Champagne (any vintage) the I go sit on my porch Rabian as it’s know here and wave to the peasant farmers as they pass by in their samrollers.

You too. Small world. You forgot fresh crab and prawns on the beach every morning. As a matter of fact the ole lady just whipped up some stir fry with some jumbo prawns, fresh from the beach market. I'm not a Champagne fan, prefer good Merlot, Cavier is just so "showing off", lobster is another showy food.

The soup I love here comes from the Franchise cart with the 4 on it. Can be found at any 7-11. They sell pork broth with the simmered pork bones. Love it and their noodle soup, but not on a regular bases. 

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That does not mean we all eat it all the time and it does not mean we eat any street food regardless of the quality.

But some street food, and some "market food" is good and cheap. So why not eat it?

On some days I eat the 50B noodle soup and then I have an espresso for more than 100B and maybe a 1000B lunch or dinner. Why not?

Many street food vendors are specialized on one type of food. Take i.e. pork leg. It takes hours to make that the way it should be. I don't think it's sold in any expensive restaurant. It's street food, and often it's delicious and cheap. IMHO there is nothing wrong with that.

porkleg_01.jpg

You didn't help your position for being in Thailand by bringing up street food. In my town in Central Ca. I can get fabulous tacos from the Food Vans but that wouldn't be an argument for staying there.

1 hour ago, Silent Number said:

Just another rejected got caught by the pretty young bar girl and lost everything bitter farang who ran away when things got a little tough. Instead of taking tha second option on the posting.

I can thoroughly recommend "running away", when anything gets a little tough.

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

porkleg_01.jpg

With street food you know it’s freshly cooked right there in front of you.Do you really know what goes on behind those fancy restaurants closed kitchen doors ? Is it freshly cooked or warmed up leftovers.