Bangkok Midnight Marathon 2020 bans foreigners

webfact

For those who missed it, 'twas all a mistake. How many times have we heard that when an official statement has backfired?

On 8/8/2020 at 3:22 PM, suet said:

Double check the FB page for updated info. 

F70E5B84-3F11-44ED-BD7C-9AE0432C8279.png

• Like 2

On 8/7/2020 at 4:33 PM, Boomer6969 said:

Guess that most of us have Facebook accounts, so we all must share that Thailand is now deeply racist, and that any tourist who comes here is wasting his time and money.

Why not get some of the supposed anti-racists from the BLM movement to come and protest here?

Funny how racism is only decried in the west yet other places in the world like the middle east and here in Thailand it is the norm.

There truly never will be an equilibrium in this world.

Edited by LazySlipper
  • Sad 1

On 8/7/2020 at 4:52 PM, herfiehandbag said:

I expect the original thinking was not to accept entries from foreigners living outside Thailand. As ever that thinking has become muddled up, and someone somewhere has thought that it applies to all non Thais. The decision won't be reversed, loss of face you see.

Whilst there is xenophobia present amongst some here, and it will certainly play its part in the "upper echelons" accepting these sorts of rulings, I don't think that this reflects deeply ingrained racism; more the inchoate nature of so much decision making here.

It is people like yourself making the world as it is today, by justifying <deleted> and straight up racism. There is no talking good on this.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

It is people like yourself making the world as it is today, by justifying <deleted> and straight up racism. There is no talking good on this.

So your saying that excluding every other nationality is racism, suggesting Thai's (the Thai's that made this decision) believe themselves superior to every other race on earth?

On 8/7/2020 at 4:31 PM, from the home of CC said:

don't blame them a bit -  when you look at the irresponsible actions and predictable outcomes of dealing with the virus in other countries foreigners have Thais concerned and if other nations hadn't of acted so stupid there would probably be reduced fear..  

... he said as dozens of maskless Thai shoppers walk past the QR scan and sign in table and the mall owners have put their temperatures test gadgets back in the box.

6 minutes ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

Here's another Marathon banning foreigners in Chiang Mai so this may be a trend or new normal so to speak lol.

https://bangkokherald.com/sports/chiang-mai-marathon-boss-unfazed-by-criticism/?amp&__twitter_impression=true

and they go publish stuff like this

haha

And the reason given for banning foreigners is that foreigners are more likely to be carrying the Corvid virus ........................even though no ones entered Thailand since March

I find it hard to believe that this Sayun character makes a decision such as this without incentive or good reason.  Clearly "Covid-19" or the simplicity of "Xenophobia" are not the reasons  Either money is the incentive or it's political or both.  Jog and Joy are certified by the Athletic Association of Thailand any half decent journalist should be asking this association for comment regarding condoning or removing certification of jog and Joy. This would be a good place to start.  Though I would suggest race baiting (pardon the pun) would receive more clicks for the media outlets.

Edited by Heppinger

On 8/10/2020 at 12:07 PM, NanLaew said:

... he said as dozens of maskless Thai shoppers walk past the QR scan and sign in table and the mall owners have put their temperatures test gadgets back in the box.

at the mall where I live names/scans are still being done, and the majority are still in masks (inside the mall)...  

thank you to the race organizers for helping me plan my future runs.

i shall take my running budget and tourism dollars someplace i'm appreciated.  NOT in thighland.  amazing, yes?

cambodia-angkor-wat-international-half-m

Edited by ChouDoufu

19 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

thank you to the race organizers for helping me plan my future runs.

i shall take my running budget and tourism dollars someplace i'm appreciated.  NOT in thighland.  amazing, yes?

So just ignore the many small races in support of hospitals etc that are now available because of the Bangkok Marathon declaration (since apologised for and withdrawn) or the foolish decision by Chiang Mai race organisers? 

OK, travel to Cambodia, do your race and come back. Got you.

A couple of races ask more registration fees for 'Farangs' than for Thais. Now that's something to get annoyed about.

1 hour ago, cooked said:

So just ignore the many small races in support of hospitals etc that are now available because of the Bangkok Marathon declaration (since apologised for and withdrawn) or the foolish decision by Chiang Mai race organisers? 

OK, travel to Cambodia, do your race and come back. Got you.

A couple of races ask more registration fees for 'Farangs' than for Thais. Now that's something to get annoyed about.

i already support the hospitals with the "you falang, you pay more" fee.

screw 'em.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

i already support the hospitals with the "you falang, you pay more" fee.

screw 'em.

Don't you wish that your home country had the same attitude? Millions flock to  the UK for free medical treatment.