Bangkok Midnight Marathon 2020 bans foreigners

webfact

51 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Most Marathon runners are from African countries which are to be known Muslim countries

54 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Most Marathon runners are from African countries which are to be known Muslim countries

not by choice i'm sure.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, VMKW said:

It is simply called Racism.

They are excluding every nationality, are you suggesting they hold racist attitudes towards every nationality other then Thai?  Or would it be more logical to suggest that they have decided not to include foreigners to promote national unity and pride.  You must be jealous, depressed and bitter to suggest this is racist.  Just because you don't have a nation of your own to feel proud of doesn't mean you should cry racism every time Thai's show their pride in nationalism. 

• Confused 7
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

don't blame them a bit -  when you look at the irresponsible actions and predictable outcomes of dealing with the virus in other countries foreigners have Thais concerned and if other nations hadn't of acted so stupid there would probably be reduced fear..  

I don't blame the Thais, I blame the blatant Xenophobia and racism from the top which permutates downwards. Whilst its fair to say governments around the world could have acted quicker (hindsight is a great thing) Thailand got lucky with the limited amount of cases at the beginning, that's all.

You also have to question their figures.

UK have tested 258,000 per 1mill of population

Thailand have tested 10,731 per 1mill of population

Testing in such low numbers probably means that detection is also low

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I would love to see if Thailands average death rate has increased over the past 3-4 months as that would show a much better picture.

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, trucking said:

Imagine taking part in that marathon and then afterwards half a dozen people test positive for covid. Panic stations.

Inadvertently doing us a favor . Won't be blaming us afterwards.

You make a good point.

It's irrational though to ban expats. Banning people coming in for such events is obviously justified.

They could have used such events to help promote the idea of expat tourism being touted by a government agency here.

Expat runners could get a special branding of EXPAT.

It would have helped educate the Thai public of the disease risk difference between expats and tourists.

Of course we do have our own expat ethnic events we can cling to -- MARATHON viewing of t.v. series!

• Like 1

Like a guy above said they probably decided to ban foreign runners to avoid issues entering Thailand and then things got muddled in translation. I am not sure what the Bkk marathon prize money or appearance fee is but lots of top athletes make a living traveling from race to race.

6 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I don't blame the Thais, I blame the blatant Xenophobia and racism from the top which permutates downwards. Whilst its fair to say governments around the world could have acted quicker (hindsight is a great thing) Thailand got lucky with the limited amount of cases at the beginning, that's all.

You also have to question their figures.

UK have tested 258,000 per 1mill of population

Thailand have tested 10,731 per 1mill of population

Testing in such low numbers probably means that detection is also low

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I would love to see if Thailands average death rate has increased over the past 3-4 months as that would show a much better picture.

For someone that doesn't seem 100% sure that low testing rates equates to low detection rates, you probably shouldn't be using words like xenophobia and racism.  It's only confusing to demoralized westerners, but i will try to explain it to you.  The Thai Government would like a Thai national to win the marathon to promote unity, pride and nationalism, excluding ALL foreigners assures this.  Thai's understand the simple fact that unity, and not diversity, is a nations strength.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Heppinger said:

For someone that doesn't seem 100% sure that low testing rates equates to low detection rates, you probably shouldn't be using words like xenophobia and racism.  It's only confusing to demoralized westerners, but i will try to explain it to you.  The Thai Government would like a Thai national to win the marathon to promote unity, pride and nationalism, excluding ALL foreigners assures this.  Thai's understand the simple fact that unity, and not diversity, is a nations strength.

Oh don't you worry, I'm 100% sure that low testing rates equals low detections rates, as for Xenophobia, look no further than the trash that comes from the mouth of a certain Mr Charnvirakul. But yes, I got it first time.

• Like 2

Can Thais run that far without a motorbike ( aka - Thai leg extensions)?

The marathon is a long-distance race with an official distance of 42.195 kilometres, usually run as a road race. The event was instituted in commemoration of the fabled run of the Greek soldier Pheidippides, a messenger from the Battle of Marathon to Athens, who reported the victory. Wikipedia

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Oh don't you worry, I'm 100% sure that low testing rates equals low detections rates, as for Xenophobia, look no further than the trash that comes from the mouth of a certain Mr Charnvirakul. But yes, I got it first time.

His comments weren't even close to xenophobic, he's one politician that lost face and got upset.  For a Brit to be throwing loaded terms around, especially when your own Government is waging a campaign of aggressive discrimination against it's indigenous population, amuses me.  The very definition of Stockholm syndrome which is ironic considering Sweden is in the same sinking ship as you. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

don't blame them a bit -  when you look at the irresponsible actions and predictable outcomes of dealing with the virus in other countries foreigners have Thais concerned and if other nations hadn't of acted so stupid there would probably be reduced fear..  

Well other than the fact all foreigners  who could run in this race are already IN THAILAND, so are ;

a) Healthy because they are not exposed to those people in other countries

b) Mostly in compliance with Thailand’s working anti-Covid actions. If not without some grumbling.

c) If you haven’t left and returned, so how can you have the disease? Returning Thais are the only cases happening in country. None are foreigners presently in Thailand.

d) Blaming ‘dirty foreigners’ like the Dep Pm / Heath Minister has repeatedly tried, doesn’t mean they have COVID, it just plays well politically, since ‘no one else is every as good as a Thai’ including their blood relatives living in the surrounding countries.

So they must be spreading the disease ‘since no thai would do that’. Of course trump certainly plays into their hands to make this attitude seem logical to some.

Sociological Country Building in a crossroads culture usually must be pointedly nationalistic, long after that ‘ubër nationalism’ is no longer needed to create one new people from many others. Can’t back down or seem unpatriotic, etc.

The race committee is just reacting to the political winds and isolationist Instincts of the political class that either can not go against the nationalist undertow, or delight in using it for controlling power.

Edited by animatic

XENOPHOBIC?  NO WELCOME TO THE LAND OF PREJUDICE AND RACISM NOT THE LAND OF SMILE!

The country has been locked down due to the Virus but want foreigners to return and bail their economy out.  The country has for centuries been locked down by their mental midget leaders let it stay close and let them die in their own mental virus.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

And they wan't tourists to come back in their droves, yet continue with their xenophobic comments ?

unbelievable !

New Flash!

All new tourist arrivals into Thailand for for 2020, "NO FOREIGNERS ALLOWED" 

Let's see how that works out for you TAT. 

9 minutes ago, farangroby said:

scuse del c azzo.jpg

This proves what I thought from the beginning: there has been a wide acceptance of face masks in Thailand because they obliterate the loss of face. 

Wear a mask, use the word "misunderstanding" and everystink will be fine.

Edited by Boomer6969
  • Haha 1