Bangkok Midnight Marathon 2020 bans foreigners

webfact

21 minutes ago, TEFLKrabi said:

FYI the decision has now been reversed. But.... foreigners have a later date to register which means they miss out on the ‘early bird’ discount. Two tier pricing in all but name, but it’s good to see the decision changed. 

Yes, so I see. That is good, perhaps I should have said the decision was unlikely to be reversed. However the cynic in me says that maybe they realised they would be losing out on quite a lot of entry fees?

The longer this border lockdown continues (no tourists allowed, thank you), the more the Thais will realign their economy and the sooner they will realize they don't need the dirty farang at all. Expect next year the possibility of all "non-essential" workers' long term visas to not be renewed. That's you retired folks, students, and "married" people (all marriages are scams, we know). 

for xx days no new blabla, so everybody should be "safe"

and now this

what is next, no service in restaurants ?

and ... THAI PEOPLE don't travel ?

my ex-in-laws took 2-3 trips per month to japan, hk, singapore ....  for fun

Edited by Bender Rodriguez
  • Like 1

The most depressing part of this ill-informed decision is that the 'fun run' (which is what this mostly is) isn't happening for four months, yet there's every sign that it will strictly policed under the current Covid regulations. That's the clearest sign yet that the authorities here have absolutely no intention of relaxing any restrictions any time soon. 

On a purely practical point, the organisers are encouraging people to drive to the event "for safety", and then to implement social distancing at the start line. Anyone complaining that they aren't getting a full marathon should get to the back of the line, which will probably be a further 21 km from the start! As per this graphic from the advice pack, there'll be a staggered starting grid to ensure a minimum of 1 sq m of space between runners. Groups of runners will be dispatched at intervals of not more than 3 minutes.

Sounds like fun.

124783685_ScreenShot2020-08-08at09_30_14.jpg.c77341b923b1f848e88dda0db46d2218.jpg

Post in breach of Forum Rules removed.

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

Wow.. borders are closed and now non-Thais who have lived in the country can't participate?

Das this apply to Indians, Japanese or Chinese as well or just Caucasians?

Seems to be textbook racism as there is no justification for it. 

May as well plan the official funeral for the tourism industry, if word gets around.  

How long until expats in the country will encounter more denied services (no BTS, no restaurant)?

Other countries in the region will benefit.

It is  very sad  and I  am married to a lovley  Thai lady

I have been to  6  Asian  countries   and Thailand by far is  the most Racist  to me as  an Auatralian

Strange  though   the  country  that  shows real  warmth  and no racism  was Thailands  neighbour   Cambodia

With  the Phillippiness  a  close  second

Why  is that?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TERMINATOR3AB said:

It is  very sad  and I  am married to a lovley  Thai lady

I have been to  6  Asian  countries   and Thailand by far is  the most Racist  to me as  an Auatralian

Strange  though   the  country  that  shows real  warmth  and no racism  was Thailands  neighbour   Cambodia

With  the Phillippiness  a  close  second

Why  is that?

I agree, I have worked in most Asian countries. Other countries are better educated and not stuck in a cultural time warp!

• Like 2

It is a completely stupid idea as the only foreigners here now are the ones that are stuck here or work here. They pose no danger of passing Covid 19 to anyone. Perhaps they should change to no Repatriated Thais as they are coming back in droves infected with Covid 19 

Edited by wmlc
  • Thanks 1

I used to love Thailand and feel very welcome and happy here and planned to stay here until I died.However,day after day I am realizing just how racist and xenophobic many Thai people are becoming. Notice on a restaurant no foreigners allowed,not allowed to take part in the midnight marathon,dirty smelly Farangs, etc etc I am starting to feel the same dislike for Thailand so it's time to say Adios,goodbye,auf wiedersehen

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

Guess that most of us have Facebook accounts, so we all must share that Thailand is now deeply racist, and that any tourist who comes here is wasting his time and money.

Well if racism was your criteria for where to travel then staying home is your best bet ... assuming you are the right colour in your home country.  Why would you expect Thai’s to be any different than the people who live in your home country.  It’s not like you were invited to come to Thailand to take up residence.