Minister sets 48-hour deadline for checks on ammonium nitrate production, storage

snoop1130

Minister sets 48-hour deadline for checks on ammonium nitrate production, storage

By THE NATION

800_f37fb711e603d61.jpg

Suriya Juangroongruangkit

In a bid to avoid a disaster like the recent explosion in Lebanon, Industry Minister Suriya Juangroongruangkit on Friday (August 7) ordered the Department of Industrial Works to monitor the production and storage of ammonium nitrate produced in Rayong’s IRPC industrial estate.

The minister has also instructed officials to check on the handling of explosive materials and chemicals at nine factories that produce matches and fireworks.

The minister expects a report on all this within 48 hours.

Ammonium nitrate is normally used in the production of matches, fireworks and explosives, as well as for the production of pesticide and animal-related products.

It is believed that improperly stored ammonium nitrate was behind the explosion in Beirut, which killed at least 137 and injured thousands.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30392609

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-07

Until two days ago he had never heard of ammonium nitrate, while he is at it how about powerful oxidiser/fertiliser, Sodium nitrate, used to make bacon, ham and cigarettes. 

• Haha 1

Good heads up move by the government. 48 hours is also prudent. Some may not know ammonium nitrate explosions happen periodically around the world. For instance the 1947 Texas explosion was much bigger than the one in Lebanon. It's great to see this treated as an immediate wake up call in Thailand.

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Sodium Nitrate

It's in the Pink salt (Prague Salt, Insta Cure #1, or pink curing salt #1 ) I use to cure my bacon.  I buy 1/2 kg bags.  Should I be storing it down in the wifes chemi shed way down the back yard? ????

11 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

It's in the Pink salt (Prague Salt, Insta Cure #1, or pink curing salt #1 ) I use to cure my bacon.  I buy 1/2 kg bags.  Should I be storing it down in the wifes chemi shed way down the back yard? ????

Only if you're curing your bacon with ammonium nitrate.

• Haha 2

Doing and reviewing country-wide storage checks on dangerous substances is a wise idea.  This should have been done everywhere after the big explosion (also ammonium nitrate) in Tianjin port in 2015.

58 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Going back to the 70-80's in the UK, IRA bombs going off all the time ,the police would go around arable farms asking if any urea fertilizer had been stolen ,one of the ingredients for making a bomb. 

It was called Co-op mix.

Beirut = 2,750,000 kg ammonium nitrate.

Oklahoma = 2,200 kg ammonium nitrate.

Oslo = 950 kg ammonium nitrate.

New Dehli = A briefcase with ammonium nitrate.

Videos of the aftermaths...

2020, Beirut, 150+ dead, 5000+ injured, thousands+ buildings damaged (over half the city, 20 sq.km+).

1995, Oklahoma, 168 dead, 680 injured, 258 buildings damaged.

2011, Oslo (few people were working due to vacation), 8 dead, 200-300 injured, buildings within 400 meters were significantly damaged.

2011, New Dehli (briefcase placed outside high court building), 15 dead, 79 injured, few buildings were damaged.

Clearly it should be taken seriously. Handing out 48-hour-ultimatums is just ridiculous. How about some proper reports and spreading the amount of ammonium nitrate (and other highly explosive materials) between storage locations and outside of populated areas?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It's good that a Thai government minister learns from the errors from a country far away.

I wonder how many other ministers around the globe take the initiative to make sure something like this won't happen in their own countries.

Mr. Trump said clearly, "it was an attack.. it was a bomb of some kind,yes'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Here is what I wrote:

Why don't you just read the whole paragraph? And why do you only quote my first sentence?

Was it deliberate? Or were you in a hurry?

give me break ROFL

In functioning countries, storages are inspected regularly and their location and specifications are uniform and enforced.

No need for kneejerk checks every two decades, while in the meanwhile everybody does whatever they please.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

In functioning countries, storages are inspected regularly and their location and specifications are uniform and enforced.

No need for kneejerk checks every two decades, while in the meanwhile everybody does whatever they please.

nobody ever mention anything about it in the last hundred years.. now everyone is so interested.. what a load of cr4p.