BANGKOK
snoop1130

Beirut's accidental cargo: how an unscheduled port visit led to disaster

1 minute ago, puipuitom said:

Government of Lebanon ? There is no real government, only a 5 corrupt fractions, who are ONLY and ONLY interested in their own well-being.

Sounds like the US but they only have two factions or 3 if you count the NRA.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, pegman said:

I think the boat owner is the responsible party. Why always go after the guy lower in the food chain?

Agreed, but I would think they should go after the lot of them (ship owners, captain, port authorities personnel et al) so the captain blabbing off to TV interviewers seems premature.

3 hours ago, MJKT2014 said:

Agreed, but I would think they should go after the lot of them (ship owners, captain, port authorities personnel et al) so the captain blabbing off to TV interviewers seems premature.

After 6 years, with the merchandise confiscated by those, who controll the port of Beirut ? 

47 minutes ago, puipuitom said:

After 6 years, with the merchandise confiscated by those, who controll the port of Beirut ? 

You are likely correct, I think I read the captain was detained several months for it already so probably done his time already for the snafu.

Port officials likely wanted money to 'release' the ship. That explosion was a direct result of the ship owner just not having the money to stuff brown envelopes for the port authorities. Don't tell me the ship wasn't sea worthy,  Lebonon cares less if people die once they leave their waters.  Just a ruse to encourage bribes and then it became steal the cargo. YMMV

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Port officials likely wanted money to 'release' the ship. That explosion was a direct result of the ship owner just not having the money to stuff brown envelopes for the port authorities. Don't tell me the ship wasn't sea worthy,  Lebonon cares less if people die once they leave their waters.  Just a ruse to encourage bribes and then it became steal the cargo. YMMV

It was a direct result of failing to store a potentially explosive substance properly, IMHO. If a child finds a carelessly stored firearm and shoots him/herself or somebody else with it, you wouldn't blame the gun store where the firearm was purchased (or whatever was the source of the gun) would you? So, I guess MMDV.

Edited by MaxYakov

15 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

It was a direct result of failing to store a potentially explosive substance properly, IMHO. If a child finds a carelessly stored firearm and shoots him/herself or somebody else with it, you wouldn't blame the gun store where the firearm was purchased (or whatever was the source of the gun) would you? So, I guess MMDV.

For 6 years.

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2020 at 6:03 PM, snoop1130 said:

freight hold loaded with ammonium nitrate in the port of Beirut, Lebanon, in a summer 2014 photograph. Picture taken in summer 2014.

2020 - 2014 = 6 years

On 8/7/2020 at 6:03 PM, snoop1130 said:

chemicals that went up in flames in Beirut's deadliest peace-time explosion arrived in the Lebanese capital seven years ago

So is it 6 years or 7 years?  My math is usually very accurate but........... It appears it was onboard the ship for a year before unloading.