Trump to try going it alone on coronavirus aid after talks with Congress break down

rooster59

3 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Stop. There is a bigger issue at stake and it is Constitutional. Only the House of representatives has the authority to create bills that are related to revenue and Congress as a whole has the exclusive power to  provide public money and to oversee its proper expenditure. 

Trump has violated the US Constitution with his action. It is an unconstitutional and illegal act.

Anyone who understands the role of the US Congress will be  angered by Trump's action. This is clearly a political act intended to boost his standing. 

It is also a flawed funding initiative. Flawed because it requires the states to fund 25% of the plan. Many of the states do not have the  money to do this. Other states are so far behind in processing assistance payments now that the Trump plan is not even  viable.

What Trump did was  very wrong. He has  no respect for the US constitution and is receiving terrible advice.

The President has the sole authority to cut taxes in the event of an emergency. The purse strings belong to congress however they can't demand an allowance.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Stop. There is a bigger issue at stake and it is Constitutional. Only the House of representatives has the authority to create bills that are related to revenue and Congress as a whole has the exclusive power to  provide public money and to oversee its proper expenditure. 

Trump has violated the US Constitution with his action. It is an unconstitutional and illegal act.

Anyone who understands the role of the US Congress will be  angered by Trump's action. This is clearly a political act intended to boost his standing. 

It is also a flawed funding initiative. Flawed because it requires the states to fund 25% of the plan. Many of the states do not have the  money to do this. Other states are so far behind in processing assistance payments now that the Trump plan is not even  viable.

What Trump did was  very wrong. He has  no respect for the US constitution and is receiving terrible advice.

He and his followers don't care.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Nothing wrong in what he did. He has the executive power to do exactly what he did. Waiting on Pelosi and crew to start screaming and wailing. They had a chance and mucked it all up with there overzealous attempt to show the US people they could not care less and did not want to play ball. I have no skin in the game myself, but my kids do and the Democrats just keep shooting themselves. My kids are <deleted> at them and as democrats themselves they actually like what Trump just did for them as working class people who have jobs and are also paying school loans off. He just extended those issues, sort of like Thailand giving extensions on visas and such.

Edited by ThailandRyan

15 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I know it's awful folks are getting help that the dems denied them

As anyone who actually reads the real news knows, the Democratic proposal for CV relief was going to provide more aid, including higher levels of unemployment benefits at $600 per week for coming months, that anything Trump is doing via executive order.  And it's not exactly clear at this point what his executive orders are really going to accomplish.

A leading national expert on unemployment benefits said one of the actions would not increase federal unemployment benefits at all. Instead, the expert said it would instead create a new program that could take “months” to set up. And Trump’s directive to halt evictions primarily calls for federal agencies to “consider” if they should be stopped.

One of the measures Trump signed on Saturday aims to provide $400 in weekly unemployment aid for millions of Americans. Trump said 25 percent of this money would be paid by states, many of which are already dealing with major budget shortfalls. The federal contribution would be redirected from disaster relief money at the Federal Emergency Management Agency. Those funds are not likely to last more than two months, and Trump would not say when the benefits would kick in.

The White House on Saturday authorized taking about $50 billion from the FEMA fund to pay for unemployment benefits, but that money will only last about five weeks before expiring, according to Democratic congressional aides and unemployment experts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/08/08/trump-executive-order-coronavirus/

And of course, nowhere in Trump's orders is anything about the $1200 one-time stimulus payment that Democratic and Republicans in Congress had already agreed upon.... but couldn't gain agreement on the broader package of relief measures. Because the Republicans wanted to reduce the enhanced unemployment benefits, provide less aid to state and local governments, etc etc than the Democrats had proposed. And a goodly share of far right wing Republican senators wanted to do nothing at all!

https://apnews.com/96a1c20494cc9ebb547a44aa60406168

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer dismissed Trump’s actions as “meager” in the face of economic and health crises facing Americans. Democrats initially sought a $3.4 trillion package, but said they lowered their ask in talks to $2 trillion. Republicans had proposed a $1 trillion plan.

The breakdown in negotiations over the last several days was particularly distressing for schools trying to reopen . But other priorities were also languishing, including a fresh round of $1,200 direct payments to most people, a cash infusion for the struggling Postal Service and money to help states hold elections in November.

Senate Republicans were split, with roughly half of McConnell’s rank and file opposed to another rescue bill.

Trump and the right-wing Republicans (are there any other kind these days?) are the reason the U.S. and Americans aren't getting the CV relief legislation they deserve and need.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

This was the Reps plan, fail at negotiations so "he" can step in and look like a saviour. Twisted Bs should have concluded the negotiation before ... after all it was the Reps who turned down the lower houses bill.

No real thought for the country, just how they can politically score points. American politics (dems as well) is the sleaziest pit of self servers.

• Like 1

Re: the $400 per week. That only gets paid if the State(s) provide 25%. So the feds pay $300 and the State pays $100. That's the potential maximum(s).

Most States won't be able to pay the $100.

No one wants the Payroll Tax relief.

Executive Orders: https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/

(The top four are the ones he "created" on Saturday.)

execorder.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

People still speaking as if we have a two party system. 

The longer they stall, the less help the people get. They all have the same goal: help the needy as little as possible... that money is much better spent on Afghanistan or another failed coup in Venezuela. 

9 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

This was the Reps plan, fail at negotiations so "he" can step in and look like a saviour. Twisted Bs should have concluded the negotiation before ... after all it was the Reps who turned down the lower houses bill.

No real thought for the country, just how they can politically score points. American politics (dems as well) is the sleaziest pit of self servers.

It could only work because of how Nancy handled things. Seems now she wants Trump's people to come back to talk. They can reconvene and fix the mess they left. Nothing Trump did prevents them from coming back and getting their jobs done. That's the genius of it, the ball is in their court. 

That's what happens when you play hardball and get your bluff called. 

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Even many republicans say trumps proposal is (slop)it’s also an attempt to defund Medicare and Social security this on top of wreaking our lousy health care system as it is just enough of this guy he’s failing as potus in the most ugly way let’s get rid of him and his inablers just pathetic and senate stop shirking your jobs and get to work

14 minutes ago, Tug said:

Even many republicans say trumps proposal is (slop)it’s also an attempt to defund Medicare and Social security this on top of wreaking our lousy health care system as it is just enough of this guy he’s failing as potus in the most ugly way let’s get rid of him and his inablers just pathetic and senate stop shirking your jobs and get to work

Biden/Pelosi in 2020. Make America Ameritopia! (MAA)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Credo said:

So, in spite of your abusive remarks about Pelosi, she didn't lie.   Not once.   How different from any discussion involving Trump.   

If you consider my accounts and descriptions of Pelosi abusive, I hope you will review the hundreds of thousands of posts way worse about Trump and call the people making them out.

My post never involved her lying or not so not sure what that has to do with anything I said. I was just commenting on what appeared to be her in a melt down. You know like people do when Trump has one even if he doesn't. If you expect every post about a politician to retain a respectful tone after the massive, massive amounts of attacks, personal insults, insults based upon appearance, insults towards Trump's family, etc. that have been allowed to stand in public and with impunity you might rethink that.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

If you consider my accounts and descriptions of Pelosi abusive, I hope you will review the hundreds of thousands of posts way worse about Trump and call the people making them out.

My post never involved her lying or not so not sure what that has to do with anything I said. I was just commenting on what appeared to be her in a melt down. You know like people do when Trump has one even if he doesn't. If you expect every post about a politician to retain a respectful tone after the massive, massive amounts of attacks, personal insults, insults based upon appearance, insults towards Trump's family, etc. that have been allowed to stand in public and with impunity you might rethink that.

What do you expect trump has been trolling us from day 1 he has betrayed the constitution humiliated our great nation got lots and lots of us killed panders to dictators doesent care about bounty’s on our GIs so yea she and the majority of Americans absolutely despise trump all that beeing said she dident lie once

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Tug said:

What do you expect trump has been trolling us from day 1 he has betrayed the constitution humiliated our great nation got lots and lots of us killed panders to dictators doesent care about bounty’s on our GIs so yea she and the majority of Americans absolutely despise trump all that beeing said she dident lie once

Your dear friends tried to impeach Trump even before he was elected. Remember that? Trump has accomplished many good things when you and your ilk tried to destroy him from the start because he isn't a life long politician and offended your business as usual political aspirations. 

Also you pretend to speak for the majority of Americans? Can you qualify your statement?  Presidential elections are never won by a majority. I am not talking about the EC or pop it's just how many people do you think vote? 

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Call me an anarchist then. I've got so bored with people blaming everyone else for their own problems and with hands out wanting other people to give them money.

Seems that political parties think that bribes are the way to get the big bucks for doing not much and promise the world if people only vote for them.

Where are the statesmen in Kennedy's likeness "ask not what your country can do for you .........................."? Sadly no where to be seen.

Which is far removed from what I said.

No surprise.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

We'll see how many Americans absolutely despise trump come November, won't we?

Yup we sure will!!

1 hour ago, Cryingdick said:

Your dear friends tried to impeach Trump even before he was elected. Remember that? Trump has accomplished many good things when you and your ilk tried to destroy him from the start because he isn't a life long politician and offended your business as usual political aspirations. 

Also you pretend to speak for the majority of Americans? Can you qualify your statement?  Presidential elections are never won by a majority. I am not talking about the EC or pop it's just how many people do you think vote? 

Trump is doing a great job for our enemies and just what has he done that’s good?what?my ilk what’s that about I seem to rember a post about someone wishing all people who don’t support trump dead as far as majority of the electorate just look at the polls.Last time your trump squeaked buy with 70,000 votes across 3 states to squeak an electoral win with outside help not gonna be the same this time he has a track record now he’s toast and I think he knows it