Thai govt must protect right to peaceful protest, says global watchdog

rooster59

4 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I haven't mentioned an anti mask protest so I would agree that if I did try and explain that to a "Thai" person I would be crazy or maybe crazier might be a more apt description.If how ever some were to feel the need to protest the mask wearing I would not mind in the slightest.I do find it disturbing when the Victorian Premier announces that four people had their car windows smashed and dragged out the occupants because the didn't adhere to the "health guidelines" in one week,I think that's a bit heavy handed.I think the handling the pandemic should be handled with a little more dignity and on a more evidence based front take Norway and Sweden's approaches for instance which are quite similar with subtle differences which "appear" to have had a dramatic difference in outcomes.Norway with very few deaths compared to Sweden but Norway are saying it's not over and are fully expecting a second wave and have said the are even more prepared with testing and tracing and isolation rather than lockdown measures and the heavy handed smashing of car windows and dragging out the occupants like I mean who does that these days and to what benefit?They also say that the numbers of those that don't comply with the government's recommendations are not enough to affect the final out come of infections.I also believe we should be closely monitoring what other countries do and their outcomes and learn from those that show success.Don't you agree?Amnesty International are voicing concerns about Thailand's heavy handed approach to it's citizens and I'm saying the same could be said for Australia.

I can't think of any country where the police will just let you go if you won't open your window if they want to talk to you. What do you suggest the police do? Just let them drive away. I can't see what the protest you mention is. I assumed it was the anti-mask protest but you think that was not sensible. Do you think someone trying to drive off when police ask to talk to them is really a protest? 

• Like 1

The spectacularly toxic army is scared to death of protests, as they express the will of the people. Which is the polar opposite of why they are there and what they are all about. One day soon. Cannot wait for the army to move aside, so the nation can move forward. Dinosaurs. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

I can't think of any country where the police will just let you go if you won't open your window if they want to talk to you. What do you suggest the police do? Just let them drive away. I can't see what the protest you mention is. I assumed it was the anti-mask protest but you think that was not sensible. Do you think someone trying to drive off when police ask to talk to them is really a protest? 

I was thinking about this today and decided that I would just park them in then if they caused damage to property then an arrest could be made so just block them and wait if they do a runner they would lose their vehicle.They could come up with better ways than smashing peoples windows if they thought about it and by smashing the window it might create an unnecessary legal minefield.

What it is is a movement which is gaining popularity is to claim to be a sovereign citizen which is a legal loophole in Australian law where if you know the right things to say and use the correct language the police can't actually detain you unless you have broken the law,Im not sure on the specifics but people do just get to drive away apparently.You can search youtube for the vids.It's pretty complicated and one must really know the specifics to be able to pull it off,it's not a protest and I 'm not sure how it relates to the current covid situation as Dan Andrews says most of what is being done hasn't been done before so I image there will be many investigations and court cases resulting.

Personally I'm actually in favour letting it rip as the flu has had some worse outcomes over the years complete with ongoing health complications and if you count the deaths of those who died of the flu in the past it's way worse than covid is at the moment and people don't seem to disturbed by those deaths and just don't see this present pandemic as being any worse than the flu and I've seen just about every yeah but covid argument.

So to get back on topic I believe that the Thai Administration are using anything they can to hold onto power however I believe their arguments and their ability to do so are waining they will no doubt try to make the right noises to cling on for as long as possible then just have another coup and continue the cycle because this is Thailand.

Edited by FarFlungFalang

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/court-releases-detained-activists-on-bail/

Human rights lawyer Anont Nampa and political activist Phanupong Jaadnok were granted bail by the Ratchadapisek Criminal Court late this afternoon, after its approval of a police application for them to be remanded for a further 14-days.

The court set 100,000 baht bail for each of the two pro-democracy activists, as both are facing seven charges, including the incitement of public unrest, for their recent anti-government activities.

19 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

The Gangsters running this country don't care what the outside World thinks; they will use every weapon at their disposal to stay in power, that's why they buy so much Military Hardware, the only serious threat they are under is from their own people but the day will come when the whole country will turn on them, including factions of their own Military, then the day of judgment will come !

In the end they will fail. Also they buy museum stuff. Still living in the fifties. Prayuth adores Hitler. Still he don't get message, The one that's hold the youth holds the future. They are seeing through. Prayuth wants to kill them all. Too much bad karma