OA Visa to a ??? Visa

I got my original OA Visa in Hollywood Sept, 2019. Left Thailand and came back Dec 2019 so my Visa is good till Dec 2020. No border runs in the near future what are my options with an O Visa. Can I convert at Immigration from OA to an O if I have money in Thai Bank?? 

If you´re married you could use your O-A and get an extension of stay based on marriage??

If not, you could get an extension of stay based on retirement, and top it up with a cruel health-insurance..

glegolo

Edited by glegolo

2 minutes ago, glegolo said:

If you´re married you could use your O-A and get an extension of stay based on marriage??

If not you could get an extnsion of stay ased on retirement and top it up with a cruel health-insurance..

glegolo

Not married on paper but have 8 yr old daughter together.  

2 minutes ago, glegolo said:

If not you could get an extnsion of stay ased on retirement and top it up with a cruel health-insurance..

glegolo

Some immigration offices will still want insurance if the original visa is an OA, I know Jomtien wants insurance for marriage extension from an OA.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Not via the official immigration channels but maybe via an agent. Depending on your age, the insurance could be cheaper than an agents fee.

I'm 62 and really don't want to transfer money to Thai bank now, 

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Some immigration offices will still want insurance if the original visa is an OA, I know Jomtien wants insurance for marriage extension from an OA.

So health Ins required plus the seasoned 800,000 in a Thai bank, correct??

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

400 for marriage extension. Seasoning is only 60 days and can spend the money after that.

Again, that is something an agent can maybe help with.

4 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

400 for marriage extension. Seasoning is only 60 days and can spend the money after that.

Again, that is something an agent can maybe help with.

3 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Agent can do for around 20k 

I've been asking the local fellas about their agents, seems a pretty popular way to go.

Thanks

12 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

You can always keep the money in a home currency account in Thailand, no need to worry about exchange rates

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

You can always keep the money in a home currency account in Thailand, no need to worry about exchange rates

I've read about that, will have to investigate further.

30 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I have seen no recent reports about that happening.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I've read about that, will have to investigate further.

Its a pretty easy option, most banks offer the account, you usually need to visit the main branch for the area.

Even the insurance isnt that much (age dependant). I am 60 and I the cheapest policy I could do was 6,000 baht (200k deductible).

32 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Not married on paper but have 8 yr old daughter together.  

Are you the legal father of your child by way of legitimization of your parenthood. Since she is 8 years old you could do it at a Amphoe.

You have to be the legal father of child to apply for a one year extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai. To apply for the extension the 400k baht only needs to be in the bank on the day you apply (no 2 month requirement).

You appartley have until December to apply for the extension of stay since that is when you current permit to stay ends.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I have seen no recent reports about that happening.

Here is a report, lol

I am in the middle of doing my 3rd marriage extension in Jomtien (original OA 5 years ago) and need to get insurance.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I am in the middle of doing my 3rd marriage extension in Jomtien (original OA 5 years ago) and need to get insurance.

You need to show immigration clause 2.18 of the police order for extensions of stay based upon marriage does not state insurance is required. 

Other offices are not asking for it now.

Edited by ubonjoe
corrected typo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Are you the legal father of your child by way of legitimization of your parenthood. Since she is 8 years old you could do it at a Amphoe.

You have to be the legal father of child to apply for a one year extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai. To apply for the extension the 400k baht only needs to be in the bank on the day you apply (no 2 month requirement).

You appartley have until December to apply for the extension of stay since that is when you current permit to stay ends.

Her Birth Certificate has me listed as her father. That's all. 

1 minute ago, EVENKEEL said:

Her Birth Certificate has me listed as her father. That's all. 

Your name on the birth certificate does mean your are the legal father of you child.

You, your daughter and her mother need to do the legitimization at a Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 11 that immigration will require to apply for the extension.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Your name on the birth certificate does mean your are the legal father of you child.

You, your daughter and her mother need to do the legitimization at a Amphoe to get a Kor Ror 11 that immigration will require to apply for the extension.

Thank you, will do

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You need to show immigration the clause 2.18 of the police order for extensions of stay based upon marriage does not state insurance is required. 

Other offices are not asking for it now.

I am not understanding what 2.18 says about no insurance.

2.18 mentions the financials but doesn't mention insurance either way.

Clause 2.22 for retirement, mentions the financials but also doesnt mention the insurance.

Am I looking at the wrong immi order (ORDER OF THE IMMIGRATION BUREAU No. 327/2557)

22 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Here is a report, lol

You need to show Jomtien order 548/2562 for which the Insurance requirement for extensions based on O-A Visas only applied to section 2.22 (retirement), not 2.18 (marriage).

1. To repeal the Article 2.22 of the Criteria and Conditions for
Consideration of an Alien's Application for a Temporary Stay in the Kingdom
attached to the Order of the Royal Thai Police no.327/2557 dated June 30,
2014 concerning the Criteria and Conditions for Consideration of an Alien's
Application for a Temporary Stay in the Kingdom, amended by the Order of
Royal Thai Police no.35/2562 dated January 18, 2019 concerning the
Amendment for Criteria and Conditions for Consideration of an Alien' s
Application for a Temporary Stay in the Kingdom and shall be superseded by
the article attached to this order.

548-2562.changed327-2557(2019)Eng-Thai searchable.pdf

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I am not understanding what 2.18 says about no insurance.

2.18 mentions the financials but doesn't mention insurance either way.

I inserted a not in my post. Not enough coffee.

19 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Clause 2.22 for retirement, mentions the financials but also doesnt mention the insurance.

Am I looking at the wrong immi order (ORDER OF THE IMMIGRATION BUREAU No. 327/2557)

A amendment to police order 327/2557 changed it to show the insurance requirement in clause 2.22

See: Immigration order for OA insurance (eng only).pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You need to show Jomtien order 548/2562 for which the Insurance requirement for extensions based on O-A Visas only applied to section 2.22 (retirement), not 2.18 (marriage).

1. To repeal the Article 2.22 of the Criteria and Conditions for
Consideration of an Alien's Application for a Temporary Stay in the Kingdom
attached to the Order of the Royal Thai Police no.327/2557 dated June 30,
2014 concerning the Criteria and Conditions for Consideration of an Alien's
Application for a Temporary Stay in the Kingdom, amended by the Order of
Royal Thai Police no.35/2562 dated January 18, 2019 concerning the
Amendment for Criteria and Conditions for Consideration of an Alien' s
Application for a Temporary Stay in the Kingdom and shall be superseded by
the article attached to this order.

548-2562.changed327-2557(2019)Eng-Thai searchable.pdf 2.31 MB · 1 download

36 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I inserted a not in my post. Not enough coffee.

A amendment to police order 327/2557 changed it to show the insurance requirement in clause 2.22

See: Immigration order for OA insurance (eng only).pdf

Thanks Tanoshi, UJ

I was aware that insurance only applies to retire extension (2.22) and not marriage extension (2.18). I was gobsmacked when they insisted on insurance. Before I even sat down, the girl opened my passport, saw the OA (transferred from a previous PP) and said insurrance required.

Not sure if I will pursue the IO face loss exercise of showing the documents etc. I may mention it after I get my extension and do a dedicated thread for others.

The immigration guy (new) kept mentioning a date in march this year when I mentioned it only applies to 2.22 retire extension. Is it possible there has been another amendment etc

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Is it possible there has been another amendment etc

None has been done.

There was one done in March of last year for retirement extensions that had the 800k and 400k baht after the extension is done rule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Thank you, will do

Thai Embassies/Consulate would issue a Visa based on being named as the Father on the child's birth certificate, but Immigration do not accept that as proof of being the legitimate Father if the child was born out of wedlock (unless you later married).

Steps and information for legalisation of parental rights can be found here;

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

with the western countries devaluation of the currency due to the current situation, yes you do have to worry.

You do have to watch the exchange rates to be sure you have enough in the foreign currency account to insure you have enough to show the minimum amount in baht required on the day the letter from the bank is written. They use the exchange rate for the day it is written.

• Like 1