Elderly drivers with driving licenses for life to undergo fit to drive tests

rooster59

Just now, colinneil said:

Not just the elderly drivers need to under go fitness to drive tests, every driver here should have to do the same, as a very large percentage of drivers are not fit to be on the road.

Is that not done on the 5 yearly renewal ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Should they not test the young yaba'd up and testosteroned up young unlicensed drivers first?

If i see an older car on the road i am not so worried about the driving ability of the person behind the

wheel.

A new car with red plates?Watch out new driver?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Although many drivers have lifetime driving licenses, he said that their hearing and eyesight might not be as good as they were when they obtained the license.

Their hearing and eyesight might not be as good as they were when they obtained the license. Yeah normaly get much better when you get older!!!!! Real rocket scientist!

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Do you think passing a colour and reaction test is enough to ensure you are a good driver?

since they already qualified for driving license, i say yes.

the two main relevant things that will deteriorate with time, as in retirement age,

is reaction and eyes, these two tests will filter out nearly all unfit to drive on public roads

Edited by scammed

Just now, scammed said:

since they already qualified for driving license, i say yes.

the two main relevant things that will deteriorate with time, as in retirement age,

is reaction and eyes, these tests will filter out nearly all unfit to drive on public roads

Has very little with how you drive on the road, Thailand is proof of that.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Has very little with how you drive on the road, Thailand is proof of that.

there is no understanding of the concept of right of way,

but i think there is no hope for that part, on the contrary

i see a conversion from understanding to clueless among tvf members

on this very forum, it seem to be as infectious as corona

1 hour ago, JoePai said:

Is that not done on the 5 yearly renewal ?

Yes. But the article refers to lifetime licenses.

They stopped issuing these (don't know when).

But of course the existing remain valid.

So this is kind of a recall for older drivers only.

A stepson has one.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, scammed said:

there is no understanding of the concept of right of way,

but i think there is no hope for that part, on the contrary

i see a conversion from understanding to clueless among tvf members

on this very forum, it seem to be as infectious as corona

You do understand that Thailand has one of the highest, if not the highest, death tolls on the road, so the colour blindness test (very few countries have this) and reaction tests are meaningless in terms of making better drivers.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You do understand that Thailand has one of the highest, if not the highest, death tolls on the road, so the colour blindness test (very few countries have this) and reaction tests are meaningless in terms of making better drivers.

i believe every single nation has color test, or else the roads would constantly

have incidents because none can see the brakes light on the car in front,

leading to rear ramming, people would be violating traffic lights at crossings,

luckily we see none of that.

a bigger issue is people, including tvf members, think signaling and proceeding with caution

gives right of way to cut and cross lanes, i believe there is no cure for this level of illogical

line of thought, because at its heart its a lack of analytical skill and rationality

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

The of course there’s the 70’ something farang on his pocket rocket sports bike reliving some of his youth totally oblivious to how much he’s slowed down,

Are you in your 70's? How do you know he has slowed down? The problem arises only if said 70 year old has never ridden a sport bike before. But I do know some 40-50 year old ex racers who won't ride a sport bike on the road. Too dangerous. (one was 40 when he told me but now probably closer to 50?)

As with any skill it is "time in the seat" or experience which makes the difference which is why most collisions are cause by 18-24 year old with very little "time in the seat".

Fortunately the ergonomics of sport bikes are such that older riders will steer away from them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Captain_Bob said:

The most dangerous drivers on Thai roads are definitely males aged approximately 18-30 who think they can do whatever they want because they are self-entitled and invincible. A lot of them don't even have a drivers license because they are too cool to play by the rules. Or for that matter anyone who belongs to a well-connected hi-so family because they are above the law. 

Probably the same as the most dangerous drivers on British roads then!????