please dont Go Fund me

Harveyboy

46 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

i find that almost no one who says they are "self insured" here actually is. Some exceptions,. of course, but not many.

Some people seem to think having no insurance and no plan/ability to pay equals being self insured. It most definitely does not.

I've always took it as meaning they can comfortably pay if they do end up in hospital, so they edge their bets. Bit of a contradiction for me though as if you have plenty of money then why not just buy insurance.

6 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

I've always took it as meaning they can comfortably pay if they do end up in hospital, so they edge their bets. Bit of a contradiction for me though as if you have plenty of money then why not just buy insurance.

Believe me, most of those who say this cannot comfortably pay what a really major accident or illness would cost. It takes 1-3 million baht set aside and immediately available to really be self insured...

And then you have to consider what you will do once that is spent.

I know of a few people who meet that criteria -- people who due to pre-existing conditions cannot get health insurance and gave put aside at least a million baht for health care --  -- but not many.

Most people seem to think "self insured" is what to call having no insurance even though their savings are minimal. 

3 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Believe me, most of those who say this cannot comfortably pay what a really major accident or illness would cost. It takes 1-3 million baht set aside and immediately available to really be self insured...

And then you have to consider what you will do once that is spent.

I know of a few people who meet that criteria -- people who due to pre-existing conditions cannot get health insurance and gave put aside at least a million baht for health care --  -- but not many.

Most people seem to think "self insured" is what to call having no insurance even though their savings are minimal. 

To be fair there are plenty of people who comfortably have 1-3 mil, but yes a lot of bs's too.

Some also seem to think that having Thai gov insurance means they are sorted too, ie if they are teachers, but that is a risky game too for any major illnesses/accidents.

3 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

To be fair there are plenty of people who comfortably have 1-3 mil, but yes a lot of bs's too.

Some also seem to think that having Thai gov insurance means they are sorted too, ie if they are teachers, but that is a risky game too for any major illnesses/accidents.

If you are referring to Thai Social Securitu I would not say that. It will fully cover any major accident or illness.

8 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Accident insurance is rubbish, it's for tourists and kids..get your wallet out and cover yourself properly at your age.

Easy to say ....not so easy to obtain for someone of my age who suffered a stroke 8 years ago in Thailand.....

Never mind the thickness of my wallet, even if I could find someone to insure me, what is highly likely to kill me, would not be covered. 

10 hours ago, bigupandchill said:

I'm still in my 50's so not too worried about medical at the moment.

This is exactly when tio get insurance.

If you wait until you have reason to worry it will be too late as all pre-existing conditions are excluded.

Many people here make this mistake only to find the chance to get insurance is gone by the time they realize its importance

4 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Even if you have 1-3 million baht at the ready, is there enough left over to not derail your retirement?  Then, what about the next time you go into hospital and it's another million?  Accidents may be freak occurrences, but cancer, strokes, liver failure, and heart disease just keep on giving.  And then it's too late to get Thai insurance, and you don't qualify for the NHS back home- because you've been gone too long...

This is also a great cautionary tale for everyone whose backup health care plans is a flight to India (as if that's even possible now), or back home for gub'ment care.  The ambulance is going to take you where they want to if you're unconscious...  And it may not be a cheap, government hospital.

Edit:  And Sheryl makes another great point.  The funds have to be readily available.  Which is often a real challenge, sitting in a hospital bed.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, impulse said:

Even if you have 1-3 million baht at the ready, is there enough left over to not derail your retirement?  Then, what about the next time you go into hospital and it's another million?  Accidents may be freak occurrences, but cancer, strokes, liver failure, and heart disease just keep on giving.  And then it's too late to get Thai insurance, and you don't qualify for the NHS back home- because you've been gone too long...

This is also a great cautionary tale for everyone whose backup health care plans is a flight to India (as if that's even possible now), or back home for gub'ment care.  The ambulance is going to take you where they want to if you're unconscious...  And it may not be a cheap, government hospital.

Edit:  And Sheryl makes another great point.  The funds have to be readily available.  Which is often a real challenge, sitting in a hospital bed.

To be fair I can't argue with any of that. Some well laid out, concise on the money points. It reads like a sales pitch from a health insurance rep ????

It's actually pretty scary not having insurance when you weigh it all up.

Edited by Keyser Soze666

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

GFM .. has anybody tried "Pay for my beers here?". I'm pretty sure there are wannabe good samaritans that would keep you stocked for years. Not a fan of those begging sites.

In a lot of cases, they're not begging sites.  Just a convenient venue to allow friends and family to help out, from wherever they are in the world.  In a lot of cases, it's the only way to get CASH together quickly, when a lot of people's assets aren't instantly liquid from a hospital bed.  Lots of people pay back every dime when they get out of hospital.

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

Lots of people pay back every dime when they get out of hospital.

To go fund me? Is that even possible? Crowdloaning would be more ok-ish, but then you need an Igor with a hammer to make sure the loan gets paid back.

Edited by DrTuner

16 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Where do you go? Kolkata? wouldn't a govt hospital in Thailand been cheap enough?

No,I needed surgery,urgent at that.  No language barrier,seen instantly treated likewise,cheap and truly first class.   Covid now is the problem,was going for eye laser in India,..all now on hold

20 hours ago, Sheryl said:

While accident insurance is better than nothing, the maximum payouts tend to be quite low...too low to cover a catastrophic event

Also, accident is not all that can happen. heart attacks, strokes, cancer and other problems can strike even people who think they are very fit/invincible.

Good comprehensive expat health insurance costs more, of course. At age 67, about 90 - 100K baht annually.

And over 70s....forget it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/8/2020 at 5:49 AM, bigupandchill said:

I had to claim on this policy https://www.axa.co.th/en/personal-accident-protection recently and found the whole process very easy and efficient. In fact the hospital did everything. I paid 6,300 per year for 250,000 coverage including motorcycles.

I followed your link and looked at this AXA insurance. It does NOT cover:

3.2.2. While the Insured is riding or traveling on a motorcycle

This OP must have been promoting AXA?

3 minutes ago, ChrisPee said:

I followed your link and looked at this AXA insurance. It does NOT cover:

3.2.2. While the Insured is riding or traveling on a motorcycle

This OP must have been promoting AXA?

Yes it does, look more carefully, a clause at the back from memory, I did find the doc ambiguous so I got AXA to confirm by email that my policy included 250k medical cover per accident. Ops insurance sounds similar to mine, not sure if its the same

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Yes it does, look more carefully, a clause at the back from memory, I did find the doc ambiguous so I got AXA to confirm by email that my policy included 250k medical cover per accident. Ops insurance sounds similar to mine, not sure if its the same

https://thailandgi.cdn.axa-contento-118412.eu/thailandgi%2F26731de0-2feb-4cac-8231-d4d03fc1eb95_pa_b_eng_online_20191010_final.pdf

axa no moto bike.PNG