Insurance?

Maybe this has been covered before. Will those on retirement visas be allowed to re enter Thailand without health insurance? Due to my age no insurance company will insure me. If it's mandatory, this will mean no more visits to see my family abroad.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

At this time you cannot enter the country.

Insurance on entry is only required if you have a valid OA long stay visa issued by an embassy.

If on an extension of stay issued by immigration or a non-o visa it is not required.

Thankyou. Just to make myself clear. My visa was issued here in Thailand and I was referring to going out and reentering.

7 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Thankyou. Just to make myself clear. My visa was issued here in Thailand and I was referring to going out and reentering.

No, your O-A VISA was NOT issued here in Thailand, but maybe your extension of stay was...

Not the same thing..

glegolo

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

If it was issued in Thailand it would be non o . No insurance requirement.

If you exit Thailand it may be long time before you can enter. By then your extension and reentry permit may expire. 

What date is your current "admitted untill date" 

Do you mean that your visa was issued in Thailand or your extension was issued here.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

You apparently you have a extension of stay issued by immigration. It is not a visa.

No problem to leave and to re-enter the country at some later date when you would be allowed to enter the country.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

In the future I'm sure this requirement will be relaxed but for the time being if your in Thailand just renew your extension again for the time being.

There are many of us in the same position, concerned if we leave the Country, how would we re-enter in the current situation.

My retirement visa was issued in 1991 from a Marriage visa. My wife being a font of wisdom has said we will go to Immigration on Monday and get the information from the horses mouth? Maybe. Thanks all for the replies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If it was necessary to leave the country and you are married to a Thai you could apply for a certificate of entry at this time. You would need covid 19 insurance, a covid test 72 hours before arrival, a paid for ticket on a repatriation flight and then spend 14 days in a organized quarantine at a authorized hotel you have to pay for after arrival. 

Does the covid 19 insurance need to cover a full year?  The length of time until the retirement extension expires?  Or three months?  Or ... ?  I am confused about that.

1 minute ago, Pib said:

From the Thai Embassy Washington DC website regarding insurance requirements to obtain a COE.  Basically, must cover the entire period your entry allows.

https://thaiembdc.org/visas/

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/07/11/foreigners_family/

image.png.50553150f97983530cf8f4ba80e647af.png

OK, Thanks.  That would mean however long the extension of stay is good for.

11 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

You can spare yourself a useless journey.  Your local Immigration office will not be able to provide you any useful information on that issue, as it is completely outside their responsibility.

Airport border-immigration at the main thai international airports will be more knowledgeable in this area, but as @Tanoshi already mentioned enquiring at the Thai Embassy in your home-country would be the correct channel to consult.  Their website will probably provide you with some answers.

I understand. But would not changing from a Marriage visa to a Retirement visa in Thailand count as a visa granted in Thailand? Especially one issued twenty odd years ago before one of the many new conditions were introduced.

31 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

I understand. But would not changing from a Marriage visa to a Retirement visa in Thailand count as a visa granted in Thailand? Especially one issued twenty odd years ago before one of the many new conditions were introduced.

You still have not said what type of Visa you have/had such as Non-O or Non-OA.   That will be shown on the stamps/sticker in your passport like the example below. 

You originally started off with a Visa  years back good for a certain period...say 1 year....like a Non-O or Non-OA visa...and the reason you used to get it was probably for retirement or marriage.    Before the Visa expired you needed to go "extend" it  in order to stay in Thailand. 

When you apply to extend your stay in Thailand you applied using either a reason of Retirement or Marriage with that underling Non-O or Non-OA visa.  These two reasons can be used for either a Non-O or Non-OA visa.  

Once again, what type of Visa do your have: a Non-O or Non-OA or Non-B...or what?   And do not answer that it's a Retirement or Marriage visa/extension of stay.  

image.png.45067d3b4d0d51c0b60f01afa1426074.png

Edited by Pib
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pib said:

You still have not said what type of Visa you have/had such as Non-O or Non-OA.   That will be shown on the stamps in your passport. 

He wrote this earlier. It is a non-o.

2 hours ago, Gandtee said:

My retirement visa was issued in 1991 from a Marriage visa. My wife being a font of wisdom has said we will go to Immigration on Monday and get the information from the horses mouth? Maybe. Thanks all for the replies.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

He wrote this earlier. It is a non-o.

OK I missed that since he didn't specifically say Non-O.  Since he said he "started off" with a marriage visa it would have been a Non-O for marriage reason...but he later switched to retirement extension of stay reason on that original Non-O.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pib said:

OK I missed that since he didn't specifically say Non-O.  Since he said he "started off" with a marriage visa it would have been a Non-O for marriage reason...but he later switched to retirement extension of stay reason on that original Non-O.

I don't think the OP knows or understands the difference between visas and extensions, and I'm not sure his various marriage/retirement descriptions above in the thread provide any clarity to what exactly he started off with back in the beginning.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 10:42 AM, DrJack54 said:
On 8/8/2020 at 10:33 AM, Gandtee said:

If it was issued in Thailand it would be non o . No insurance requirement.

If you exit Thailand it may be long time before you can enter. By then your extension and reentry permit may expire. 

What date is your current "admitted untill date" 

Do you mean that your visa was issued in Thailand or your extension was issued here.

At the moment there is no real information as to the original visa that has been extended. 

@Grandtee may (probably does) not understand the difference between an extension of stay and a visa that misunderstanding is not helped by immigration wording. 

As has been said leaving Thailand at the moment is not too difficult. BUT returning is challenging to say the least. The answer that if you leave now you cannot come back (while technically not true) is the best advice. It very much depends on where you want to go to but it seems to vary between difficult and nearly impossible.

Best advice is don’t plan on taking an out-in trip for several months at the soonest, conceivably it could be over a year before anything remotely similar to normal travel is available.

there are 2 different kinds of insurance 1 COVID-19 insurance that all foreign people allowed into Thailand MUST have (there may be diplomatic/military exemption). The other insurance is for someone who’s original entry was on an OA visa. This is required by most offices for most people. There are exceptions but it is difficult to say who will or will not be permitted to extend their permission to stay or enter Thailand without it. Very old age could be a reason for exemption.

1 minute ago, cardinalblue said:

The Thai authorities did not think this virus insurance through...

how it is stated is wherever time you will reside in thailand be it 2 weeks or 3 months or visa expiration you must have specific health insurance 

it makes no sense beyond 2 weeks of insurance as if you become infected, it will locally infected then...why should you have insurance when expats similar to you who haven’t departed/returned to thailand not be required to have insurance?

this paranoid policy was created w/o thought nor merit nor evidence based....

When the govt implemented the COVID insurance policy they were playing it super safe as a person could catch COVID weeks or months after entry...catch it after after the 14 day quarantine period....and when first implementing I feel sure an alternate goal was to put up another high barrier for Thailand entry until a vaccine becomes widely available. 

Right now keeping the risk of COVID to a very, very low level is overriding the need to reopen the country's borders and international tourism.  It's a decision they know...are fully aware...is killing International tourism. And the "majority" of the Thai public seem to support the policy be it right or wrong.

I personally don't think that the issue of health insurance for Non-O Visa holders after the covid19 problem has been addressed yet. There has been no clear announcement that retirement Visa holders are being allowed back into Thailand yet. Hopefully when they are it will be made clear that the old regulations about health insurance will remain. That is Non-O Visa holders will not require compulsory health insurance. I am 73 and the highest affordable cover that I can get is for 400,000 baht with an insurer based in Thailand. They will continue to cover me until I am 99.

34 minutes ago, JusticeGB said:

I personally don't think that the issue of health insurance for Non-O Visa holders after the covid19 problem has been addressed yet.

Insurance is not required unless you entered the country using Non -OA visa have been extending it.

For those who used a non-o visa for entry do not have to have insurance.

It's my impression that anyone currently planning on entering Thailand (or re-entering) must have medical insurance including Covid 19 coverage in the amount of $100,000. It does not matter what kind of visa you have or what kind of extension you are on. The premiums for anyone my age are extremely high. I am about to renew my annual extension of stay based on a Non-OA visa and have the required insurance for that, including THB 40,000 Out Patient , including CV-19 coverage. Whether it would also cover me for the required Certificate of Entry from the Royal Thai Embassy in the U.S. is unknown to me, so I intend to ask- just for information- as I don't intend to leave any time soon.

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Basha said:

It's my impression that anyone currently planning on entering Thailand (or re-entering) must have medical insurance including Covid 19 coverage in the amount of $100,000. It does not matter what kind of visa you have or what kind of extension you are on.

Two kinds of Insurance requirement.

The general medical coverage 400/40K coverage, only applicable to those on a Non O-A Visa or subsequent 1 year extension of stay from an O-A entry.

The Covid 19 Insurance requirement, (100,000 USD) currently applicable to everyone wishing to enter Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

then spend 14 days in a organized quarantine at a authorized hotel you have to pay for after arrival. 

The organised quarantine ASQ that has to be booked before you are allocated a place on a repatriation flight, has to be bought and paid for at the time of booking. Some hotels will allow 50% upfront and the rest paid 7 -14 days before, but paying on arrival no chance.