Insurance?

9 hours ago, watgate said:

After watching the video on youtube by Dr Carrie Madej named 'Urgent Information on Covid Vaccine" and just recently hearing that the pharmaceutical companies are pushing for a new law that anyone who is adversely affected by taking the corona virus vaccine they can't be sued has convinced me not  to take it. Also, it normally takes 5-6 years or more before sufficient trials are completed to determine the efficacy and safety of a potential vaccine and big pharma is working at warp speed to get a vaccine approved in record time. I feel it is all about the incentive for huge profits and damn the safety procedures. I also don't trust Bill Gates and his hand is all over this vaccine. His foundation is behind the funding of the biggest pharmaceutical companies working on a vaccine. I am concerned that Thailand will require you to show you were vaccinated against the corona virus once one is finally approved in order to enter Thailand. I have already told my wife that if they do require a vaccine to enter Thailand then we will be looking for a new place to live.

I lived through the major Flu outbreak in 1957, which killed thousands more people in UK (and the world) than this virus has. We did not go into social distancing, wear face masks, banned from seeing our loved ones, banned from going out, banned from everything, yet here we all are today! Total unfounded paranoia. I also will not return if a vaccine is mandatory.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Do you think that there may be a connection between these two statements?

There may well be but, bear in mind, medical facilities and manpower were not as available or advanced, as they are today. What I am stating, is that life carried on as normal. Look back a few years and the Asian Bird flu, SARS etc were all paraded as life stoppers but the world population is actually increasing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bill014 said:

I am 68 and, here in the UK, I can get worldwide, multi-trip travel insurance for a premium of £67.48. This is for a max 35 day trip, gives £10 million of medical cover, INCLUDING Covid-19 + other benefits.

Since that coverage is only good for 35 days, then that means Thai immigration would only stamp you in for 35 days with 14 days of that being spent in ASQ.  Not sure what would happen if you already have a Visa/extension of stay for Thailand say good for almost a year....I expect the Thai Embassy you would be dealing with to get a COE would say the insurance doesn't cover the period of your intended stay if the intended stay length is until your current visa/extension of stay expires in almost a year.

• Like 2

I have a friend who has 800,000 in a Thai Bank, he has had extension of stay visas for many years. He went to Australia with his Thai wife but unfortunately his visa has/will run out before he can get back, how does this affect him regarding health insurance, apologizes for asking this question on another person's post

2 minutes ago, peleid said:

I have a friend who has 800,000 in a Thai Bank, he has had extension of stay visas for many years. He went to Australia with his Thai wife but unfortunately his visa has/will run out before he can get back, how does this affect him regarding health insurance, apologizes for asking this question on another person's post

He would need an Insurance policy for Covid cover up to 100,000 USD, as just one of the requirements for re-entry to Thailand under the current requirements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Since that coverage is only good for 35 days, then that means Thai immigration would only stamp you in for 35 days with 14 days of that being spent in ASQ.  Not sure what would happen if you already have a Visa/extension of stay for Thailand say good for almost a year....I expect the Thai Embassy you would be dealing with to get a COE would say the insurance doesn't cover the period of your intended stay if the intended stay length is until your current visa/extension of stay expires in almost a year.

Technically you are correct,although there is no stated need for that correlation (as we know TIT so it could be anyway). Additionally,on the face of it the policy would show validity for a year including Covid and it would require delving into the small print to reveal single trips of 35 days max. Would that be something they are likely to do? Alternatively,even if you had a visa extension beyond that date could you buy a return ticket to indicate that you intended to return before the 35 days...and just not use it ?

• Like 1

Set back and relax.  Your stuck here for a while.  Unless you want to jump through all the hoops needed to get back in. And the possibility of not getting back in. Decide where you want to be for the next couple years. And stay there. 

2 hours ago, Pib said:

50 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Technically you are correct,although there is no stated need for that correlation (as we know TIT so it could be anyway). Additionally,on the face of it the policy would show validity for a year including Covid and it would require delving into the small print to reveal single trips of 35 days max. Would that be something they are likely to do? Alternatively,even if you had a visa extension beyond that date could you buy a return ticket to indicate that you intended to return before the 35 days...and just not use it ?

Would it not be the Thai Embassies responsibility to check and ensure the Covid19 Insurance requirement is met for the planned duration of stay before issuing a certificate of entry.

Immigration would only be interested in the certificate at the point of entering.

• Like 2

I suggest to everyone on a Non O (retirement or otherwise) visa that want to re enter LOS that you write to not only your Embassy in your country, but to Bangkok embassy and ask them both to forward to the Thai Government a message to allow us Non Os back in. I know it is not a democracy but could help.

Cheers

8 hours ago, nchuckle said:

But the Thai Embassy issuing the COE supposedly requires a copy of your insurance policy to confirm required COVID coverage for amount and period of your authorized stay along with other COE requirements.  Gotta get the COE issued before being allowed into Thailand...or even getting on the plane.  And I expect the embassy knows some people will try to play insurance coverage games. Would need to talk to the COE-issuing Thai Embassy for what-ifs.

12 hours ago, bill014 said:

I am 68 and, here in the UK, I can get worldwide, multi-trip travel insurance for a premium of £67.48. This is for a max 35 day trip, gives £10 million of medical cover, INCLUDING Covid-19 + other benefits.

But you are not 86! Try getting it when you are.

Is it confirmed somewhere that on re-entering Thailand you need to have covid-19 insurance covering the full period of your intended stay?

It's crazy that there is no clarity about this.

And if you need to be covered for the full period of your intended stay, that's also a crazy and not well-thought out approach, because you can arrive with a 30-day, 60-day, 90-day or remaining days on your MutipleEntry Visa / Re-Entry permit.

So what if you apply for an extension of stay after your arrival and permission to stay used up?

> imo a requirement for a 30-day valid covid-19 insurance on the moment of entry would make some sense, as that already covers twice the incubation period of covid-19, so after 30 days it is clear that you were virus-free on entry.  And then there is no difference anymore between you and anybody else staying in Thailand.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

So what if you apply for an extension of stay after your arrival and permission to stay used up?

> imo a requirement for a 30-day valid covid-19 insurance on the moment of entry would make some sense, as that already covers twice the incubation period of covid-19, so after 30 days it is clear that you were virus-free on entry.  And then there is no difference anymore between you and anybody else staying in Thailand.

Exactly as I see the situation.

The Covid Insurance is only a requirement for entry, not to stay in Thailand.

Provincial Immigration offices probably wouldn't even be aware of the entry requirements and there is nothing in their orders to request such Insurance, unlike the General Health Insurance requirement for extensions of O-A Visas.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

There is plenty of clarity. Any Thai embassy in the world will confirm it needs to cover the full period of your stay.

If there is any lack of clarity it is posters here who don't read the embassy's web sites or who have not spoken to them.

As for how many days you arrive on - who is actually going to leave after that? Everyone is going to get an extension. Thus it is the period of your intended stay, not the period of your initial entry.

When you apply for the entry-Visa, how can the Thai Embassy check the 'full period of your intended stay'?  They can only go by the permission to stay, that your Visa application will provide you.

And showing them a return-ticket at the end of the permission to stay for your Visa application, that would determine your 'period of stay'.

Once in country it is very unlikely that a local Immigration office where you apply for an extension of stay, would require you to show covid-19 insurance.  And rightfully so, because having been 30, 60 or 90 days in country 'proves' that you are covid-free and are not different than anybody else staying in Thailand.

9 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

This is over complicating the issue. Just take the insurance out for 1 year and then you are covered for covid until it is over. They may well make it compulsory for extensions anyway. Can't hurt to have it. I'm in ASQ and keeping mine, even though I can cancel, in case I need it again.

No, it is not 'over complicating the issue'.  It is simple common sense.

Why pay for covid-19 insurance for a full year when you can limit it to the permission to stay of the Visa you are applying for?

Especially since after 30-days in-country, there is no difference anymore between you and anybody else already residing in Thailand.

Of course, if you WANT to be covered for a full-year, nobody will object you doing so.

But I do not buy the argument that you need insurance when already longer than 30 days in Thailand.  If that argument goes, EVERYBODY residing in Thailand should have that mandatory insurance.

6 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Is it confirmed somewhere that on re-entering Thailand you need to have covid-19 insurance

7ECF71D1-93C4-4F32-96E8-0A703EDD1862.jpeg.a74a60bf7b0d0d15cfb404939c313251.jpeg

there are various Thai embassy websites that state that all non Thai people must have insurance or documentation proving equivalent coverage (the equivalent coverage applies mostly to diplomats and other special cases)

39 minutes ago, PatrickC said:

Common sense is subjective.

You clearly don't want to pay for insurance for the entire year. However I simply don't care - I'm happy to pay for it and be done with it. If you pay the full year you are covered, including if they make it mandatory for those residing in Thailand for extensions (possible).

Your original post said there was no clarity around time periods. There is plenty of clarity - length of intended stay. If you want to turn yourself in circles trying to work out the cheapest way to satisfy the authorities requirements, that is up to you.

Many people are now in ASQ, all of whom have had to have the insurance (including me) so it is clearly not that complicated. Just take it for 1 year, print the certificate, and you are done.

BTW most insurance policies can be cancelled part way for a pro rata refund if you read the Ts&Cs, so if you want to cancel after a month or 2 and get a refund, you can.

And there will be a difference between you and those already residing in Thailand - you'll have better insurance which you can use if you happen to get covid. I'm keeping mine for that reason. You never know what might happen.

To add to the above - Shouldn’t we all have insurance cover when in Thailand anyway?

Unless of course someone want to rely on a ‘Go fund me’ appeal when they fall off the back of a motorcycle or slip in the shower. 

28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

To add to the above - Shouldn’t we all have insurance cover when in Thailand anyway?

Unless of course someone want to rely on a ‘Go fund me’ appeal when they fall off the back of a motorcycle or slip in the shower.

Some overall health-insurance policies also provide covid-19 coverage.

And you can buy relatively cheap specific covid-19 insurance when in Thailand.

I am residing in Thailand and my long-term travel-insurance policy does NOT cover it.

But I do not see the necessity for subscribing to such a policy given the fact that Thailand is virtually covid-free.  Of course everybody is free to subscribe to such covid-19 insurance if they think it useful for their situation.

1 minute ago, Peter Denis said:
37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Some overall health-insurance policies also provide covid-19 coverage.

And you can buy relatively cheap specific covid-19 insurance when in Thailand.

I am residing in Thailand and my long-term travel-insurance policy does NOT cover it.

But I do not see the necessity for subscribing to such a policy given the fact that Thailand is virtually covid-free.  Of course everybody is free to subscribe to such covid-19 insurance if they think it useful for their situation.

The ‘long term’ health policy I was in the process of choosing anyway (and had already chosen for my Wife and Son) included Covid-19 cover. 

This policy also covers international health care (except USA). But isn’t travel insurance (i.e. doesn’t work for lost baggage, trip cancellation etc). 

The Covid-19 cover (and certificate) was simply something expected of any policy I would have chosen. 

I’m not sure that travel insurance would be valid for someone living in Thailand for 6 months at a time etc (although policies vary).

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m not sure that travel insurance would be valid for someone living in Thailand for 6 months at a time etc (although policies vary).

In my case - being fully covered health-care wise at no cost in my home-country - travel-insurance which includes both unlimited health-insurance as well as unlimited repatriation coverage, is my best option.

My home-country issued travel-insurance policy covers any trip up to 6 months (after which I do need to be back in my home-country for 2 weeks, in order to be eligible for my next 6 month trip).

Note: For the 'overflow' months (I stay longer than 6 months in Thailand) I make use of on-the-fly travel-insurance.