It's my impression that anyone currently planning on entering Thailand (or re-entering) must have medical insurance including Covid 19 coverage in the amount of $100,000. It does not matter what kind of visa you have or what kind of extension you are on. The premiums for anyone my age are extremely high. I am about to renew my annual extension of stay based on a Non-OA visa and have the required insurance for that, including THB 40,000 Out Patient , including CV-19 coverage. Whether it would also cover me for the required Certificate of Entry from the Royal Thai Embassy in the U.S. is unknown to me, so I intend to ask- just for information- as I don't intend to leave any time soon.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Immigration do not issue Retirement or Marriage Visas. They issue annual extensions of your permission of stay (permits) which your renew each year, based on retirement or Thai family.  

If it was necessary to leave the country and you are married to a Thai you could apply for a certificate of entry at this time. You would need covid 19 insurance, a covid test 72 hours before arrival,

In the future I'm sure this requirement will be relaxed but for the time being if your in Thailand just renew your extension again for the time being. There are many of us in the same position, c

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Basha said:

It's my impression that anyone currently planning on entering Thailand (or re-entering) must have medical insurance including Covid 19 coverage in the amount of $100,000. It does not matter what kind of visa you have or what kind of extension you are on.

Two kinds of Insurance requirement.

The general medical coverage 400/40K coverage, only applicable to those on a Non O-A Visa or subsequent 1 year extension of stay from an O-A entry.

The Covid 19 Insurance requirement, (100,000 USD) currently applicable to everyone wishing to enter Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

then spend 14 days in a organized quarantine at a authorized hotel you have to pay for after arrival. 

The organised quarantine ASQ that has to be booked before you are allocated a place on a repatriation flight, has to be bought and paid for at the time of booking. Some hotels will allow 50% upfront and the rest paid 7 -14 days before, but paying on arrival no chance.

9 hours ago, watgate said:

After watching the video on youtube by Dr Carrie Madej named 'Urgent Information on Covid Vaccine" and just recently hearing that the pharmaceutical companies are pushing for a new law that anyone who is adversely affected by taking the corona virus vaccine they can't be sued has convinced me not  to take it. Also, it normally takes 5-6 years or more before sufficient trials are completed to determine the efficacy and safety of a potential vaccine and big pharma is working at warp speed to get a vaccine approved in record time. I feel it is all about the incentive for huge profits and damn the safety procedures. I also don't trust Bill Gates and his hand is all over this vaccine. His foundation is behind the funding of the biggest pharmaceutical companies working on a vaccine. I am concerned that Thailand will require you to show you were vaccinated against the corona virus once one is finally approved in order to enter Thailand. I have already told my wife that if they do require a vaccine to enter Thailand then we will be looking for a new place to live.

I lived through the major Flu outbreak in 1957, which killed thousands more people in UK (and the world) than this virus has. We did not go into social distancing, wear face masks, banned from seeing our loved ones, banned from going out, banned from everything, yet here we all are today! Total unfounded paranoia. I also will not return if a vaccine is mandatory.

• Like 1

I am 68 and, here in the UK, I can get worldwide, multi-trip travel insurance for a premium of £67.48. This is for a max 35 day trip, gives £10 million of medical cover, INCLUDING Covid-19 + other benefits.

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Do you think that there may be a connection between these two statements?

There may well be but, bear in mind, medical facilities and manpower were not as available or advanced, as they are today. What I am stating, is that life carried on as normal. Look back a few years and the Asian Bird flu, SARS etc were all paraded as life stoppers but the world population is actually increasing.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, bill014 said:

I am 68 and, here in the UK, I can get worldwide, multi-trip travel insurance for a premium of £67.48. This is for a max 35 day trip, gives £10 million of medical cover, INCLUDING Covid-19 + other benefits.

Since that coverage is only good for 35 days, then that means Thai immigration would only stamp you in for 35 days with 14 days of that being spent in ASQ.  Not sure what would happen if you already have a Visa/extension of stay for Thailand say good for almost a year....I expect the Thai Embassy you would be dealing with to get a COE would say the insurance doesn't cover the period of your intended stay if the intended stay length is until your current visa/extension of stay expires in almost a year.

• Like 2

I have a friend who has 800,000 in a Thai Bank, he has had extension of stay visas for many years. He went to Australia with his Thai wife but unfortunately his visa has/will run out before he can get back, how does this affect him regarding health insurance, apologizes for asking this question on another person's post

2 minutes ago, peleid said:

I have a friend who has 800,000 in a Thai Bank, he has had extension of stay visas for many years. He went to Australia with his Thai wife but unfortunately his visa has/will run out before he can get back, how does this affect him regarding health insurance, apologizes for asking this question on another person's post

He would need an Insurance policy for Covid cover up to 100,000 USD, as just one of the requirements for re-entry to Thailand under the current requirements.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Pib said:

Since that coverage is only good for 35 days, then that means Thai immigration would only stamp you in for 35 days with 14 days of that being spent in ASQ.  Not sure what would happen if you already have a Visa/extension of stay for Thailand say good for almost a year....I expect the Thai Embassy you would be dealing with to get a COE would say the insurance doesn't cover the period of your intended stay if the intended stay length is until your current visa/extension of stay expires in almost a year.

Technically you are correct,although there is no stated need for that correlation (as we know TIT so it could be anyway). Additionally,on the face of it the policy would show validity for a year including Covid and it would require delving into the small print to reveal single trips of 35 days max. Would that be something they are likely to do? Alternatively,even if you had a visa extension beyond that date could you buy a return ticket to indicate that you intended to return before the 35 days...and just not use it ?

• Like 1

Set back and relax.  Your stuck here for a while.  Unless you want to jump through all the hoops needed to get back in. And the possibility of not getting back in. Decide where you want to be for the next couple years. And stay there. 

2 hours ago, Pib said:

50 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Technically you are correct,although there is no stated need for that correlation (as we know TIT so it could be anyway). Additionally,on the face of it the policy would show validity for a year including Covid and it would require delving into the small print to reveal single trips of 35 days max. Would that be something they are likely to do? Alternatively,even if you had a visa extension beyond that date could you buy a return ticket to indicate that you intended to return before the 35 days...and just not use it ?

Would it not be the Thai Embassies responsibility to check and ensure the Covid19 Insurance requirement is met for the planned duration of stay before issuing a certificate of entry.

Immigration would only be interested in the certificate at the point of entering.

• Like 2

I suggest to everyone on a Non O (retirement or otherwise) visa that want to re enter LOS that you write to not only your Embassy in your country, but to Bangkok embassy and ask them both to forward to the Thai Government a message to allow us Non Os back in. I know it is not a democracy but could help.

Cheers