Are you prepared?

Spaniel

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Hopefully people arrange a helper when they get older, maybe someone receiving a regular wage and will take care if you have a stroke etc

I prefer the 'have lots of Thai children' approach.

And hope one of them hangs around to look after me, if I don't die a relatively quick death.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Spaniel said:

I am 76, normal weight for my 5'9" frame and up until March exercised daily (walking 10 km a day).  Non smoker and drinker.  So, why did I have a stroke  in March?

Walking 10Km/day on the flat isn't that much exercise, is probably the answer.

There's also a genetic propensity for old age as well.

But at 76 you need to expect death at any time.

I'm 64, cycle 20Km/day, hike in the mountains often ...... doubt I'll make 70, none of my family do.

Did have a pal that had strokes from age 60, Dave2 on this forum, he died age 70 in his bed.

So it's not the end for you quite yet.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

Just now, EVENKEEL said:

10 km is a good walk for anyone, stop the nonsense. But agree that at age 76 nothing is guaranteed. Same goes for anyone at any age. 

...... about 200Kcals according to Strava.

Anything less than 1,000Kcals is hardly worth the effort IMHO.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 4

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

"Eat healthy, live healthy, feel better healthy, live longer, die anyway".........

Possibly.........

Have many friends that sustained mild injuries during exercise when they were younger. Now that they are a lot older most of them have dodgy joints.

Golfers seem particularly prone to this.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Spaniel said:

I would like to recount briefly my recent health experience.  I am 76, normal weight for my 5'9" frame and up until March exercised daily (walking 10 km a day).  Non smoker and drinker.  So, why did I have a stroke  in March? 

Yep makes you wonder why bother with any exercise, I  think some people are  just prone to it whatever. No  history of heart problems in my Family Dad dead at 86 Mother  still alive at 92

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Anything less than 1,000Kcals is hardly worth the effort IMHO.

How many calories do you spend doing your young beautiful wife on the side?

You know anything less than 1,000 calories you might as well stay home!

Saves another 1000 as well.lol.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

10 km is a good walk for anyone, stop the nonsense. But agree that at age 76 nothing is guaranteed. Same goes for anyone at any age. 

Sadly the human body is designed to be extremely efficient at walking...........you have to exercise in a way that raises your heartbeat substantially for a good period of time.

I'm 65 and run 5k in 30 minutes everyday, then swim for one hour at a steady pace.........probably drop dead next week!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Brisk walking is excellent exercise, and may be a better choice than more vigorous work outs for older people.  Calories burned is not the best metric.

Above all, the best fitness regimen is the one you can stick with long term.

absolutely, everyone has different abilities and capabilities; some can only manage to walk on the flat, personally i love spending the day walking in the mountains - i played rugby into my 30s and used to road run but had to stop due to knee pain - the important thing for physical and mental health is to excercise regularly.

3 hours ago, Spaniel said:

I am 76, normal weight for my 5'9" frame and up until March exercised daily (walking 10 km a day).  Non smoker and drinker.  So, why did I have a stroke  in March?

Blood pressure?
Diet?

19 minutes ago, KeeTua said:

Blood pressure?
Diet?

Need to see numbers recently and in past years. Talking BP, EKG, scans, LDL, HDL, triglycerides, etc. What did the doc say, anyway?

Walking's better than nothing of course. Might have his stroke at 70 without it, who knows? However, not sure how brisk that walking was. Intensity is what's most helpful. Then shorter durations are possible and even desirable, given the wear and tear on joints that comes with long periods of repetitive activity.

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Walking 10Km/day on the flat isn't that much exercise, is probably the answer.

There's also a genetic propensity for old age as well.

But at 76 you need to expect death at any time.

I'm 64, cycle 20Km/day, hike in the mountains often ...... doubt I'll make 70, none of my family do.

Did have a pal that had strokes from age 60, Dave2 on this forum, he died age 70 in his bed.

So it's not the end for you quite yet.

Thanks for your reply although I do disagree with a couple of your points, i.e. concerning walking and death. I walk at a quite brisk pace and have done so for the past forty years.   Why should I expect death at any time although I agree it could come.   I hardly live my life as I expect to die tomorrow.  

• Like 1

OP, you have commented on the one thing that worries me quite a bit.  If Mrs P is away with her Mum in the  north, I am left here with my two dogs.  No doubt if I didn't pitch up at the gym, or the coffee shop (where my friends and I  tend to meet up) they would eventually come around to check on me, but that would be way too late in the case of a stroke or heart attack. I keep my phones close, but that may not help if I am incapacitated. My neighbours keep to themselves, as do I, so they would be no help.  I too don't know what the answer is, maybe there isn't one.  Just keep my fingers crossed I guess. 

20 hours ago, KeeTua said:

Blood pressure?
Diet?

I have had high BP for the past 3 years which is kept under control by taking a daily BP med, Hyzaar.   I am not a fanatical dieter but I do watch what I eat and rarely eat between meals.  No Coke, Pepsi etc and limit sweets. As already mentioned I quit smoking when I was 27 and although never a heavy drinker I stopped and haven't had a alcholic drink in about 20 years.   I know,  what you're thinking.  What a boring life!  Maybe so but it works for my wife and I.   

• Like 2