Are you prepared?

Spaniel

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

Problem is, people often ignore or won't accept thses proven natural cures, prevention, or at least postponement. These often involve a change of lifestyle. ????

13 Habits Linked to a Long Life (Backed by Science)

Such was the case w/ my friends I mentioned. In fact they stayed in denial about the proven natural remedies and chose to rely upon the scientifically proven pills as they sat all day in their recliners in front of a huge TV, pigging out on junk. A lot of the problems I see in this forum should have been, barring genetic flaws or accidents, preventable and were no doubt predictable. 

Please list a few of these scientifically proven natural remedies.

Don't get me wrong, some of these natural remedies do work. Quinine, aspirin and digitalis are very effective.

Just now, KarenBravo said:

Try refuting my post instead of a very weak attempt at humour.

as stated......nothing will change you.     sad, but your choice.

if you are 70 years old......come and compare your health to mine.  maybe that will be as much

proof as your steve jobs  anecdote

Edited by rumak

Please list a few of these scientifically proven natural remedies.

Don't get me wrong, some of these natural remedies do work. Quinine, aspirin and digitalis are very effective.

big star.    don't waste your time    lol     

Just now, rumak said:

as stated......nothing will change you.     sad, but your choice.

if you are 70 years old......come and compare your health to mine.  maybe that will be as much

proof as your steve jobs   bs

Wrong. If I don't believe that something is effective, but, it is subsequently proved that it is effective, then like most rational human beings, I will change my mind. How about you?

Your present health has no bearing on your future health.

Jim Fixx who popularized jogging and was very fit, dropped dead at the age of 52.

Now......concerning your refutation of my post?

Karen,  you catching up on the "flox" stories?    There is a large Facebook group devoted to the terrible

damage it caused hundreds of thousands of trusting patients.    What was once a commonly prescribed

antibiotic ( for many many years! )  now FINALLY carries a black box warning.

Just one of many examples if you care to spend time researching

educate yourself about more than aspirin

Wrong. If I don't believe that something is effective, but, it is subsequently proved that it is effective, then like most rational human beings, I will change my mind. How about you?

Jim Fixx who popularized jogging and was very fit, dropped dead at the age of 52.

Now......concerning your refutation of my post?

robot  .......bye

Edited by rumak

1 minute ago, rumak said:

Karen,  you catching up on the "flox" stories?    There is a large Facebook group devoted to the terrible

damage it caused hundreds of thousands of trusting patients.    What was once a commonly prescribed

antibiotic ( for many many years! )  now FINALLY carries a black box warning.

Just one of many examples if you care to spend time researching

educate yourself about more than aspirin

What is the name of this antibiotic?

14 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

That all depends.

14 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Which, after all, was 10 years more than his father, who'd had his first heart attack at 35. Poor genes and earlier very poor lifestyle that left him vulnerable. Ignored significant warning signs, refused checkups and diagnosis.

But you've confused fitness with health, as people commonly do, including Jim Fixx.

Edited by BigStar

4 minutes ago, BigStar said:

That all depends.

Which, after all, was 10 years more than his father, who'd had his first heart attack at 35. Poor genes and earlier very poor lifestyle that left him vulnerable. Ignored significant warning signs, refused checkups and diagnosis.

But you've confused fitness with health, as people commonly do, including Jim Fixx.

Just checked and you are right. Learned something today. But, what would a robot like me know?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Yes, I believe them, but, to me, natural remedies are a substance used, not really a habit, though I can see why you classify it as such.

A remedy needn't be a substance, a very useful principle to know. I can take a scientific pill to stop the symptoms of my knee pain until I need a scientific knee replacement, or perhaps I can eliminate its cause and make my knee stronger via scientific physical therapy that will enable it to serve me well indefinitely.  

These habits may use some natural substances, however, while avoiding others, particularly in excess.

5 hours ago, BigStar said:

Of course not everyone is lucky to have a Canadaian passport and the older I get the more I appreciate it. 

actually,  Pravda said the above quote   ????

Yep, Canada is my one option , go live with my daughter and get residency.  Hmmmmmm

Maybe when hell freezes over .     "Dad,  it already has.   They named it Canada"  !

unless someone is offering me some land on the warmer west coast,  no need to tell me how nice

it is ............    pang mak

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 5:29 AM, BritManToo said:

Walking 10Km/day on the flat isn't that much exercise, is probably the answer.

There's also a genetic propensity for old age as well.

But at 76 you need to expect death at any time.

I'm 64, cycle 20Km/day, hike in the mountains often ...... doubt I'll make 70, none of my family do.

Did have a pal that had strokes from age 60, Dave2 on this forum, he died age 70 in his bed.

So it's not the end for you quite yet.

Walking 10 kms a day is quite a lot for 76 year old person imo. It equals 6 km/h for 1 hour and 40 minutes, which I doubt many 76 year old is able to hold. Anyhow....

How about blood pressure, blood sugar, cholestrol etc etc? How about diet, lots of sugar and fast carbs? Those are more important factors then exercising....

And remember that even persons that exercises a lot, have a healthy diet and normal main monitored levels of blood pressure, cholestrol, blood sugar etc etc - get strokes and heart attacks. Nobody can secure themselves from any diseases. Nothing last forever, and everything has an end.

The most surprising with this story is that a 76 year old person got surprised that he got a stroke....

Thanks Spaniel.

Good question - too bad some did not read your post carefully,

Your question is a matter of real concern to many of us.

I am 64 now, and about 3 years ago I developed severe chest pains while in bed at night.  I knew from the symptoms that is was probably not a heart attack or stroke.  Luckily, my partner at the time was a nurse.  She, however, thought it may have been a heart attack or a stroke.  She quickly drove me to the local government hospital - the staff assumed a mild heart attack, and responded accordingy.  Tests came back negative - diagnosis, severe heart burn.

Then early last year, just after midnight, my then partner had a severe allergic reaction to a new medication she was taking.  "Call an ambulance" she said.  "No, I do NOT want you to take me to hospital, call an ambulance now" she demanded.  I woke her 20 year year old daughter who was staying with us at the time; the daughter called the ambulance.  Then partner was ok after 12 hours in hospital.  I later learnt that her daughter had to provide detailed instructions to the ambulance people on how to get to our house.  Lesson - unless you are going to a private hospital, maybe, and you need an ambulabce, you need someone with you who speaks Thai.

So - the lesson - if you are not youngish and living alone, and you want to live, you need to plan for a medical emergency at home.

I know of an elderly Thai-farang couple in their early 70s who live nearby.  They are both in fair-good health, and still mobile.  They have employed two young Thais to stay with them 24/7 on 12 hour daily shifts, with another young Thai to stay with them when the other 2 have their weekly day of, or cannot work for some reason.  Another elderly farang couple I know have employed a full-time nurse to live with them 24/7; they get another person in one day a week when the nurse has her day off.

On 8/8/2020 at 11:31 AM, KarenBravo said:

I think Trump is the poster boy for unhealthy life-style not being rigidly connected to longevity.

No exercise to speak of and a junk-food diet and he's seventy-four.

He does not live in Thailand. Seems irrelevant to this discussion.

On 8/8/2020 at 11:39 AM, BritManToo said:

...... about 200Kcals according to Strava.

Anything less than 1,000Kcals is hardly worth the effort IMHO.

So he needs to do about 50km/day by your calculations ? - actually, a brisk walk for 1 hour/day is very good heart heart exercise. Combined with a good diet and some regular resistance exercises , there isn’t much else you can do. 

On 8/8/2020 at 11:09 AM, bodga said:

Yep makes you wonder why bother with any exercise, I  think some people are  just prone to it whatever. No  history of heart problems in my Family Dad dead at 86 Mother  still alive at 92

so you can drink, eat, smoke, fly whatever and you will have no consequences ? lol

life decades ago was less unhealthy, less pollution, no GMO, no emf, etc...

52 minutes ago, Road Warrior said:

i am 78 and would never live alone at this age due illness if it happens at such a age 

But the question still remains "Are you prepared ?"
Age is perhaps more important as you get older but you can have a life threatening emergency at any age.
If you are living with someone are they prepared for something happening to you, what would they do, do you have details of drug allergies etc, if yes where are they ?
It is not fair to rely on others at a sudden health crisis of your self, what happens if they are ill or suddenly taken ill, what would you do ?