UK concerned by rise in small boats crossing from France, immigration official says

rooster59

UK concerned by rise in small boats crossing from France, immigration official says

2020-08-08T030111Z_1_LYNXNPEG77028_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-MIGRANTS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Border Force crews of British Coastal Patrol vessels position their craft in Ramsgate harbour, Britain, January 4, 2019. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls/File photo

(Reuters) - The United Kingdom is concerned by an "unacceptable" rise in the number of small boats crossing the English Channel from France and would act to return "illegal" migrants, immigration compliance minister Chris Philp said in an opinion piece for The Telegraph newspaper https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/08/07/intend-return-many-illegal-migrants-have-arrived-possible.

Philp said he was going to Paris next week to discuss the issue. The UK would urge France to stop migrants from getting into boats and would also "need to intercept" those who do leave France and "return those who make it to our shores," Philp wrote.

A rising number of migrants attempting to cross the English Channel from France have led to ministers demanding tougher actions from the French government.

"The French must ensure that migrants who are caught attempting to reach the UK by boat cannot do so again," Philp wrote.

Separately, The Times newspaper reported that UK ministers are considering blocking migrant boats in the English Channel before they can enter UK waters, modelled on tactics used by Australia against migrants, which could involve the Royal Navy and Border Force intercepting vessels as they leave French waters.

Almost 4,000 people have crossed the English Channel this year in more than 300 small boats, according to a BBC report.

Most migrants include families from countries such as Yemen, Egypt, Sudan and Iraq, among others, fleeing their homes in search of better jobs and living conditions.

Another Cabinet member in the Conservative government, finance Minister Rishi Sunak, said on Friday that people were "right to be frustrated" over migrant crossings and that the government was committed to reducing them.

(Reporting by Bhargav Acharya and Kanishka Singh in Bengaluru; Editing by Sandra Maler and Grant McCool)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-08-08

1 minute ago, Orton Rd said:

Launched an initiative to deport, where is the report on the numbers actually deported? out of about 4k this year on this one method of arriving illegally, never mind the lorries, camper vans and sneaking in via Ireland 

Contact your MP

42 minutes ago, johnray said:

Kept out the Germans for two world wars.  Can't keep control of a small white boat.

Not that the Germans ever wanted in. When did the UK begin their relentless immigration policies?

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

concerned but not enough to do anything about it, apart from giving them 40 quid a week, putting them up in 4 star hotels and providing free meals, wi fi and medical services. Hardy a way to discourage thousands more is it? Nigel Farage even proves a party of these illegal immigrants were given a tour of Liverpool FC, total insanity.

It's almost as if the wool is being pulled over your eyes.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:
I know a few things to be true. I do not know where I am going, where I have come from is disappearing, I am unwelcome and my beauty is not beauty here. My body is burning with the shame of not belonging, my body is longing. I am the sin of memory and the absence of memory. I watch the news and my mouth becomes a sink full of blood. The lines, the forms, the people at the desks, the calling cards, the immigration officers, the looks on the street, the cold settling deep into my bones, the English classes at night, the distance I am from home. But Alhamdulilah all of this is better than the scent of a woman completely on fire, or a truckload of men, who look like my father pulling out my teeth and nails, or fourteen men between my legs, or a gun, or a promise, or a lie, or his name, or his manhood in my mouth

Listen to Warsan Shire’s song “Home” and then pontificate and rage against those fleeing terror. 

I think Warsan's seat was stolen by a male looking for free money.  Apparently in Africa they don't burden themselves with the notion of women and children first.

15 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:
I know a few things to be true. I do not know where I am going, where I have come from is disappearing, I am unwelcome and my beauty is not beauty here. My body is burning with the shame of not belonging, my body is longing. I am the sin of memory and the absence of memory. I watch the news and my mouth becomes a sink full of blood. The lines, the forms, the people at the desks, the calling cards, the immigration officers, the looks on the street, the cold settling deep into my bones, the English classes at night, the distance I am from home. But Alhamdulilah all of this is better than the scent of a woman completely on fire, or a truckload of men, who look like my father pulling out my teeth and nails, or fourteen men between my legs, or a gun, or a promise, or a lie, or his name, or his manhood in my mouth

Listen to W’arsan Shire’s words in “Home” and then pontificate and rage against those fleeing terror. 

A scorpion, which cannot swim, asks a frog to carry it across a river on the frog's back. The frog hesitates, afraid of being stung by the scorpion, but the scorpion argues that if it did that, they would both drown. The frog considers this argument sensible and agrees to transport the scorpion. Midway across the river, the scorpion stings the frog anyway, dooming them both. The dying frog asks the scorpion why it stung despite knowing the consequence, to which the scorpion replies: "I couldn't help it. It's in my nature."