BANGKOK
Susco

PEA debacle - own transformer - domestic or industrial rate?

Not sure where to post this so try here.

I built my house along a public paved road in 2012. There is no electricity utility network near my house, as it stops about 200 meter away.

Since there is High Voltage, I installed a 30 Kva single phase transformer, and have a single watt-hour 45/100 meter.

On my monthly bills there has always been a service charge of 312.24 Baht.

In May I went to PEA to get refund for my meter deposit, and was told that is not available for businesses, to which I replied that I don't have a business.

They looked up in their computer, and I think ( not sure ) that it showed a 3 Phase 50 Kva transformer and TOU meter, which I disputed, and they told mee they would do a new survey.

On June 8 a guy from PEA visited, had a look and told me he saw the mistake.

Next bill the service charge was reduced to 38.22 Baht, as it should be for a residential with single watt-hour meter

So now of course I went back to PEA to claim a refund for the 8 years of overcharged service fee, which was because they apparently had a wrong original survey.

That is when the discussion started, that because I have a transformer I'm automatically classified as a business, which I dispute because nothing of that is written in their own terms and conditions. Also, why was the guy who did the new survey not aware of this, and changed my status to residential.

The discussion went as high as the PEA manager, who instructed his peasants to change my status back to business.

I leave the PEA electricity tariffs below, so maybe someone with more knowledge can tell me which is the correct status for my connection, going by the details I have given and what is stated in the tariffs.

887496590_peacapture.JPG.de61c34059f9052142ac337d6e1b3406.JPG

Nobody any idea?

To be honest I have no clue what rate you should be on. Logic says domestic but you know where we are ...

I know a couple of people with their own transformers, I'll check with them what kind of tariff they're on.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Crossy said:

To be honest I have no clue what rate you should be on. Logic says domestic but you know where we are ...

I know a couple of people with their own transformers, I'll check with them what kind of tariff they're on.

That is also the way I read it.

I have not spoken with the guy who did the survey on June 8, because he spoke only few words English and my Thai is about same level, but he said " I see" and I would think that he didn't switch me to tariff 1.1.2 for my blue eyes.

Even if I had a TOU meter, I would after 12 months be considered for tariff 1.1

Edited by Susco

I've modified the topic title for clarity, let's try this in Electrical, I'm sure several members have their own transformers.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Susco said:

Nobody any idea?

Go higher up to the area office. You will need a good high status Thai person to assist you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Go higher up to the area office. You will need a good high status Thai person to assist you.

The question is not what I can enforce by talking to the right person, but what my status should be.

If it is determined that my set up qualifies for the rate as defined in 1.1.2 , then I will talk with a lawyer, but I'm not gonna spend money on a lawyer without knowing what rate I should get.

7 minutes ago, Susco said:

The question is not what I can enforce by talking to the right person, but what my status should be.

If it is determined that my set up qualifies for the rate as defined in 1.1.2 , then I will talk with a lawyer, but I'm not gonna spend money on a lawyer without knowing what rate I should get.

I don’t suggest a lawyer. I suggest a reasonable status Thai. The PEA can/will brush off a lower status Thai while they will not do the same for someone of equal or higher status to themselves.

if you start getting a lawyer involved then you will be spending more than you can possibly reclaim.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I don’t suggest a lawyer. I suggest a reasonable status Thai. The PEA can/will brush off a lower status Thai while they will not do the same for someone of equal or higher status to themselves.

if you start getting a lawyer involved then you will be spending more than you can possibly reclaim.

Why don't you simply answer the question as stated in the topic title, which is, which service rate should be applied to my setup?

Edited by Susco

Why so persistent over what is less important about a mistaken overcharge  compared  to the  availability of of an electrical supply  at all?

• Confused 2

47 minutes ago, Susco said:

Why don't you simply answer the question as stated in the topic title, which is, which service rate should be applied to my setup?

You put that question  to a  forum who are unable to answer !

Put  your question to whichever  Electrical Authority ultimately must give  you an answer based on recognized and acknowledged information relevant  to  your situation.

Three questions, to determine what your situation is and in which 'schema' you are put.

You said the transformer is yours.

Where is the meter located? Between the transformer and your home or between the transformer and the high voltage line?

Is on your bill 2% added with the total kWh usage?

Can you take a picture of your bill ? (So we can check the 'code')

You can hide your address as we don't need that(It's put twice on the bill..)

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

Three questions, to determine what your situation is and in which 'schema' you are put.

You said the transformer is yours.

Where is the meter located? Between the transformer and your home or between the transformer and the high voltage line?

Is on your bill 2% added with the total kWh usage?

Can you take a picture of your bill ? (So we can check the 'code')

You can hide your address as we don't need that(It's put twice on the bill..)

The meter is located after the transformer

There is no 2% added.

The code has always been 2114, after the new survey it was changed 1125, and it will have to see what the code in the next bill will be.

I believe from looking at the list of rate categories that 1124 should be the correct code for my setup, and if I understand the codes correctly, that would still mean residential with 38.22 service charge.

Is that correct?

Edit: PEA code mentioned top left on the bill is H06101, and hasn't changed after the new survey

Edited by Susco

3 hours ago, Susco said:

The meter is located after the transformer

There is no 2% added.

Then the transformer is not yours (anymore).

PEA can claim the ownership once it is installed on their pole outside your land.

There are equal stories about people buying poles and lost ownership because it was not on their land.

PEA, and other resident, can use the transformer.

Or is the transformer/pole on your land?

Then PEA can not claim ownership but legally can rise the usage with 2% due to the losses in the transformer and it is not measured as the meter is after the transformer.

3 hours ago, Susco said:

The code has always been 2114, after the new survey it was changed 1125, and it will have to see what the code in the next bill will be.

If the code is 2114 then the information you should not get from the picture you posted above which is for group 1 , but the contents are almost the same.

This is the one for group 2 ( Where code 2114 sits)

image.png.71b7493d949ee2465633bd1eb030aab6.png

If the upcoming bill shows 1125 as code then according this list it is the normal rate, and if you do have a TOU meter then that code is not the right one for you. It should be 121x or 122x (depending on who actually owns the transformer)

image.png.fe10ecb80c6f19113f2bf5f3bf81581c.png

Did you get the electricity registered on your name (as individual) / Thai person (individual) or your name (as business with residential , which was a method to put it in foreigner name in that 'shareholder system'. )

The latter mostly put you in group 2.

3 hours ago, Susco said:

I believe from looking at the list of rate categories that 1124 should be the correct code for my setup, and if I understand the codes correctly, that would still mean residential with 38.22 service charge.

Is that correct?

On normal tariff, not getting HV from the PEA and transformer is theirs and not having a TOU meter, then yes.

• Like 1