New laptop computer needed

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I am not in a position to be without a laptop of any kind, if I tamper, I may well end up bricking it! I tried to replace a speaker on a mobile phone once and it had to go into the bin.....everything is packed in too tight.

There is nothing you can do to damage it in this case.

Mobile phone is a completely different proposition, as it is not designed to have user replaceable parts, other than perhaps the battery.

Your laptop is designed for the consumer to be able to replace the HDD and RAM.

I can see that you have got yourself into a funk about it. Convincing yourself of the worst.

You cannot break anything and you can choose to be back to your original configuration at any time within minutes.

Don't make a drama out of it. At least give it a go with instruction. If you feel it's too difficult at any point, you can just stop, no harm done.

But at least give it a go. You'll be surprised at how easy the swap. If you do plumbing, this is a doddle.

Have a go at removing the screws of the hatch. You cannot break anything by doing so. Then at least you are halfway there.

The step after that would be to slide the old one out and to slot the new one in. Takes a couple of minutes even for a novice. 

Don't panic. :)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

+1 Their prices are very competitive and they will make the computer to your specifications so you only get what you need, not redundant stuff that's bundled in with the models from the big manuf

What part of "could be obsolete" do you not understand ? And I'm so glad to know that because you had a successful experience, that automatically means everyone else will obviously enjoy the same s

JIB seem to be a store with a good reputation.  They are in Tukcom - maybe in Central also but not sure about that.    

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

The step after that would be to slide the old one out and to slot the new one in. Takes a couple of minutes even for a novice. 

But then the computer would not have an operating system... 

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

But then the computer would not have an operating system... 

That takes minutes to install when using an SSD. It's not like Windows 7 wherein you had to spend extra time looking for Drivers. It's a relatively quick install. Not usually more than twenty minutes.

You should get started with the preparations of creating the installation media on an 8 GB or more USB Flash drive.

Get started and just get it done. Don't be afraid. Once you line everything up in preparation, you could be using the new faster laptop within 30 minutes.

The only caveat is the graphics Driver which we may need to install manually. But not a big deal.

Everything else, I am 100% certain that you can do. It's not at all technical or complicated. The only issue is that because you haven't done it before, you imagine it an insurmountable task. But it isn't. Each task in itself is simple.

I will just show you each simple task in sequence. So you won't be left alone guessing what to do and you won't be left without a working laptop.