New laptop computer needed

patekatek

51 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Mine is running Windows 10 Pro. Also free

Why don't you fit an SSD to your current and move to Windows 10?

It is a Sony Viao and Sony told me it was incompatible for Win 10 and would blue screen. Else I would have upgraded when it was free to do so. I have 2 thumbs when it comes to that type of work and am only good for plumbing! Unlikely I would get it to work.... pity really, I like the computer. 

On 8/10/2020 at 7:47 AM, jacko45k said:

I heard Win 7 was vulnerable (had exploits) and of course there are no updates now. I am still using a Win 7 machine and it has issues with the Chrome Browser and other issues with Firefox!!! I was looking at new laptops, but 100% SSD usually had limited memory size. There are options where there is limited RAM, some SSD and a disc drive that are sufficient and I would hope the SSD would make it fast to start-up and run. Thanks for repsonding.

Have you looked into Linux? It can be wonderful on old laptop.

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It is a Sony Viao and Sony told me it was incompatible for Win 10 and would blue screen. Else I would have upgraded when it was free to do so. I have 2 thumbs when it comes to that type of work and am only good for plumbing! Unlikely I would get it to work.... pity really, I like the computer. 

Don't throw in the towel just yet. Likelihood is that it has a dedicated compartment for the current HDD. If this is the case, swapping the drive for a solid state drive would be  a doddle. Even for someone with a full hand of thumbs.

But your main issue is whether it will be compatible with Windows 10. Difficult to imagine that it would not. But no harm in doing some research first. So come back with the full model number, in so we can check if anyone had issues with installing Windows 10.

If nothing major, we can go ahead with the upgrade. For as little as 600 baht to get your much loved laptop faster than ever before and up to date, there should be no hesitation.

Worst case scenario, you can install Windows 7 or 8.1 Update 3 to the new SSD and your laptop will still be better that when it was new.

Edited by Eindhoven

5 hours ago, RichCor said:

SONY and VAIO split ways in 2014.

the old sony vaio would probably run Linux

The age isn't an issue. Some have installed Windows 10 successfully on laptops considerably older. Laptops built in 2006. Mine from 2007.

11 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Don't throw in the towel just yet. Likelihood is that it has a dedicated compartment for the current HDD. If this is the case, swapping the drive for a solid state drive would be  a doddle. Even for someone with a full hand of thumbs.

But your main issue is whether it will be compatible with Windows 10. Difficult to imagine that it would not. But no harm in doing some research first. So come back with the full model number, in so we can check if anyone had issues with installing Windows 10.

If nothing major, we can go ahead with the upgrade. For as little as 600 baht to get your much loved laptop faster than ever before and up to date, there should be no hesitation.

Worst case scenario, you can install Windows 7 or 8.1 Update 3 to the new SSD and your laptop will still be better that when it was new.

All very interesting..it is a SVE14A15FHH, and Sony themselves said they tested the upgrade to Win10 and this model failed likely due to the presence of some AMD co-Graphics processor. This all happened when Microsoft were offering the free upgrades. Sony also announced they were not providing drivers for the upgrade.

https://www.sony-asia.com/microsite/support/win10/en/windows10_7.html

I see no value in simply installing SSD and not upgrading to Win10 as this does not address my issues of Win7 being unsecure and having expoits now, and also the problems I have with the Chrome Browser (it gets bogged down running many processes and locks up the laptop or takes ages to shut down), and Firefox unable to play video content. These browsers are also no longer supported with Win7 I suspect.

I would also prefer to have official Windows Software as I do now, then it will update as needed.

It is hardly a new model and maybe time to buy new anyhow.... the HDMI port is screwed from a lightening strike I had too.

One way to see if you'll encounter issues loading Win10 is to do a google search for the model number to see if anyone else has succeeded or encountered issued on a device that doesn't officially supported.

The SONY SVE14A15FHH has little to nothing posted about it. 

• One post said everything seemed to be working except they couldn't adjust the display brightness above 20% no matter what they tried.
  • Several 3rd party sites offering SVE14A15FHH Win10 'drivers' [sketchy]
  • Interestingly, there were 3 Sony Windows 10 support files on the SONY Support page for the SVE14A15FHH
    VAIO improvement uninstaller (Win10 32/64 ...)
    XPERIA Link update (Windows 10 64bit)
       ...not sure WHY they have these available if they don't want you to load Win10 

SONY wasn't even supporting Win8, given what this errata reads

Restrictions on upgrading Windows 8
Below are the limitations in the Windows 8 upgrade. 

I run Win10 Pro Insider Preview on my 2011 Acer Laptop and have encountered only a few issues that MS was able to correct a few pre-releases later.

Usually no harm making a full image backup of your current environment to an external drive (also creating a recover USB) and trying to install Win10 and see what it does.

Windows 10 is still free to download. Here's how to get the upgrade (link)
RIP Windows 7. If you haven't upgraded yet to Windows 10, follow these simple steps.

c|net   Alison DeNisco Rayome   June 8, 2020 7:43 a.m. PT

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

All very interesting..it is a SVE14A15FHH, and Sony themselves said they tested the upgrade to Win10 and this model failed likely due to the presence of some AMD co-Graphics processor. This all happened when Microsoft were offering the free upgrades. Sony also announced they were not providing drivers for the upgrade.

I see no value in simply installing SSD and not upgrading to Win10 as this does not address my issues of Win7 being unsecure and having expoits now, and also the problems I have with the Chrome Browser (it gets bogged down running many processes and locks up the laptop or takes ages to shut down), and Firefox unable to play video content. These browsers are also no longer supported with Win7 I suspect.

I would also prefer to have official Windows Software as I do now, then it will update as needed.

It is hardly a new model and maybe time to buy new anyhow.... the HDMI port is screwed from a lightening strike I had too.

Did you miss the possibility of 8.1 Update 3 which is still supported until January 10, 2023. So there is always that fallback position.

SONY likely tested Windows 10 with a vanilla install. Sometimes you need to customise the install with modified graphics Drivers for problematic devices. You won't be the only person with the issue.

Leshcat did some work on it, so it's likely that their Driver will work with your laptop for when it comes to Windows 10. https://sourceforge.net/projects/leshcatlabs/

SONY's Windows 8 Driver looks to be from 2013, before Windows 10 was released. Leshcat's, 2016, so supports Windows 10. 

It's more just a matter of being able to get to the point of installing the graphics Driver. I think it's worth a punt on an inexpensive SSD and having a go. Won't do any harm as you can always just pop the old HDD back in, to be back where you started or install Windows 8.1 to the SSD, which is still supported by both SONY and Microsoft.

We are talking about as little as 600 baht here for an SSD. So put it in to perspective. Keep current laptop working for 600 baht or spend perhaps 15,000 baht on another.

As an aside, I also have a laptop here running Windows 7 with both Chrome and Firefox without the issues that you mention. But the laptop has an SSD fitted, so that might mitigate the issue.

Either way, certainly worth attempting the upgrade since the device isn't performing optimally anyway. Will only be better than now.

At the moment, whilst the CPU is ok, it's likely bogged down with SONY Bloatware and an interminably slow mechanical storage method.

A clean install to SSD, will improve everything. Let me know if you will go for it and we'll begin the preparations.

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/solid-state-drives-ssd/lite-on/mu-3-series-120gb-3d-nand-sata-iii-ssd-2-5inch-ph6-ce120-l-p049283/ is cheap enough.

If we were sure of everything, I would recommend something better. But that one should be good enough for simple day to day usage.

Edited by Eindhoven

On 8/12/2020 at 1:06 AM, jacko45k said:

Have you decided to do nothing?

2 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

Just be sure to avoid any kind of Mac like a Macbook Air.    I've heard it said "once you try a Mac, you'll never go back".

The reason they say ‘you'll never go back’ is because you will have committed suicide trying to use the things

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Have you decided to do nothing?

I am mulling over the idea of a new laptop to transfer everything into, then perhaps attempting to do something with the old one after.

Mate I appreciate your help and input here, but I feel this is at or beyond my capabilities. 

On 8/15/2020 at 10:19 AM, jacko45k said:

I am mulling over the idea of a new laptop to transfer everything into, then perhaps attempting to do something with the old one after.

Mate I appreciate your help and input here, but I feel this is at or beyond my capabilities. 

Stop it. If I thought it was beyond you, I wouldn't have suggested it.

I dealt with many people who wrote exactly the same...and now they are not only upgrading their own devices, but also those of friends and family. Because it's easy.

It's daunting only because your imagination is scarier than the reality.

Once you are shown how it's done, you'll have a lot more confidence in your own ability. Your laptop is relatively easy because of it's dedicated hatch. You'll be in and out in under ten minutes. It's almost as easy as putting in the last piece in a jigsaw puzzle.

Forget about transferring everything. You can do that later. Since you will be installing the OS on to a completely new drive, all of your old data on the old HDD will be untouched.

Don't make excuses and continue procrastinating. Just do it. You'll be glad that you did.

Order the SSD and let's get started.

8 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Order the SSD and let's get started.

I am not in a position to be without a laptop of any kind, if I tamper, I may well end up bricking it! I tried to replace a speaker on a mobile phone once and it had to go into the bin.....everything is packed in too tight.

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I am not in a position to be without a laptop of any kind, if I tamper, I may well end up bricking it! I tried to replace a speaker on a mobile phone once and it had to go into the bin.....everything is packed in too tight.

There is nothing you can do to damage it in this case.

Mobile phone is a completely different proposition, as it is not designed to have user replaceable parts, other than perhaps the battery.

Your laptop is designed for the consumer to be able to replace the HDD and RAM.

I can see that you have got yourself into a funk about it. Convincing yourself of the worst.

You cannot break anything and you can choose to be back to your original configuration at any time within minutes.

Don't make a drama out of it. At least give it a go with instruction. If you feel it's too difficult at any point, you can just stop, no harm done.

But at least give it a go. You'll be surprised at how easy the swap. If you do plumbing, this is a doddle.

Have a go at removing the screws of the hatch. You cannot break anything by doing so. Then at least you are halfway there.

The step after that would be to slide the old one out and to slot the new one in. Takes a couple of minutes even for a novice. 

Don't panic. :)

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

The step after that would be to slide the old one out and to slot the new one in. Takes a couple of minutes even for a novice. 

But then the computer would not have an operating system... 

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

But then the computer would not have an operating system... 

That takes minutes to install when using an SSD. It's not like Windows 7 wherein you had to spend extra time looking for Drivers. It's a relatively quick install. Not usually more than twenty minutes.

You should get started with the preparations of creating the installation media on an 8 GB or more USB Flash drive.

Get started and just get it done. Don't be afraid. Once you line everything up in preparation, you could be using the new faster laptop within 30 minutes.

The only caveat is the graphics Driver which we may need to install manually. But not a big deal.

Everything else, I am 100% certain that you can do. It's not at all technical or complicated. The only issue is that because you haven't done it before, you imagine it an insurmountable task. But it isn't. Each task in itself is simple.

I will just show you each simple task in sequence. So you won't be left alone guessing what to do and you won't be left without a working laptop.