Where to Guv?! London cabs coming to Bangkok - And the flag fall is only 60 baht!

rooster59

17 hours ago, 473geo said:

Somehow does not quite promote the same Thailand experience as roaring and rattling down the hard shoulder with an enthusiastic driver at the wheel in an ageing Toyota or Tuk tuk

I do enjoy a session of Grand Thai Auto

23 hours ago, anterian said:

Hackney cab

The original Hackney Cab was horse-drawn, but when they went out of fashion because of the introduction of the motor car the taxi companies still referred to their vehicles as Hackney Cabs as displayed on their rear.

22 hours ago, bluesofa said:

'is boat face

Surely you jest.  Do you not mean "boat race"?

Wonder if the drivers are as good as the London drivers and must acquire The Knowledge before being allowed to pickup passengers or even own a taxi as the London drivers do.  They do their work and are not allowed to use GPS, road maps, or any other device, it's all memory.  Neither are they allowed to ask the passenger for directions or any other assistance.  Up to five years to get their taxi-drivers green badge.  Do Thais have that same capability, I wonder?

Here is what may be good information for people who are wondering about the Thais being able to handle the taxis.  In London, after passing The Knowledge Exam and before being awarded the Green Badge a complete police check is done.  If the prospective driver has even the slightest infraction against their record, and that includes a parking or speeding ticket they must account for it in order to be eligible to get the badge.  Also, if they receive any ticket for whatever reason after receiving the badge they automatically lose their badge and can never apply for another one.  Will that ever happen in Thailand?

if a driver 

'nuf sed

Edited by wotsdermatter
added info

23 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Do tell...........

This is the best I can find so far regarding production:-

CEO Somsak Dararattanarojna said all Cabb cars are Thai-made on the capital’s outskirts and were designed to mimic the classic design of London’s TX4 cabs.

On 8/8/2020 at 4:35 PM, asiacurious said:

American tourists go nuts for stuff like this, and I would wager they are more likely to recognize the style of the vehicle as being a London taxi than many Chinese.  And I bet quite a few British tourists would let out a sigh for home and perhaps a slight giggle at seeing these too, and want to take a ride in one and have a photo.

American toursits do like London Black Cabs in London. Not sure about in Thailand though.

Most British would avoid London Taxis in Thailand due to fear of higher fares and simply book a Grab car instead (like many do and book Uber in London).

7 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

The original Hackney Cab was horse-drawn, but when they went out of fashion because of the introduction of the motor car the taxi companies still referred to their vehicles as Hackney Cabs as displayed on their rear.

Surely you jest.  Do you not mean "boat race"?

Wonder if the drivers are as good as the London drivers and must acquire The Knowledge before being allowed to pickup passengers or even own a taxi as the London drivers do.  They do their work and are not allowed to use GPS, road maps, or any other device, it's all memory.  Neither are they allowed to ask the passenger for directions or any other assistance.  Up to five years to get their taxi-drivers green badge.  Do Thais have that same capability, I wonder?

Here is what may be good information for people who are wondering about the Thais being able to handle the taxis.  In London, after passing The Knowledge Exam and before being awarded the Green Badge a complete police check is done.  If the prospective driver has even the slightest infraction against their record, and that includes a parking or speeding ticket they must account for it in order to be eligible to get the badge.  Also, if they receive any ticket for whatever reason after receiving the badge they automatically lose their badge and can never apply for another one.  Will that ever happen in Thailand?

if a driver 

'nuf sed

another thing about the london " black cab " is it must be able to accomadate a wheelchair bound passenger,don,t know how you would do that in a uber prius,so when the black cab becomes extinct that,ll snooker all the former wheelchair users.

6 minutes ago, kingdong said:

another thing about the london " black cab " is it must be able to accomadate a wheelchair bound passenger,don,t know how you would do that in a uber prius,so when the black cab becomes extinct that,ll snooker all the former wheelchair users.

That law is no longer applicable

21 hours ago, DaftToPutRealName said:

A bit sensitive there - where are you from, again? Back from a recent no baht tour, or just adding to the complaining that you're complaining about?

I'm not from China if that's what you're curious about.  ????  I've been lucky enough to have lived in quite a number of places on this little blue ball we call home.  I suppose I can be a bit sensitive when it comes to the cultural insensitivity that is sometimes on display in these forums.  Often they are mild, appearing as seemingly harmless stereotypes such as the comment I replied to, though alarmingly more frequently there is open hostility to anyone who is seen as other.

When we talk of expats in Thailand, most of us probably default to the mental image of Westerners (aka from Europe, the Americas, Austrailia... ).  I'm guilty of that too sometimes.  But there are likely more expats from other parts of Asia (East, Southeast, Central...) than from the "west", not to mention all the expats from other parts of the world.  And all expats, regardless of where we are from, are others with our funny behaviors that can easily be stereotyped and criticized.

Something I never quite understand on these forums is why so many (not all, hopefully not a majority, but still quite a few) appear to be critical of the Thailand's relationship to China.  After all, China and Thailand (and the rest of Southeast Asia) share a lot of history and culture.  This should be pretty well known to anyone who has lived here long enough, but one doesn't often get that sense from reading some of the things people post in the forums.

8 hours ago, asiacurious said:

I'm not from China if that's what you're curious about.  ????  I've been lucky enough to have lived in quite a number of places on this little blue ball we call home.  I suppose I can be a bit sensitive when it comes to the cultural insensitivity that is sometimes on display in these forums.  Often they are mild, appearing as seemingly harmless stereotypes such as the comment I replied to, though alarmingly more frequently there is open hostility to anyone who is seen as other.

When we talk of expats in Thailand, most of us probably default to the mental image of Westerners (aka from Europe, the Americas, Austrailia... ).  I'm guilty of that too sometimes.  But there are likely more expats from other parts of Asia (East, Southeast, Central...) than from the "west", not to mention all the expats from other parts of the world.  And all expats, regardless of where we are from, are others with our funny behaviors that can easily be stereotyped and criticized.

Something I never quite understand on these forums is why so many (not all, hopefully not a majority, but still quite a few) appear to be critical of the Thailand's relationship to China.  After all, China and Thailand (and the rest of Southeast Asia) share a lot of history and culture.  This should be pretty well known to anyone who has lived here long enough, but one doesn't often get that sense from reading some of the things people post in the forums.

japan had a lot of history with thailand as well,during ww 2.

20 hours ago, actonion said:

Are they going to pay Import tax on these cabs

Why would they?  They're made in Thailand.  In cooperation with Geely out of China.  Of course, it could be like those buses, where they're made in China and someone attaches the hood ornament in their Thai factory...

I'm more curious whether they pay a licensing fee for for the design.  Or is it a blatant rip-off?  (Edit:  of course, I don't completely discount the possibility that Geely has bought the company that makes the London Taxis)

Personally, I think it's a great idea, as long as they can maintain the quality of the service.  I'd gladly seek out a better taxi and pay more to stay out of a clapped out Vios with a bad clutch and squeaky brakes.  And I'm pretty cheap...

Edited by impulse