What are the chances of getting a discretionary 30 day extension based on "waiting to start work" with evidence from your employer?

So, I guess if the government is not going to make any changes to the visa rules to allow people who are in Thailand waiting to start work to move from expired tourist visa/amnesty to a Non-B (even for teachers), people in this situation, with all the qualifications, documents, desired skills and a position waiting for them, are facing the fact that they are going to have to leave Thailand before the 26th September.  (Albeit with the opportunity to return, accomplishing a round the world, several month long, thousands of dollars in cost, border bounce.)

Is there any chance that if you rock up to immigration with a letter from your prospective employer and some sort of form and a fee, that they will allow you to have a 30 day extension to stay in the country and wait until you can do a border bounce and get onto a non-B?  And is this something that they might do month after month until things return to normal?

I'm getting a letter from my university soon stating that they wish to hire me as a teacher, and I plan to go to Labour with it to see if they can help me sorting this out in any way. I have tried everything already (except for an agent & marriage). CW already refused to process a non b from an expired/under amnesty TR visa, and my embassy advised me to come back to Europe as they are not writing letters.

I think you'll need to discover this by yourself. No one here will be able to give you an answer. It will depend a lot on the IO, the influence of your prospective company..

Good luck!!

Edited by ANDREW999
  • Sad 1

With the right documentation from the labour department, you have a small (not great) chance. If all you have is a letter from your employer, your chances are zero. If you can afford it, an agent may be able to help.

7 minutes ago, BritTim said:

With the right documentation from the labour department, you have a small (not great) chance. If all you have is a letter from your employer, your chances are zero. If you can afford it, an agent may be able to help.

Do you think I can get the normal work visa documents from my employer and use an agent to get a non-B and go on to get a work permit?  Or will that involve too many people and is that too direct?  Maybe only something like a non-O is an option with an agent?

Edited by BangkokReady

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

So, I guess if the government is not going to make any changes to the visa rules to allow people who are in Thailand waiting to start work to move from expired tourist visa/amnesty to a Non-B (even for teachers)

This is already possible, no change to any rules required.

The problem is that immigration refuses to do it unless they get paid through an agent.

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

Is there any chance that if you rock up to immigration with a letter from your prospective employer and some sort of form and a fee, that they will allow you to have a 30 day extension to stay in the country and wait until you can do a border bounce and get onto a non-B?  And is this something that they might do month after month until things return to normal?

There is zero chance for this to happen.

26 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This is already possible, no change to any rules required.

The problem is that immigration refuses to do it unless they get paid through an agent.

How can I facilitate this?  My agency is incredibly lazy and apathetic and the only agent visas I hear of are volunteer visas.

If an agent has a contact at an immigration office in the provinces, then is that going to allow me to get the correct documents for working in Bangkok?  Is there a way to get an agent that will process everything exactly as I would do normally at CW with all supporting documents, but with a fee to get it done?  Presumably so everything is more or less above board and I can get one year as well as the work permit, do normal 90 day reports, etc.?

Sorry for all the questions, but I know very little about this.

Edited by BangkokReady

31 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Do you think I can get the normal work visa documents from my employer and use an agent to get a non-B and go on to get a work permit?  Or will that involve too many people and is that too direct?  Maybe only something like a non-O is an option with an agent?

Conversion from a tourist entry to a Non B is possible in principle with the correct documentation. However, most immigration offices are blocking that kind of conversion when you have been on the automatic extension. There is a pretty good chance that an agent can overcome the reluctance of the immigration office to process your application ... for a price. It is a grey area with no clear rules as to what is allowed under the automatic extension. The agent will tend to tip the scales in your favour.