Thai Language ED Visa WITHOUT leaving the country?

It is possible to apply for a Thai ED Visa in Phuket up until Sept 11, for an application fee of 15K baht.  I did it.  The school cutoff date is Aug 31.  It was a good deal too... under 50K all-in for the tuition, the application fee, and all 3 renewals (5K each).  But the best part is, the schooling is private 1 on 1 teaching in class or via Zoom!  So, it was a no-brainer for me because the other schools were offering in person classes for about the same amount; I'd rather have private classes on Zoom, avoid driving in the rain and sun, avoid Covid when it returns, learn at my own pace, and have the ability to change the schedule or miss a class without falling behind. 

Edited by Freedom44

8 minutes ago, Freedom44 said:

It was possible to apply for a Thai ED Visa in Phuket up until July 27, for an application fee of 15K baht.  I did it.  It was a good deal too... under 50K all-in for the tuition, the application fee, and all 3 renewals (5K each).  But the best part is, the schooling is private 1 on 1 teaching in class or via Zoom!  So, it was a no-brainer for me because the other schools were offering in person classes for about the same amount; I'd rather have private classes on Zoom, avoid driving in the rain and sun, avoid Covid when it returns, learn at my own pace, and have the ability to change the schedule or miss a class without falling behind. 

It will be interesting come March if you are actually able to get your last 2 extensions.  Up until the end of July, all schools I contacted were telling me I could extend 3 times.  But then around the end of July something changed and they all started telling me about the one year from initial entry rule.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Freedom44 said:

It was possible to apply for a Thai ED Visa in Phuket up until July 27, for an application fee of 15K baht.  I did it.  It was a good deal too... under 50K all-in for the tuition, the application fee, and all 3 renewals (5K each).  But the best part is, the schooling is private 1 on 1 teaching in class or via Zoom!  So, it was a no-brainer for me because the other schools were offering in person classes for about the same amount; I'd rather have private classes on Zoom, avoid driving in the rain and sun, avoid Covid when it returns, learn at my own pace, and have the ability to change the schedule or miss a class without falling behind. 

I paid 26k plus 3 x 1900 baht for the 90 day extensions

2 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Good for you.  I couldn't find that kind of deal in Phuket, despite looking everywhere.  Plus I really want the online private classes due to Covid and efficiency.

1 hour ago, darrendsd said:

I think the conversion fee alone (tourist to ED) is 15k+ (as high as 36k). Going to be a lot cheaper if you were able to leave Thailand and get it stamped on entry.

1 hour ago, jacob29 said:

I think the conversion fee alone (tourist to ED) is 15k+ (as high as 36k). Going to be a lot cheaper if you were able to leave Thailand and get it stamped on entry.

Always assuming, of course, the consulate give you the Non Ed visa. There were some horror stories about visa applications being denied, in some cases leaving people with no good alternatives.

• Like 1

Isn't that part of the 26K the school charged him or is it in addition to it?

Edited by audaciousnomad

9 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

What were they denied for?

Apparently, the consular officials believed the schools involved were just visa mills, and simply refused to play ball. There was nothing wrong in principle with the paperwork. It was quite a shock when this started happening.

Sure, of course it's cheaper to leave, but getting back in is the problem.  Covid has made that very difficult if not impossible now.  I'll pay the 15K fee and avoid that stress.

37 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Isn't that part of the 26K the school charged him or is it in addition to it?

I believe that 26k is quoting the regular price for an ED visa stamped in on arrival. Otherwise the tuition fee would be at most 11k, which can't be right.

19 minutes ago, Freedom44 said:

Sure, of course it's cheaper to leave, but getting back in is the problem.  Covid has made that very difficult if not impossible now.  I'll pay the 15K fee and avoid that stress.

Yes I was just pointing out the quoted fee wasn't an apples to apples comparison, one allowed conversion (in Phuket), the other almost certainly didn't include a conversion. I don't have an authoritative source for the conversion fee, but I've seen multiple sources, and the lowest was 15k (for the conversion alone, tuition fees entirely separate).

Edited by jacob29

27 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Yes. I may have to do this. Following this.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Language-School/Pro-Language-Pattaya-336291853140868/

If you wish to request to change to a NON-ED Visa WITHOUT leaving Thailand. You MUST apply with Pro Language School Pattaya by ???? the 17th of August 2020.

We can ONLY offer the visa to foreigners who are holding 30 day visa on arrival, 60 day tourist and 90 day tourist visas, which have expired after 26th March 2020, have no OVERSTAY stamp and NO 7 day extension

That second part is a little amusing, as it disqualifies me. I tried to stay legal, got an extension after the amnesty date (but before it was announced), which has turned me into an undesirable :). Had I just left it to chance and gone the overstay route (only overstaying days after 26-Mar, but never visiting immigration), I would be golden.

Edited by jacob29
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, jacob29 said:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Language-School/Pro-Language-Pattaya-336291853140868/

That second part is a little amusing, as it disqualifies me. I tried to stay legal, got an extension after the amnesty date (but before it was announced), which has turned me into an undesirable :). Had I just left it to chance and gone the overstay route (only overstaying days after 26-Mar, but never visiting immigration), I would be golden.

Wow that is soon. I need a school in Bangkok. Oh wait the school offers online courses too, but can they sort visa out for people in BKK?

Edited by vermin on arrival

8 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

There is a vlogger in Pattaya who has secured an ED visa until March 2021, Tommyland, send a message to him, he might be able to give you some advice.

So since 6 months of amnesty given only 6 extra months on the visa? Or it starts at the end of your last valid stamp to Thailand? It had been stated that all new visas and extensions start on Sept. 27.

4 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

What was the cost all in?

Still waiting for it. I made clear i really want to study thai when they offered me the Pattaya school while Im in Bangkok. 

They offer online and offline classes, but still not clear about the cost

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vermin on arrival said:

So since 6 months of amnesty given only 6 extra months on the visa? Or it starts at the end of your last valid stamp to Thailand? It had been stated that all new visas and extensions start on Sept. 27.

I presume from 27/09, he mentioned it in his latest video. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp3SQp-gytNc4cQ5iqrZv5Q

1 hour ago, tribalfusion001 said:

I presume from 27/09, he mentioned it in his latest video. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp3SQp-gytNc4cQ5iqrZv5Q

In that video he says that his student visa is good until March 3 of next year.

For anyone interested, here is video of him traveling from Vietnam to Thailand on March 3.  So his ED visa is only valid until his 1-year entry date.  

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The amnesty would not change when your allowed 1 year of totals stay ends when attending a informal school.

In that case the volunteer visa option would be preferable and about the same price. The ed visa route is only worth it if you really do want to study Thai.

3 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

In that case the volunteer visa option would be preferable and about the same price. The ed visa route is only worth it if you really do want to study Thai.

ED visa seems entirely legit, I'd be unconcerned about having issues later. The medical or volunteer visa, on the other hand.. I can imagine some awkwardness if IO decides to question you on it.

6 hours ago, Caldera said:

That's the official fee for a non-immigrant visa. What is being discussed here is the "agent-enabled" non-immigrant visa application to study at an informal school for those on tourist entries that are now on automatic extension ("amnesty"). There's quite a premium attached to this premium service.

Thanks. So should we assume that most quotations that these schools give us or post on their website do not include the 15K(or more) "special handling" fee for in-country conversion, and we should be budgeting with that additional amount in mind?

42 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Thanks. So should we assume that most quotations that these schools give us or post on their website do not include the 15K(or more) "special handling" fee for in-country conversion, and we should be budgeting with that additional amount in mind?

You'd have to speak to them directly. I've spoken to an agent who is quoting 13,000 to the school (no classes) and the same to immigration and that's the cheapest I've seen. If you actually want lessons then you'll be paying considerably more.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

You'd have to speak to them directly. I've spoken to an agent who is quoting 13,000 to the school (no classes) and the same to immigration and that's the cheapest I've seen. If you actually want lessons then you'll be paying considerably more.

No classes? Wouldn't they verify your attendance somehow?

43 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Wow. Not cheap. Of course, you can see the financial incentive in immigration not allowing more amnesties or a more direct way to do short term extensions in country during this crisis as they do in Vietnam. The tough talk may reflect their beliefs, but it also will scare people into the hands of their partners, the agents.