Thai Language ED Visa WITHOUT leaving the country?

3 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

In that case the volunteer visa option would be preferable and about the same price. The ed visa route is only worth it if you really do want to study Thai.

Except with a volunteer visa you are not actually using the visa for its intended purpose and this is likely illegal.  What if the IO that issued your visa bets busted for improperly issuing visas?  What if you get questioned about your volunteer work by a random immigration officer?

7 hours ago, Phillip9 said:

Except with a volunteer visa you are not actually using the visa for its intended purpose and this is likely illegal.  What if the IO that issued your visa bets busted for improperly issuing visas?  What if you get questioned about your volunteer work by a random immigration officer?

Given the price I'm sure money is getting kicked all the way to the top so there's no real risk.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, ANDREW999 said:

I can confirm that ed visa i granted for 1 year since your entry stamp. The school i contacted told me I can only get it for 3 months (my entry stamp is in December)

Odd , What is the reason for that . logically it should start when your current visa expires .

When did your permission to stay expire ?

Edited by CorpusChristie

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

Odd , What is the reason for that . logically it should start when your current visa expires .

When did your permission to stay expire ?

It starts when you get inside thailand. My permission to stay expired in april 21st. But they say they can it do for 3 months (i arrived to thailand in december 2019)

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, ANDREW999 said:

It starts when you get inside thailand. My permission to stay expired in april 21st. But they say they can it do for 3 months (i arrived to thailand in december 2019)

On what visa did you enter LOS?

Are you certain you're not actually getting an initial 3-month ED which can be further extended?

40 minutes ago, Fromas said:

On what visa did you enter LOS?

Are you certain you're not actually getting an initial 3-month ED which can be further extended?

I entered LOS with a 60 days tourist visa.

Well, that's what Pro Language school told me (I spoke with Pattaya, Bkk and CM ones). They can process a 12 month ed visa in CM branch (dont ask me how), but you need to do 90 days report there, and have residence there. They suggested me to rent some place there while I live in Bangkok, for the 90 days report. In Pattaya they can only arrange it until the end of my year in Thailand.

Edited by ANDREW999

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

Does anyone know the situation with volunteer /retirement visas , do they begin on the date of application or when you entered Thailand (If one were to apply for them now ) ?

When a visa is issued by immigration within Thailand, the initial 90-day permission to stay starts on the date the visa is issued. This is typically one to two weeks following the application.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BritTim said:

When a visa is issued by immigration within Thailand, the initial 90-day permission to stay starts on the date the visa is issued. This is typically one to two weeks following the application.

How come some people applying for  Ed Visas are getting a permission to stay beginning on the day they entered Thailand ?

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

This, I believe, is a misunderstanding. The converted permission to stay begins on the date of issue of the visa. However, there is a special rule that you can only stay for one year from entry into the country when receiving a permission to stay based on study at a non-formal school. The conversion from a tourist entry to a non immigrant entry does not override that rule. If the conversion is for study at a formal school (typically, a university) that restriction does not apply.

Is there any similar rule in regards to retirement visas ?

On 8/9/2020 at 10:14 AM, Freedom44 said:

It is possible to apply for a Thai ED Visa in Phuket up until Sept 11, for an application fee of 15K baht.  I did it.  The school cutoff date is Aug 31.  It was a good deal too... under 50K all-in for the tuition, the application fee, and all 3 renewals (5K each).  But the best part is, the schooling is private 1 on 1 teaching in class or via Zoom!  So, it was a no-brainer for me because the other schools were offering in person classes for about the same amount; I'd rather have private classes on Zoom, avoid driving in the rain and sun, avoid Covid when it returns, learn at my own pace, and have the ability to change the schedule or miss a class without falling behind. 

Hi @Freedom44  thanks for the input!  So they allowed an ED Visa for your course via ZOOM?  That's great!   Do you have to reside in Phuket to register at the school? Or can I live anywhere in Thailand?  Reason I ask, is I find some schools will need TM30 with a residence in the same city in order to apply for the visa. 

27 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Hi @Freedom44  thanks for the input!  So they allowed an ED Visa for your course via ZOOM?  That's great!   Do you have to reside in Phuket to register at the school? Or can I live anywhere in Thailand?  Reason I ask, is I find some schools will need TM30 with a residence in the same city in order to apply for the visa. 

I share you what i got from Pro Language school Pattaya and CM branches regarding to residence where you study.

Pattaya (they can grt it me ed visa for 3 months only):

Actually immigration need it, they need lease agrrement ,copy of id card of the house owner and copy of the house registration (blue-book)
if you don't want to live in Pattaya we have 1000 charge for those require documents and you no need to rent apartment in Pattaya

CM (they assure they can get 12 months ed visa):

You can remaining living in Bangkok but can you come to chiang mai every 90days to do the visa extension and residence report?

Also rent the residence in chiang mai because we need the documents to make the paperwork 

23 minutes ago, ANDREW999 said:

I share you what i got from Pro Language school Pattaya and CM branches regarding to residence where you study.

Pattaya (they can grt it me ed visa for 3 months only):

Actually immigration need it, they need lease agrrement ,copy of id card of the house owner and copy of the house registration (blue-book)
if you don't want to live in Pattaya we have 1000 charge for those require documents and you no need to rent apartment in Pattaya

CM (they assure they can get 12 months ed visa):

You can remaining living in Bangkok but can you come to chiang mai every 90days to do the visa extension and residence report?

Also rent the residence in chiang mai because we need the documents to make the paperwork 

Rent in Chiang Mai....that's going to be an expensive route if you have to pay 2 rents. 

3 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Rent in Chiang Mai....that's going to be an expensive route if you have to pay 2 rents. 

Yes. All my papers ready for a non b since March, and a gig in a University since july, and suddenly i have to pay two rents to stay in thailand as a student. 

3 minutes ago, ANDREW999 said:

Yes. All my papers ready for a non b since March, and a gig in a University since july, and suddenly i have to pay two rents to stay in thailand as a student. 

Sorry to hear that. You might have to go for the 3-month and pray the borders open soon. ????

Edited by audaciousnomad
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Sorry to hear that. You might have to go for the 3-month and pray the borders open soon. ????

Thanks for the empathy :). We are now planning to marry with my long time thai gf. We just didnt want to do it this way. And im still not sure everything will be ready on time so i can apply for a 60days permission to visit her, and then be able to change to non b without leaving the country. Maybe i should get this 3 months ed visa in case something goes wrong during the process

Edited by ANDREW999

2 minutes ago, ANDREW999 said:

Thanks for the empathy :). We are now planning to marry with my long time thai gf. We just didnt want to do it this way. And im still not sure evetything will be ready on time so i can apply for a 60days permission to visit, and then be able to change to non b without leaving the country. Maybe i should get this 3 months ed visa in case someone goes wrong in the process

Pattaya didn't require you to provide a local rental contract? So you could keep living in Bangkok and just study with them online?

4 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Pattaya didn't require you to provide a local rental contract? So you could keep living in Bangkok and just study with them online?

Pattaya branch told me this:

Actually immigration need it, they need lease agrrement ,copy of id card of the house owner and copy of the house registration (blue-book)
if you don't want to live in Pattaya we have 1000 charge for those require documents and you no need to rent apartment in Pattaya.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ANDREW999 said:

Pattaya branch told me this:

Actually immigration need it, they need lease agrrement ,copy of id card of the house owner and copy of the house registration (blue-book)
if you don't want to live in Pattaya we have 1000 charge for those require documents and you no need to rent apartment in Pattaya.

Oh I see, you mentioned that in the other post.  I need to slow down my reading!  LOL

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ANDREW999 said:

25k for ed visa in Pattaya branch. For 3 months, which is actually the max i can legally get since my entry stamp is from december

For 3 months maybe a medical visa is better. I think it gives you 3 months and the fee with agent is 15. Also if I can find the thread it can be done in 2 weeks.

Does anyone know anything more about medical extensions? Is 20k the going price through and agent? Can you get it more than once? How long does it take to do it? 3 weeks as it says here? Says edu starts at date of entry mine would give just 4 months and cost way more since I came in at Jan 30. Seems a waste for me. Or would a retirement from agent work better since I am 56. With Thailand keeping the border closed through 2020 and part of 2021, this will be a <deleted> show in terms of visa options. Forcing us all to agents, seems like real bs. Why don't they just let us apply and pay them for a special covid extension while this situation with border closures go on? I am happy to pay the government to stay here until I can get home to Taiwan.

Maybe I need to start a new thread on 90 day medical extensions. EDU is a bad option for me with the way they work the dates.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, vermin on arrival said:

Does anyone know anything more about medical extensions? Is 20k the going price through and agent? Can you get it more than once? How long does it take to do it? 3 weeks as it says here? Says edu starts at date of entry mine would give just 4 months and cost way more since I came in at Jan 30. Seems a waste for me. Or would a retirement from agent work better since I am 56. With Thailand keeping the border closed through 2020 and part of 2021, this will be a <deleted> show in terms of visa options. Forcing us all to agents, seems like real bs. Why don't they just let us apply and pay them for a special covid extension while this situation with border closures go on? I am happy to pay the government to stay here until I can get home to Taiwan.

Maybe I need to start a new thread on 90 day medical extensions. EDU is a bad option for me with the way they work the dates.

Ed visa with real online/offline classes sounds easier to justify. Actually, I really want to learn thai. 1 year course sounded great to me, for real. I mean, I had an appendix surgery in thailand a few weeks ago, but I think im already able to take a flight. My guts are not that big as to carry a passport with a volunteer or medical visa stamped on it. I'd rather go back to spain.

Money is not the biggest issue for me. Im just scared of being in the same situation after 3 months. I just need to get the d*mn non b and wp already ????

Edited by ANDREW999
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ANDREW999 said:

Ed visa with real online/offline classes sounds easier to justify. Actually, I really want to learn thai. 1 year course sounded great to me, for real. I mean, I had an appendix surgery in thailand a few weeks ago, but I think im already able to take a flight. My guts are not that big as to carry a passport with a volunteer or medical visa stamped on it. I'd rather go back to spain.

Money is not the biggest issue for me. Im just scared of being in the same situation after 3 months. I just need to get the d*mn non b and wp already ????

Since you go through an agent, I believe it doesn't need to be justified. For me my thai is ok, I just need a reasonably priced way to stay here while trying to get back to Taiwan. 3 months may work until end of Dec and edu would only give me until end of Jan. @DrJack54 You laughed at my post. Please enlighten me. I am trying to figure out a way to stay here that doesn't break the bank until Taiwan opens up. Any advice you may give would be hepful and you are a visa guru. Right now my life is a wreck and constructive input would be appreciated. If you think that option is bad for me please give me a better option.

Or was my desire to have a hassle free way to extend the funny part?

Edited by vermin on arrival