Death question please

Staci

My husband lived in Thailand, I lived in Uk

We never divorced, or legally separated and were still in contact tried to get him to come home many times.. as he always said he will return.

he passed away, the funeral is being done by Thai so he’s being cremated.

i cannot get over to sort things out. No assets except bank account only I forgot which one it is.

as we are still legally married and now I am a widow, what do I need to do, I do not think there was much money in account, but I am concerned if the Thai family can do anything to get access? We had grandchildren in Thailand.

also, how do I get copies of death certificates as things need to be cleared up in the U.K., obviously U.K. citizen.

in the end I did not get on with daughter in law.. but she got my husband round her little finger.. 

he was on a visa to stay there.

last thing I want to do is sound like I am money grabbing it’s not the case.. but law is, it’s mine, as there is no Will.

thank you

• Sad 1

If your husband died intestate (with no will or other record of final wishes), then it's up to you to discover what real assets (bank account balances vs debts, insurance policies, real estate holdings, etc) he may have held in the different countries which he resided over his later life.

Technically, if he was on a long-stay Visa/Extension he would have a required bank balance of 800,000 thb, but if he didn't own any real estate, like a condo, then he may have used a 'visa agent' a 'fee' to help secure his yearly extension without maintaining the actual required fund balance.

As already mentioned, unless he 'owned' a condo it's unlikely he had much beyond the minor funds he was receiving from 'home' on a regular basis to continue a simple life here in Thailand.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Staci said:

[...] he passed away, the funeral is being done by Thai so he’s being cremated. [...]

I do not think there was much money in account, but I am concerned if the Thai family can do anything to get access? We had grandchildren in Thailand.

also, how do I get copies of death certificates as things need to be cleared up in the U.K., obviously U.K. citizen.

in the end I did not get on with daughter in law.. but she got my husband round her little finger.. 

he was on a visa to stay there.

last thing I want to do is sound like I am money grabbing it’s not the case.. but law is, it’s mine, as there is no Will.

thank you

If he is being cremated in Thailand then he made arrangements to do so, otherwise the UK Embassy would have been involved to repatriate the body/remains. So 'some' pre-arrangements are in play even if you are not aware of there being a Will. 

Interesting you state there are grandchildren and a daughter-in-law, but no mention of a son (the grandchildren's father).

If there is a bank account there also should have been an option to say what occurs with the funds upon notification of death.

See recent ThaiVisa member post on the issue:

On death in Thailand - Bank accounts
By Speedo1968, May 30 in Jobs, economy, banking, business, investments

I have read in other places online that if previous arrangements of fund dispersal were not made with the bank prior to death that "the family members or other heirs will normally need a court order from a Thai court to recover real estate assets or bank account funds. Thailand law allows for inheritance pursuant to valid wills as well as statutory intestate inheritance without a will."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So is your son still there with his thai wife then ? Why can't he help ? 

My son and his ex never made the marriage official they just had a ceremony that’s it 

they split up.. he lives between Japan and uk

He is demanding I give the money to all grandchildren... I have two other children .. and he’s not being very nice about it 

if my husband wanted his own kids to have money he would of done a will ..

5 hours ago, MisterTee said:

Once you get the legal documents relating to your late husbands death, then cut your losses.

The Thai legal system is a minefield strewn with banana-peels for the unwary.

The amount of money you could expect to recover wouldn't be worth the hassle.

So, how would the ex get the money ..  they only had Buddhist ceremony never made legal .. so she’s just the mother of grandchildren 

5 hours ago, timendres said:

If the money is not that substantial, you might consider just offering it to the family here to offset the costs of the funeral. Then, as you have done them that favor, ask the family here to assist with getting the documents that you need, as I am sure it will be much simpler for them to accomplish. It is tough times for people in Thailand, as it is everywhere these days, so the "gift" would mean a lot.

His ex is not Brassic she has her own company and doing well..

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, RichCor said:

If he is being cremated in Thailand then he made arrangements to do so, otherwise the UK Embassy would have been involved to repatriate the body/remains. So 'some' pre-arrangements are in play even if you are not aware of there being a Will. 

Interesting you state there are grandchildren and a daughter-in-law, but no mention of a son (the grandchildren's father).

If there is a bank account there also should have been an option to say what occurs with the funds upon notification of death.

See recent ThaiVisa member post on the issue:

On death in Thailand - Bank accounts
By Speedo1968, May 30 in Jobs, economy, banking, business, investments

I have read in other places online that if previous arrangements of fund dispersal were not made with the bank prior to death that "the family members or other heirs will normally need a court order from a Thai court to recover real estate assets or bank account funds. Thailand law allows for inheritance pursuant to valid wills as well as statutory intestate inheritance without a will."

Thank you will check link

he left her they only had buddist ceremony ..so not legally married 

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

So is your son still there with his thai wife then ? Why can't he help ? 

She’s not his wife, just done Buddhist ceremony.. 

he left her 2015 I believe .. so she has no legal right to anything 

If there is no Thai will -then  probate can only be instigated by his Thai wife . -only, of course ,if he is legally married. You state that  he was not legally married.

You will need a Thai death certificate officially translated into English if there is a need to instigate probate at the UK end. You may need one for other purposes.

If that process is inappropriate then all that is left will be his assets in Thailand -i.e money in that bank.

What will happen to that ?  

The Thai bank will keep it .

End of story!

51 minutes ago, stewartthailand said:

Email the British Embassy in Bangkok. They are very helpful. Body cannot be released for cremation without death certificate from town hall and letter of release from British Embassy.They should only release to next of kin Or executor. You can also contact the Foreign and Commonwealth off ice in U.K. who are also involved in overseas deaths of U.K. citizen’s.

you May well have widow’s pension rights on the U.K. so important to obtain death certificate a d any bank details to identify source of funds.

good luck

I agree it is only a direct family member that can get the body released, no matter how long they have been a partner, so your direct family member who got the body released has the death cert.

This is a helpful topic.  I'm legally divorced from my American wife and have a will in the US providing for my daughter and grandchildren living there.  I live alone in Thailand but until now have not thought that a Thai will is necessary.  I have no outstanding financial obligations here but do have two bank accounts, both declared to the US Dept. of the Treasury and to the IRs each year.  All income is earned in the US- dividends, interest and capital gains.

It sounds to me that he has already been cremated. Maybe there was a will. Who paid for the funeral ? Otherwise, I’m sure  the embassy can advise you concerning the death certificate and any money in the bank. If you don’t go to Thailand with all the necessary documents you won’t get any money from the bank. Probably not worth the worry.

• Like 1

Why are you so worried about any money your ex husband may have?

Now that he has died,you tell the world that you arent divorced..

It sounds very devious to me..

The legal work will be very expensive.

You seem to be very hungry for his money..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry to hear of your husbands passing I’m not an expert but as you are still married my understanding that anything he had in the U.K. property , bank accounts would go to you as you are his wife . I would contact the British Embassy in Bangkok and ask for advice and assistance I have to presume that as you are his wife you would of had to give permission for his cremation in Thailand . Regarding items or bank account in Thailand I would assume you could have a claim unless he made a Thai Will which should be in English and Thai my understanding is that this will only effects asserts in Thailand and not the U.K.

• Like 1