would you move to Thailand?

Clive

Good Morning.
I am after a little advice please
I lived in Thailand about 14 years ago, and it has always been my dream to retire there. Im now 53 and will take an early retirement in 2 years time.
I was wondering if you would recommend retiring in Thailand now but scouring the internet there seem to be so many negative comments regarding visa/ Thai people etc. with coronavirus thats about all I can do at the moment.
Has Thailand changed so drastically in a negative way over the years or is it still a wonderful beautiful place to live?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Just to add balance OP, I would do none of the things listed above by BritManToo.  I told you; you will not get any useful information here. We on TVF constantly spend our time contradicting each other and rubbishing each other's opinions. After all, that's what forums are for.   It's quite fun, but not very informative. 

Totally agreed with Pilotman.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Yes, so far Thailand is better than other choices. Easy to travel to other countries in Asia.

Problem is you need decent money as monthly income.

My problem is I cannot stay more than 3 month in any country--bored.

Thank you for you replies so far.
I love Thai food and that is the main attraction for me as well as the weather. Although Im not religious I like to see the temples as for me it gives the country the foreign Asian aspect. There are many places in S/E Asia that have the weather, the girls etc but not the culture that Thailand has to offer.
I suppose as I get older I have to look at what life will be like for me in say 20 or 30 years time regarding healthcare or ability to stay in the country. I have a friend that loves the phillipines but he doesn't like asian food as I do but I don't think that Id be happy there as the food is not so good generally.
Seriously considering Cambodia or Vietnam if Thailand becomes to difficult to live

12 minutes ago, 473geo said:

As you can see by this thread if you can put up with occasional pantomime antics life will be ok

Not always as after 22 years of setting up a home here and the last 5 years since I retired I've been told to leave Thailand before the 26th September because I've used my 60 day extension which ran out just after the borders closed,I have all the amnesty stamps but can't get the year extension for marriage because my visa has expired.I've now got the money in the bank and an embassy letter for a last ditched attempt if that fails I will have to just walk away from it all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Come over and scope it out...talk with local expats in the community you are considering to retire...the answer will be basically are you willing to put up with Thai immigration hassles and corruption in order to have unobstructed access to some world class...wait for it!  Food!  ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1