would you move to Thailand?

Clive

OK I approach this as a UK national.

I think Thailand should be approached as an extended holiday and not retirement. Go at retirement, enjoy it and partake of what you like and enjoy. Then in much older age, go back home to your own country. and don't sell your house if you own it - rent it out. Plan ahead, plan a plan B, have an escape route. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bramley said:

It's just a bunch of bitter twisted expats getting older and more bitter. They complain about everything, but they don't leave. Ignore.

Yes, Thailand has always been a nice place to live. Are you a nice person that should also be a question ask in relation to this question of whether Thailand is still a nice place to live.

In fact in many countries life will be wonderful if you have lots of money. I live for a year in Japan, oh, how I wish I have money to live there. I wouldn't say it's perfect country, but the street foods are so clean, so delicious. And you only  have to speak ordinary conversational level japanese you will find them very helpful. I don't care if the japanese are xenophobic that's their problem. I was there to enjoy myself not dealing with social problems they have. Isn't it right?

I really believe that it all boils down to money. Very much so I must say.

The concierge at my condominium always smiles when he sees me. Because when I asked him to do anything for me I tip him well,(e.g. getting a taxi, unloading my heavy bags). And his smile is genuine.

• Like 1

not for me as its too boring and too many chiselers about ,,,but i still have my house to visit..its not cheap any more so pensions dont go far...the land of seargent bilko

an old pal of mine who retired to pitsanalok comitted suicide by jumping in the river when he was retired from his  english teaching job RIP

Edited by 3NUMBAS
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Clive said:

Thank you for you replies so far.
I love Thai food and that is the main attraction for me as well as the weather. Although Im not religious I like to see the temples as for me it gives the country the foreign Asian aspect. There are many places in S/E Asia that have the weather, the girls etc but not the culture that Thailand has to offer.
I suppose as I get older I have to look at what life will be like for me in say 20 or 30 years time regarding healthcare or ability to stay in the country. I have a friend that loves the phillipines but he doesn't like asian food as I do but I don't think that Id be happy there as the food is not so good generally.
Seriously considering Cambodia or Vietnam if Thailand becomes to difficult to live

Thai food is great but after a few years of it you will be looking for the old Meat n 3 veg or a meat pie and as for the weather the two seasons here are great also..Hot and Hot and wet. I love it. My advice not that it counts for much come on over try it but don’t build a house rent a condo.Test the water before you take the plunge.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

He may also have kept you from finding a meaningful long term relationship? Just saying .

The sky is actually not blue at all. It appears so because of the scattering of the suns light rays, that is the frequency of light being reflected by the atmosphere. ????

I know that. For example: Honey-Bees see the word mainly by Ultraviolet Light.  A red flower may look blue to a bee. I wonder if they see the sky as green? But the bees don't post here.:smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

op..just try it. Everyone is different and wants different things in life.

Personally, I have been here since I was 30 years old and only been back to my native UK for 1 visit of a week. 

I have travelled around the world and for me Thailand is where I feel at home.

I am far from rich....so I disagree with posters saying you need to be rich to enjoy it here. 

I live in a rural village in Chiang Mai. I live a simple life, keep chickens and ducks, have an orchard and grown organic vegetables. 

I eat mostly Thai food. I disagree with posters saying all the Thai food is boring after a time. I am still finding new foods. I suspect these posters only eat the basic Street foods or at Thai restaurants. There is even more dishes that are local and home cooked and you never see them in restaurants.

For me I love the weather, culture, the average Thai person (not rich or snobby) the beauty of the countryside, mountains and sea, the animals and wildlife (I am a zoologyist), the food and freedom to be myself and not have to conform. 

I think if you like the Thai way of life and the food, that will go a long way to make you happy here.

If you want to keep your farang food, lifestyle and values or think you can change your Thai partners to be more western than you will not be happy long term.

Learning the basics of speaking and reading also is a huge step into making you feel like here is home and you will gain more understanding of things and avoid misunderstandings .

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Not always as after 22 years of setting up a home here and the last 5 years since I retired I've been told to leave Thailand before the 26th September because I've used my 60 day extension which ran out just after the borders closed,I have all the amnesty stamps but can't get the year extension for marriage because my visa has expired.I've now got the money in the bank and an embassy letter for a last ditched attempt if that fails I will have to just walk away from it all.

Wow really sorry to hear that. What absolute bs.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Just to add balance OP, I would do none of the things listed above by BritManToo.  I told you; you will not get any useful information here. We on TVF constantly spend our time contradicting each other and rubbishing each other's opinions. After all, that's what forums are for.   It's quite fun, but not very informative. 

Come on Pilot, we are the expert informants...I say yes to this guy moving back and enjoying this rich and diversified culture. We all have, obviously, survived the rigours of living here under such harsh conditions for such a long sustained period so, I think that the OP needs to test his metal and do so him self...???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vermin on arrival said:

I used to love Thailand 22 years ago (and really enjoyed BKK back in the day). There are still things I like about it, but it's not the place I fell in love with. While still reasonably priced, the costs have gone up a great deal. The night life is not what it was although I am not much interested in that anymore. Health care costs continue to climb and, without insurance, if you have a serious problem and use the private hospital, it would be quite expensive. Also, with the current government, the visa situation is more difficult/complex than it used to be; I feel less welcome here by them than the government/immigration before. I was on my way out on March 29 but then everything came crashing down on March 18, and I got stuck here (of course could be much worse I could be back in the US)

I much prefer Laos now, but the big problem there if you are getting on is that the health care there is poor and you would need to come here for it. If you speak some Lao, I find the people to be friendlier there and more like it was here in years past.

That is just bloody sad mate!!! I hope you get better soon. You either love Thailand for what it is or just <deleted> off and stop bloody whining about it!!! <deleted>!!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Thank you very much for all of your advice. Theres a lot of information here and it seems that there is some difference of opinion as expected but most of it is mainly positive but warnings regarding finances. What I didn't mention earlier is I have 2 Thai children so any house building if I ever decide will be put in their name once they become old enough as being late teenagers they're not old enough for this.
A friend of mine told me years ago when I was living in Thailand nor to put into Thailand what your not prepared to loose and I have followed this advice religiously. Its got me out of trouble on a few occasions as Ive heard too many horror stories in the past. Im 53 and when Im 55 I will be able to draw on my private pension giving me around £55k annually.
I have never been into the bar girl scene. I don't believe that its good to start a romantic relationship starting with a financial transaction, there will always be the exception to the rule of course but many of these relationships fail. Im looking for a normal rural kind of living as that is what I enjoyed so much previously embracing the Thai culture giving me a n enjoyment I had never experienced before and the Thai people I found so friendly.
Theres always an escape route but I believe with a relatively good pension and funds from rental property in the uk It wouldn't too difficult to set up elsewhere if it became absolutely necessary but Thailand is where my heart has been for many years now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clive said:

Thank you very much for all of your advice. Theres a lot of information here and it seems that there is some difference of opinion as expected but most of it is mainly positive but warnings regarding finances. What I didn't mention earlier is I have 2 Thai children so any house building if I ever decide will be put in their name once they become old enough as being late teenagers they're not old enough for this.
A friend of mine told me years ago when I was living in Thailand nor to put into Thailand what your not prepared to loose and I have followed this advice religiously. Its got me out of trouble on a few occasions as Ive heard too many horror stories in the past. Im 53 and when Im 55 I will be able to draw on my private pension giving me around £55k annually.
I have never been into the bar girl scene. I don't believe that its good to start a romantic relationship starting with a financial transaction, there will always be the exception to the rule of course but many of these relationships fail. Im looking for a normal rural kind of living as that is what I enjoyed so much previously embracing the Thai culture giving me a n enjoyment I had never experienced before and the Thai people I found so friendly.
Theres always an escape route but I believe with a relatively good pension and funds from rental property in the uk It wouldn't too difficult to set up elsewhere if it became absolutely necessary but Thailand is where my heart has been for many years now.

What a rubbish punchline.

Thoroughly un-worth waiting for.

Glad I skipped straight from page one to here.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

op..just try it. Everyone is different and wants different things in life.

Personally, I have been here since I was 30 years old and only been back to my native UK for 1 visit of a week. 

I have travelled around the world and for me Thailand is where I feel at home.

I am far from rich....so I disagree with posters saying you need to be rich to enjoy it here. 

I live in a rural village in Chiang Mai. I live a simple life, keep chickens and ducks, have an orchard and grown organic vegetables. 

I eat mostly Thai food. I disagree with posters saying all the Thai food is boring after a time. I am still finding new foods. I suspect these posters only eat the basic Street foods or at Thai restaurants. There is even more dishes that are local and home cooked and you never see them in restaurants.

For me I love the weather, culture, the average Thai person (not rich or snobby) the beauty of the countryside, mountains and sea, the animals and wildlife (I am a zoologyist), the food and freedom to be myself and not have to conform. 

I think if you like the Thai way of life and the food, that will go a long way to make you happy here.

If you want to keep your farang food, lifestyle and values or think you can change your Thai partners to be more western than you will not be happy long term.

Learning the basics of speaking and reading also is a huge step into making you feel like here is home and you will gain more understanding of things and avoid misunderstandings .

Awww makes me wanna cry ...So sweet. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Clive said:

This post is for attention BritManToo.....Please note a word printed on line 7 of the above post those Aussie posters must have learned it from this U.K. countryman of yours.

• Haha 1