would you move to Thailand?

Clive

Retiring in a foreign country, such as Thailand—kind of like a trip to Las Vegas.  Only bring the money you can afford to lose, and go home.  Always have an escape option.  Currencies are dynamic.  Some months you feel flush with money and tend to spend like a drunken sailor.  Other months when the local currency rises, you don’t want to buy anything.

Come to Thailand and enjoy smashing the abundant, free pussy. Never pay for it and never have serious relationships here, otherwise stay home and have your sexually-boring marriage and/or long term relationships back there. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I was headhunted from Hong Kong to take a job in Bangkok 12 years ago.  In that time I've seen Bangkok get progressively better.  Would I do it again?  Absolutely, in fact I wish I'd done it 10 years earlier (actually I wish I'd been investing here 20 years earlier).  

But that's just me.  I'm 53 going on 33 and love city life.  The only thing I don't like about Thailand is the lack of professional expat women working here.  If Bangkok was more like Hong Kong or Singapore and had a lot more expat women it would be perfect.

No,it has changed drastically and not for the better.

It used to be cheap but the baht has risen drastically compared to most currencies.

The Visa system keeps changing from week to week.

The land of smiles is more the land of moaning about foreigners. 

There is more traffic and pollution and more violence generally.

But as the Thai say it's UP TO YOU

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/8/2020 at 6:24 PM, mark131v said:

Has it changed in 14 years absobloodylutely, some would say better I think most would say worse, that said if your content you get on quietly and if your not you might be a bit more vocal. Post #2 is correct you need to make up your own mind...

Good post .

Anyone remember Thailand , before it had Tesco Lotus / big C / Makro , etc 

The only bread you could buy then , if you were lucky , was sweetened <deleted>..

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, elliss said:

Good post .

Anyone remember Thailand , before it had Tesco Lotus / big C / Makro , etc 

The only bread you could buy then , if you were lucky , was sweetened <deleted>..

You can still get the <deleted> bread if you really want the good old days.

18 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You can still get the <deleted> bread if you really want the good old days.

Stuff the bread ..

However that said,  a short time , was  only 500 bht , they were the good ole days .

Sadly  after Tesco Villa / Makro  etc opened , many big white buffaloes arrived ....????

Everything , expensive more now ..

Edited by elliss
  • Like 1

I would test the waters in neighboring countries.  Meaning go live in each one for a year. Dont make any long term connections in any of them . Than you can judge where you want to be. Thailand isn't the same as when I started coming here 10 years ago.I think in a few years I will relocate.  

• Like 2

On 8/8/2020 at 12:51 AM, Clive said:

I was wondering if you would recommend retiring in Thailand now

No way no how

Visit enjoy...when again possible (after Covid)

but until there is some semblance of a normal functioning government stay out

of any prolonged retirement plans

This country gets riper for a civil upheaval monthly & it

won't be like the old Red/Yellow days

The current covid induced added economical stress could be the tipping point

Which one of these signs would you say are not already occurring in Thailand?

fascism-50-728.jpg

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the little man inside will tell you. I first came in 2008 did BKK-nah--phuket--meh--phi phi-ko tao-etc...landed up north and dropped my pack.....liked Khon kaen and Nong khai alot as well..but have always returned to Cm as I just know it--familiar to me....You will "know" when you've found it..keep exploring until the little man inside tips you off......I have also become more "thai" and local everytime I return...adaptable

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Not even 10am and the three wine coolers in my fridge are shouting out to me .... drink me, drink me!

Life in Thailand (for me) involves plenty of alcohol.

I figured the "misses" would have gotten to them as they seem to like the Su-puh-eye cool-lahz..... ????

22 hours ago, SteveK said:

If I could go back in time to before I met my wife, knowing what I know now I would have given Thailand a miss. It has become considerably less foreigner friendly over the years and the trips to immigration are a constant source of frustration. Vietnam or Mexico would have been my choice.

If my wife and I ever part company I think I would leave, sad to say but I think you can have an easier life elsewhere.

Ok Steve-O   Im a single dude and a free agent..also Hansum 2 much...Point me in the right direction

Or even any direction to get me out of this dumpster fire currently in the states.......good thing the wall is only 3 miles in case i need to make a run south of the border!

21 hours ago, Silent Number said:

Not a fussy person.

I guess the mind game I tell myself is if it looks like a duck and walks like a duck....a mouth is a mouth

Lets say the last girl you dated was hot..BUT you never had sex...never saw what was under the skirt..

Now you got to 2nd base but never got to see the "prize" and there was foreplay etc.......but from waist up

What if she was a guy?  Or post op or both!!!!?    I see attraction in "people" not color or gender..etc..

My tough guy homophobic buddy is in love with Daniel craig aka Bond 007..so is he gay???? who cares...

Anyhoo I have kissed and received from some smokin hot LBoys...never paid them..they offered......

I recall being in a bar on loy kroh my LB friend used to own and 2 of them whipped out my junk and were fighting over it...one even tried to give me oral and some old grandpa was looking at us..so that ruined it..

I dont like men, but for me if they want to live like a lady and behave, etc,,,whats the difference?  comes down to respect and attraction for me I suppose..funfact Marlon Brandon would do anything that breathed

Could be the thai body shape and lack of hair as I certainly dont want a 5 oclock shadow on my "girl"  lol

On 8/9/2020 at 2:49 AM, Clive said:

Im 53 and when Im 55 I will be able to draw on my private pension giving me around £55k annually.

Either you are a Dr at the NHS and apply for early retirement.

Maybe a higher ranking police officer.

I worked in Bangkok for 12 years and thought that I would retire there full time.  I've been involved with Thais and Thailand for almost 40 years.  No way would I do that now.  Too many visa hassles to deal with, health insurance requirements, money sitting in a Thai bank making almost nothing in interest, too many documents to submit to get a retirement visa, etc.  Now I'm thinking that I will spend 3-6 months a year in Thailand over the northern winter.  If Thailand becomes too problematic I might just do 90 days in Thailand and another 60-90 days in another country such as Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, or Malaysia.  I will spend about six months in my home country over the late spring, summer, and early Fall.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1