would you move to Thailand?

Clive

5 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

I figured the "misses" would have gotten to them as they seem to like the Su-puh-eye cool-lahz..... ????

Just started on today's three.

Had to wait a while today, as cutting box steel with an angle grinder isn't smart while a bit inebriated.

Doesn't matter where you live, there's always those little projects around the house.

IMG_20200810_145009.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Just started on today's three.

Had to wait a while today, as cutting box steel with an angle grinder isn't smart while a bit inebriated.

Doesn't matter where you live, there's always those little projects around the house.

IMG_20200810_145009.jpg

Is going to be a tiny little guest room for the mia noi?  ????  Dont forget the tv..mirrors and mama cups

On 8/8/2020 at 2:58 PM, poloshirt said:

Yes, Thailand has always been a nice place to live. Are you a nice person that should also be a question ask in relation to this question of whether Thailand is still a nice place to live.

In fact in many countries life will be wonderful if you have lots of money. I live for a year in Japan, oh, how I wish I have money to live there. I wouldn't say it's perfect country, but the street foods are so clean, so delicious. And you only  have to speak ordinary conversational level japanese you will find them very helpful. I don't care if the japanese are xenophobic that's their problem. I was there to enjoy myself not dealing with social problems they have. Isn't it right?

I really believe that it all boils down to money. Very much so I must say.

The concierge at my condominium always smiles when he sees me. Because when I asked him to do anything for me I tip him well,(e.g. getting a taxi, unloading my heavy bags). And his smile is genuine.

I liked your post a lot till the last bit. No wonder he does, but he would probably do so anyway without the bung. I have had my best experiences in Thailand when things are totally equal / out in the sticks being rescued or whatever, no exchange of money etc.

Would I move there now? Dunno. See how next few months/year goes, do a good three months (out of holiday mode), then decide. Even with a headache of a government, there are worse places to be.

• Like 1

Having lived in Thailand for over 23 years, but now marooned in the US due to COVID, I'd be extra cautious about any moves for a new expat.  There are new things to think about.....things we didn't have to worry about pre-covid.  Like, the idea of doing border runs for visas, or returning to your home country for a wedding/funeral/emergency and then returning back, or even, pre-covid days, the concerns about fluctuating exchange rates, changes in immigration rules, etc.  

If an when the covid concerns go away, you're still left with a lot to think about.  Any way you go about it, be sure to have a plan B in your hip pocket.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, quake said:

Would you move to Thailand.

Knowing what i know now about Thailand,  no way.

Don't do it. its just one big disappointment after another. 

I ever responded negativity to a post like that 3 years ago and after 3 years here, I'm starting to agree with this... 

I'm sorry about my comment to the previous naysayers due to my naive(ness).

• Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 4:23 PM, bodga said:

I fail to understand this "needing to love" to be able to live anywhere. I dont need to love Thailand or its people/culture to be ok with living here.

That seems odd to me. I wouldn't live anywhere I didn't love...........

13 hours ago, quake said:

Would you move to Thailand.

Knowing what i know now about Thailand,  no way.

Don't do it. its just one big disappointment after another. 

Surely that all depends on what your expectations are, and what type of person you are. 

I'm 51 now and still fully intend to make the move to Thailand at 55 ish once certain family responsibilities in the UK are taken care of. I read all the negative comments and decide whether those negatives outweigh the huge positives (for me personally). And so far they don't. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, marc26 said:

That seems odd to me. I wouldn't live anywhere I didn't love...........

Not really. I love thailand and vietnam, but chose malaysia. I certainly do not love my home country. I chose what is beneficial to me.

11 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Surely that all depends on what your expectations are, and what type of person you are. 

I'm 51 now and still fully intend to make the move to Thailand at 55 ish once certain family responsibilities in the UK are taken care of. I read all the negative comments and decide whether those negatives outweigh the huge positives (for me personally). And so far they don't. 

Your view of Thailand will change in time. when you live here.

slightly strange you have 5750 posts and don't live here already. got to be a story there.

I have done 20 years already here, and i had a good attitude and out look on life back then,

fast forward 20 years, my advice would be give Thailand a miss whilst you still can.

you may not even be able to stay here forever,  in the not to distant future. been loads of rumblings about insurance for expats in the last two years, that alone could be a disaster for most.

But please can you list the Huge positives you see in Thailand, I can only think of 2,

1) weather 2) The second to last sentence in my post. :thumbsup:

I tossed my list in the bin about 5 years ago, and started thinking with the big head not the small one. i also removed the tinned glasses,  god the light was blinding, I had Arc eye for 2 days. !!!!!!!!!!!!

I got 24 months left here, it sounds better than 2 years. the misses has her place up country the daughter will soon be finished at uni and can have my condo. 

Then i will go to that place, full of joy and expectations of a brighter future, the place where you can sing, dance, drink and be merry, the whole world at your feet.

Yes you guessed it.

Departure lounge suvarnabhumi. :intheclub:

Just hope nothing comes along to derail,  my escape plans. :jap:

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 2:49 AM, Clive said:

Im 53 and when Im 55 I will be able to draw on my private pension giving me around £55k annuall

Retired here 6 months ago after spending 18 months splitting my time 10 days in Singapore & 5 days in Bangkok, at the time I had a house with my (now) Ex in Kapalong (couple of hours north of Davao City) so it was  a toss up between Thailand & Philippines, in the end Thailand won just because I like it more here (love the Philippines & prefer Filipinas but love Thailand even more) so obviously I would (and did) still move to Thailand. 

I’m 54.5 so will be doing the maths on whether to take my final salary / defined benefits pension early next year or wait until it fully matures at 60 (have planned for enough savings/passive income to last me beyond that), have a similar budget to you of around 120K pm (although I’m trying to stick to 80K at the moment due to a couple of dividend streams drying up because of CV19) & it’s more than enough for a great life here + the added safety net of knowing you have enough to upsticks & move somewhere else, as long as you don’t cash-in any of your income stream(s)... but another thing I’m trying to decide on is whether to take 25% of the pension as a tax free lump sum & put the money into some other income providing assets... Again, will see what the numbers come out as.

Edited by Mike Teavee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

but another thing I’m trying to decide on is whether to take 25% of the pension as a tax free lump sum & put the money into some other income providing assets... Again, will see what the numbers come out as.

It's not about numbers, it's about how secure your pension provider is.

If your pension company appears shaky ... take out the cash.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's not about numbers, it's about how secure your pension provider is.

If your pension company appears shaky ... take out the cash.

90% of the Pension is protected by the UK Pension authority so its more about whether taking the money & investing it elsewhere will give me a better return and/or be more Tax efficient.

To use the OP’s figures, £55K pa would see you being taxed £9,500 so getting £45,500 net.

If you reduce the lump sum (& so income) by 25% you have £41,250 pa which would see £5,750 in tax (All at basic rate) giving you £35,500 net.

Its £10,000 pa difference so depends on how much the lump sum is, for a £55K pa pension I’m guesstimating a transfer out value of around £1.8 - £2 million which would give you a lump sum of £450 - £500K... NB I’m still unsure as to how/whether the £1 million cap affects pensions over this amount, I think it’s contributions rather than benefits, another thing in my list to look into in January.

Edited by Mike Teavee

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I thought tax on pensions was 20% basic rate ...........

I know it is up to the Top of the lower rate tax band but I always assumed it would be taxed as per any other income...

Another item to add to the list of things to look Further into ???? 

Edit: interestingly this gov site...  https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-pension/tax-when-you-live-abroad

... Says... 

Tax when you live abroad

If you live abroad but are classed as a UK resident for tax purposes, you may have to pay UK tax on your pension. The amount you pay depends on your income.

If you’re not a UK resident, you don’t usually pay UK tax on your pension. But you might have to pay tax in the country you live in. There are a few exceptions - for example, UK civil service pensions will always be taxed in the UK.

Something else to look into further 

Edited by Mike Teavee

11 hours ago, quake said:

I have done 20 years already here, and i had a good attitude and out look on life back then,

fast forward 20 years, my advice would be give Thailand a miss whilst you still can.

you may not even be able to stay here forever,  in the not to distant future. been loads of rumblings about insurance for expats in the last two years, that alone could be a disaster for most.

But please can you list the Huge positives you see in Thailand, I can only think of 2,

1) weather 2) The second to last sentence in my post. :thumbsup:

I tossed my list in the bin about 5 years ago, and started thinking with the big head not the small one. i also removed the tinned glasses,  god the light was blinding, I had Arc eye for 2 days. !!!!!!!!!!!!

The way I see it, I don't have to stay there forever if it doesn't work out. I hope if it doesn't work out that it won't take me 20 years to realise it. 

What were you looking forward to when you moved there, and what changed in terms of those particular desires? 

For me, the main positives...

I'm a nature geek, and I love tropical wildlife and tropical scenery. I will never get bored exploring the country and the national parks. 

I like the beach, particularly where it's warm enough to swim in the sea all year round. 

For a few days of fun Bangkok, Patong, Samui etc. are all a short trip away. Nothing comes close to that sort of nightlife anywhere in the world, in my humble opinion. 

I have good friends in Singapore and HK whom I can visit more easily from Thailand, and vice versa. 

Plus of course the food, which is cliché I know, but still....

10 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Tax when you live abroad

If you live abroad but are classed as a UK resident for tax purposes, you may have to pay UK tax on your pension. The amount you pay depends on your income.

If you’re not a UK resident, you don’t usually pay UK tax on your pension. But you might have to pay tax in the country you live in. There are a few exceptions - for example, UK civil service pensions will always be taxed in the UK.

Seems to be an extraordinary loophole with tax. If you're not UK resident, you don't usually pay tax in the UK on your pension. My financial advisor said you get a certificate from HMRC that you supply to the pension company so that no tax is deducted at source from withdrawals. If you have a SIPP, then my understanding from posts here is that tax in Thailand is zero as well, if it can be shown you are bringing in income more than 12 months after it was earned, so classed as bringing in capital funds / savings. I'm not sure about a defined benefit final salary scheme. I had one of those, but transferred out.

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Thanks 1

I am also asking the same question but I am younger and not near retirement yet, If i could earn the same money as I do in my home country I would move back, Europe is a good healthy place to live but I am a bit bored (Work) now been back 5 years, but I may get frustrated with Thai services at the start like Internet, banking & being a Farang again, tbh cant beat being a citizen.   

You will be retired, i would recommend traveling around S.E.A, I bet something will happen and you will find your answer ????

Edited by ECLV

On 8/8/2020 at 10:51 PM, Clive said:

Has Thailand changed so drastically in a negative way over the years or is it still a wonderful beautiful place to live?

If I was going to spend most of my time with foreigners / in places where foreigners make up the vast majority of customers, then I would not move to Thailand.

If I was going to lead a Thai lifestyle, spending most of my time with Thai people and I genuinely wanted to do that and was willing to embrace all that is good about Thailand then I would move to Thailand in a heartbeat.