Non-Immigrant O based on Retirement

I currently have an extension of stay with multiple re-entry permit. I left Thailand for a visit to Laos in March just before the lockdown and have been stuck here since.  Any words on when retirees are allowed to enter Thailand again? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

OP, when does your current reentry permit expire.

2 things are not known. When will land borders (likely before airports) open along with what will be the requirements.

They are horrid currently for married guys, PR holders etc. Retires not even on the list.

Some suggest (guess) that some land borders my open before September 26.

I'm thinking more towards end of this year at the best.

Edited by DrJack54

I am in a similar situation and my O-A Non Immigrant Visa expires in October. The Thai Embassy has no information what the procedure will be going forward. It looks as if we will have to re-apply again. 

10 hours ago, Roymac said:

I am in a similar situation and my O-A Non Immigrant Visa expires in October. The Thai Embassy has no information what the procedure will be going forward. It looks as if we will have to re-apply again. 

Is there really no information on this? I left Thailand (to Guam, USA) in February and normally would have returned in May. My "retirement visa" and Re-Entry expire in November. It's beginning to look doubtful that I'll be able to get back before then (especially with a U.S. passport). I suspect lots of people are in a similar boat. I'm thinking especially of guys I know who are back in the UK and would normally be returning to Thailand around September-October.

Disagree with comment re Australian situation.

The Oz PM announced ~ march 18 for all Australians to return to Oz asap.

After that upwards of 18000 Australians exited AU for various reasons (mainly holidays). Untill recently prior to outbreak in Melbourne/Victoria, it was relatively easy to return to Oz from Thailand.

In Sydney alone 28000+ people flew into Oz and were quarantined in hotels for 14days cost covered by government. 

It's only recent weeks Melb went out of control due to inept quarantine hotel control. Australians have had time to return however played the wait as see game.

BTW I from Melbourne.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, 363885 said:

It won't expire till next March, since I renewed just before going to Laos.  But I'm still anxious to get back, as I'm still paying rent and most of my personal belongings are in Thailand. 

I'm a bit surprised to hear that. I, too, visited Laos from Thailand in March, but the writing was on the wall that the borders were about to close at short notice. I needed a border bounce, so I just kept my trip shorter than I had planned. As you had just renewed for another year in Thailand, I'm surprised that you took the chance to travel to Laos at that time.

Out of curiosity, what's the situation like in Laos now? Is everything open? How about your visa there, do they still offer paid extensions for 30 days a time?

I hope you can return to Thailand soon, but as others I suspect they'll keep the borders closed for some more time. Quite a mess.

Just now, Caldera said:

As you had just renewed for another year in Thailand, I'm surprised that you took the chance to travel to Laos...

I think your being diplomatic.

Here is my recollection.

I was at Saigon airport March 16 returning to Bangkok. The flights to Singapore were cancelled on that day also it was announced entries from March 18 into Singapore would require quarantine.

~ same time Vietnam closed borders.

NZ ~ 19 and AU march 20. Anyone in Laos would of been crazy to remain. 

Think Thailand closed ~March 26.

There was quite some window to be able to return from Laos. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 5:07 AM, 363885 said:

. I left Thailand for a visit to Laos in March

Not "stuck".  You made a conscious choice to go to Laos in the middle of a raging pandemic.  Now you're enjoying the fruits of your choice. ????

Choices have consequences. ????

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, mangolover said:

Is there really no information on this? I left Thailand (to Guam, USA) in February and normally would have returned in May. My "retirement visa" and Re-Entry expire in November. It's beginning to look doubtful that I'll be able to get back before then (especially with a U.S. passport). I suspect lots of people are in a similar boat. I'm thinking especially of guys I know who are back in the UK and would normally be returning to Thailand around September-October.

Yes many of us Non O folks waiting abroad, hoping it doesn't go beyond expiry date......

22 hours ago, 363885 said:

It won't expire till next March, since I renewed just before going to Laos.  But I'm still anxious to get back, as I'm still paying rent and most of my personal belongings are in Thailand. 

Same boat as you............ 

On 8/8/2020 at 7:55 PM, Roymac said:

See it from the positive side, if you have to start all over again with a new visa, then you can go for the Non-immigrant O. Then there's no need for a health insurance. 

13 hours ago, Peeba boy said:

Hi. I have retirement visa but stuck in Scotland for now

anybody know where I can get Covid test in Scotland for travel back to thai

If you're not married or having a kid in Thailand, you can't return even if you take 5 covid-19 tests and all of them are negative.

On 8/9/2020 at 5:29 PM, Caldera said:

I'm a bit surprised to hear that. I, too, visited Laos from Thailand in March, but the writing was on the wall that the borders were about to close at short notice. I needed a border bounce, so I just kept my trip shorter than I had planned. As you had just renewed for another year in Thailand, I'm surprised that you took the chance to travel to Laos at that time.

Out of curiosity, what's the situation like in Laos now? Is everything open? How about your visa there, do they still offer paid extensions for 30 days a time?

I hope you can return to Thailand soon, but as others I suspect they'll keep the borders closed for some more time. Quite a mess.

In terms of Covid-19, it's probably one of the best countries in handling it.  Total cases has been 20, only 1 active case which was found at the airport 2 weeks ago when the only flight allowed in, a Korean charter flight, brought in one case. Now that charter flight is no longer allowed. In April, China sent a team here with supplies and trained all appropriate staff, from hospitals to provincial governments to border police.  Lao people are very "safety" conscious, so the government has to respond appropriately. Inside the country, everything is open, except for discos and night clubs. Masks are no longer required. Domestic flight are operating again. Restaurants and malls are crowded. Just missing the tourists. I'm staying with a friend, and need to renew my visa every 30 days

Luckily, it takes just a few minutes each time.  They'll keep renewing until I can leave. 

• Thanks 2