Baby bird ID help please. Is it a Lovebird?

Today my wife found this little chap on our balcony. It must have been planted in secret by someone because it certainly didn't fly there! Anyway, my daughter is well chuffed and it's taking food and attention very well. 

Does anyone know the species? We reckon a Lovebird. all help and advice is most welcome, and thanks in advance.

image.png.7e3e622dffc6ebb9258ba52c428e052c.png image.png.5b11752d37e1ff1d94362baddbd6aced.png

My next door neighbour bought one within the last few days. I will ask her 2morrow what it is. ????

Looks like some kind of parrot.

OK, She told me. It's a Sun Kaw Nua. (spelling) It's a species in Thailand. Very pretty. ????

Edited by thequietman
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, thequietman said:

OK, She told me. It's a Sun Kaw Nua. (spelling) It's a species in Thailand.

Possibly that's the Thai version of Sun Conure (a.k.a. Sun Parakeet, Aratinga solstitialis), not native to Thailand and an endangered species.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxx said:

Possibly that's the Thai version of Sun Conure (a.k.a. Sun Parakeet, Aratinga solstitialis), not native to Thailand and an endangered species.

Thanks, so even the neighbours have no idea. I don't agree with them keeping a bird in a cage, and now, I know it is endangered, even more so. ????

2 hours ago, thequietman said:

It's a 2000 baht bird, so not sure if it was planted there. Possibly fell from above. ( assuming you live in a condo) ????

I live in a townhouse, overlooking a canal. Neighbours could climb over if they really wanted to, but they're not that type. There's nothing above for it to fall from.

My daughter has been going on about a bird for ages but I refused, saying that we can rescue birds in need but not buy a pet. She wasn't home when my wife found it. My wife swears that she didn't plant it or have anything to do with it, and I believe her because she doesn't like birds or want this one.

Someone, somewhere knows what happened, but it looks like I will never find out.

It will not be caged in my house, so we will care for it and let nature take its course. I get the feeling that as a monogamous lovebird it will try to befriend the little dog as its partner. Let's hope so.

image.png.98585c69f8367f469be0b5f3df837fed.png

On 8/9/2020 at 2:38 AM, thequietman said:

Thanks, so even the neighbours have no idea. I don't agree with them keeping a bird in a cage, and now, I know it is endangered, even more so. ????

To my knowledge, sun conures are not endangered.

EDIT : they are now considered to be so.

Edited by Motoko

44 minutes ago, ProbPossConf said:

Very cute bird and doggie.  Just a little warning as the baby bird grows, watch the wing feathers and when the bird starts to flutter them.  Would be really sad if the bird suddenly is frightened and flies away.

Thank you and yes this will happen within the next two weeks. I feel that destiny and nature should decide what happens to Muffin. The plan is to make it tame, but uncaged, and always feed it at home, hoping it hangs around.

4 minutes ago, ProbPossConf said:

The demeanor of Muffin interacting with your doggie strongly indicates with proper training will influence the bird's behavior. 

Thank you. ????????

We're confident that they (and we all) will do just fine!.... we hope!

6 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

How will you protect it from cats, or mynah bird gangs?

We live in an enclosed village, at the end of a soi. Our ferocious Pygmy Werewolf* will do most of the guarding. There are very few Mynahs around and Muffin (the Lovebird) will spend most of its time in our house.

• Like 1