Vaccine -- Will you take it or not?

Scott

Vaccine -- Will you take it or not?  

479 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

27 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Nice point:

- Perhaps proof of vaccination will be required to make international flight booking, and

- Hopefully if one proves they have had an accepted/authorized vaccine the need to quarantine on arrival in Thailand (anywhere) will end. 

I doubt it as the Vaccine is only expected to be 50-60% effective so just having the vaccine won't mean you can't get infected.

Better have an effective quick test.

12 minutes ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

People do realize a Vaccine not going to be 100% effective don't they?

Most likely 50-60% effective so even if you take it's not like you'll be 100% immune it will just help reduce the R number.

Doesn’t matter how effective it is, as long as it lets us travel again.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

24 minutes ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

Most likely 50-60% effective so even if you take it's not like you'll be 100% immune it will just help reduce the R number.

There's no way of knowing if this is true yet. Nobody knows yet, what level of immune response is required to prevent infection with CoVid-19. Once phase 3 trials of various candidate vaccines have gathered enough data, we might have an answer to both what level of immunity is required and how effective each candidate vaccine is.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

43 minutes ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

You mention the vaccine will only be 50-60% effective.

Where does that come from?

Are you a doctor?

There's several hundred vaccines in tests, my guess (hope) is that many will be much effective at the 99% level.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Nah, I'll go along for the vaccine and slip the Thai nurse 500bht to not inject me.

No need to let the world know you didn't take it.

Billy Boi thought about that already.

Google: ID2020

It will be difficult if not impossible to fake that.

He also invested in a kind of color agent which will be put under the skin to show if someone is vaccinated or not.

We will be screwed because most of the people are sheeple and they take us with them.

But kinda surprised not anyone in this forum is stupid. Congrats to you who are able to use their mind

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

I have never had a flu injection but a vaccine for covid might be different. There are studies now being undertaken on survivors (very small samples) that show there could be brain damage/impairment from the virus. If this is proven on large samples, I wonder if the anti vaxers will change their mind (but then again they may already be impaired) ????

Already 64, retired, what do I need a brain for?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Are you a doctor?

There's several hundred vaccines in tests, my guess (hope) is that many will be much effective at the 99% level.

It's been widely reported that the usual expectation for vaccine effectivity is much less than 100 percent. Such as the annual flu vaccine. But it can often at least mean milder symptoms if infected. 

4 hours ago, CGW said:

Knowing what some of the ingredients are in a vaccine, personally I can't see how anyone could be so desperate, MCR-5 being just one of the delightful ingredients.

Although some vaccines may use cells from the MCR-5 line, by no means all of them do. Just to take one example, the Oxford University ChAdOx1 candidate vaccine is made from a weakened chimpanzee adenovirus (cold virus) that has been genetically changed so that it is impossible for it to grow in humans, into which they splice a part of the genetic code for the SARS-CoV-2 spike glycoprotein. So no human cells (let alone MCR-5) are involved.

3 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I'll wait until I've read the full published results of the phase 3 trials before deciding.

And I should just add that if there is eventually a properly-licensed vaccine for which the published results convincingly establish both safety and efficacy (and it's available here) then I will take it.

16 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Are you a doctor?

Well as far as I know there aren't any Vaccine's that are 99% effective the best being Measles Vaccination at 97%

They don't know yet how effective a Vaccine would be as it will take years of testing but it's not expected to be over 75% but probably less.
My point being that we shouldn't expect instant immunity because we take the Vaccine.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/07/coronavirus-vaccine-dr-fauci-says-chances-of-it-being-highly-effective-is-not-great.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vaccines for this virus which seem to be coming with widespread distribution sometime next year are neither a panacea or the end of human freedom and civilization. 

It will help eventually end the pandemic but not the virus. 

I say vaccines plural because there are multiple good candidates in development and also vaccine nationalism.

The first one widely released probably won't end up being the best one. 

Sounds messy? I guess it is. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Although some vaccines may use cells from the MCR-5 line, by no means all of them do. Just to take one example, the Oxford University ChAdOx1 candidate vaccine is made from a weakened chimpanzee adenovirus (cold virus) that has been genetically changed so that it is impossible for it to grow in humans, into which they splice a part of the genetic code for the SARS-CoV-2 spike glycoprotein. So no human cells (let alone MCR-5) are involved.

Thats reassuring! :shock1:

"weakened chimpanzee adenovirus (cold virus) that has been genetically changed"

& people believe it is ok to inject this into their bodies! ????

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kokopelli said:

At 80+ yo I would think a covid vaccine would be of utmost importance?  Oh, I am 80 and would be first in line for an effective vaccine.

ok ...   you give it a shot and let me know how it goes    !

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

it will probably mandatory to be vaccinated whether you like it or not, i believe that people who will refuse vaccination will have problems in maintaining normal lifestyle for the benefits of society as a whole nevermind that you will be branded as a selfish and an incompetent person...

It should be about the easiest thing in the world to give bung the nurse to not give you the vaccine as was mentioned earlier, but should pay more than 500Bt whether the nurse is a ladyboy or not.

20 minutes ago, CGW said:

Thats reassuring! :shock1:

"weakened chimpanzee adenovirus (cold virus) that has been genetically changed"

& people believe it is ok to inject this into their bodies! ????

You do understand that chimpanzees are a different species to humans, so what infects them is less likely to infect us, don't you?

This particular vaccine construct was chosen precisely because it can't cause an infection in humans - so far it has been used in clinical trials of vaccines for at least ten different diseases involving thousands of people over a period of around a decade and it has never been found to cause any serious side effects. Its safety record is firmly established.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 2