Sending money to Thailand?

AndrewMciver

I have a bill from a Thailand education authority i have to pay. It's for around 20,000 Baht. 

Sitting infront of my laptop, what are the easiest ways to send money? Do i need to mess around with I.D. and sending information? Looking for something quick and easy.

May send funds from my credit card for some protection.

14 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Assuming you have the recipients bank account details then using Transferwise will likely be the easiest and cheapest way, assuming you are in a country in which they operate.

Yes have recipients bank details. 

Do i need to mess around with ID?

Transferwise can be a major pita too.  Make sure you first set up a "transferwise" bank account first.  Then wire or ACH money into that.  Once it's there, you can send it to anyone.

If you don't do that, then the sender name on the wire has to match the recipient name.

BIG FREAKING HEADACHE if you don't do it right.

If you are sending from a US bank account, then you want to have what they call a USD Balance account with transferwise.  So you'll need to verify with a photo ID.  It's pretty fast to verify, but it's a step you need to do.

EDIT:  If this is a one off payment, it'll be easier (though more expensive) to wire from a bank direct to the recipient account.  But if you think you'll be doing future payments, then Transferwise is cheaper.  But as I said, proper set up can be a PITA

Edited by asiacurious