Tourism revenue could plummet over 75 per cent

rooster59

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

Maybe a good time to woo the expats living in Thailand to stay in Thailand?

Every expat, on average, brings 50,000 Baht into the country, every month!

Thee Immigration office sets then limit for at least :  65,000 THB  into Thailand.

1 hour ago, blueontour said:

With any luck all the TV whingers will disappear. 

Maybe if a young auto parts magnet can send the army back to barracks one day, whinging will become a thing of the past.   Until then, whinging will continue and rightfully so.  

• Like 2

I live in the present. The forecasts, quesswork, projections, fortune-telling and wishes are pointless. The media, talking-head politicians and repeaters seeming add to the fear, anxiety and hopelessness of those that believe them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

In a worst-case scenario, the Thai tourism sector is expected to generate revenue of Bt676.7 billion next year due to the impact of the Covid-19 outbreak, Tourism Authority of Thailand Governor Yuthasak Supasorn said.

They don't know what's happening end of this month let alone next year... complete madness.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Can i come back and quarantine on top of that big ocean rock for my 2 weeks?  can fish off it for food

Yes, but there is a squatting charge and its triple for foreigners. Extra for the fishing license and sunshade. No pets allowed. A caddy will be assigned.

• Haha 1

Just now, shackleton said:

This is a never ending subject 

We are proberly  be going to see and  different scenarios 

Computer playing up again 

To finish my sentence 

We are proberly  going to see and read different scenarios most days weeks and months on tourist figures ect 

Nothing will improve until the Foreign  tourists are allowed back in plus quarantine  measures are finished which is months away

Looking at 2021 earliest 

1 hour ago, xerostar said:

" .. could plummet over 75 per cent"

ALREADY HAS plummeted by 99% would be more accurate !  

Obviously you believe that shouting makes the narrow minded perspective more credible, and I can only assume that you believe domestic tourism to be some sort of myth.

A couple of weeks ago we went to Laem Sing and the hotel we wanted was fully booked, village was as busy as it would normally be at this time of year. On the way home we called into Laem Sadat, quite a hive of activity, no ghost towns around there.

Quite obvious from the article that they are not entirely dependent on foreigners.

"If the sector quickly recovers early next year or in the second quarter next year, it will have revenue of Bt1.525 trillion of which Bt977 billion will be contributed by foreign tourists. "

You really ought to get out from behind that keyboard a bit more.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

tourism globally is decimated, so this is not a specific Thai situation.

International travel is limited worldwide so naturally people will not go abroad for a holiday but stay in their own country.

International tourism will drop but national tourism from Thais will go up.

This might be good for Thailand in the long run, away from tourism dollars and focusing on other industries.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

No one is going hungry in this village.  They eat things they grow,  harvest or catch everyday, not just in an emergency.   We like watermelon brand rice and there is usually one or 2 x 10kg bags in kitchen.  My B-in-L grows 2 rai of sticky rice for Mar on some of her land...it usually gets shared around.  I have 5 x 50L boxes with farang friendly food.  If things get tough and food stocks are low in the supermarket I think we and others can survive. I would imagine a lot of villages all over Thailand would survive.

Yes. I imagine that this is the case throughout the country, away from the major urban centres. my extended family are even supplying members who live in Bangkok with food. There is some sort of a rota whereby people are taking it in turn to make a run down to Bangkok to supply people from the village living there. A pick up goes down every week or so.

What the economic side effects of the Covid fighting policies have done, is to force a very large proportion of the population back to this sort of subsistence agriculture which you describe. As small businesses and enterprises are forced to close, trading is concentrated in the hands of a smaller number of the bigger concerns (and that means families doesn't it). It has set back the economic development by, oh, perhaps thirty years or so, at least a generation, maybe two? The gap between very rich and poor/scraping by has been widened, and what economic and social mobility there was has been destroyed. I don't think that was the initial intention, but it is an (unintended) effect which has been welcomed by those few who benefit I'm sure that they will be deploying their influence to ensure that this situation continues!

They will have calculated that they can maintain the profitability of their concerns, even though the amount of disposable income in the community has reduced, by concentrating it on their businesses. Perhaps they are right, but there again have they taken into account the mood of the very large number of dispossessed and unemployed that have been created?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Utterly Pathetic, destroying your total economy for two years, mass unemployment and homelessness for less than a day of road deaths ! World has totally gone completely and nuts

It's not the 50-60 deaths Thailand has had.

It's the thousands more that would occur along with the collapse of its medical system and all the collateral damage, if they let the virus in and it runs rampant in the country.

11 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Obviously you believe that shouting makes the narrow minded perspective more credible, and I can only assume that you believe domestic tourism to be some sort of myth.

A couple of weeks ago we went to Laem Sing and the hotel we wanted was fully booked, village was as busy as it would normally be at this time of year. On the way home we called into Laem Sadat, quite a hive of activity, no ghost towns around there.

Quite obvious from the article that they are not entirely dependent on foreigners.

"If the sector quickly recovers early next year or in the second quarter next year, it will have revenue of Bt1.525 trillion of which Bt977 billion will be contributed by foreign tourists. "

You really ought to get out from behind that keyboard a bit more.

haha. good observation. Its only logic. Also Thais cant travel abroad, so instead of a holiday in another country, they will have a holiday in Thailand. 

Anyway, individual people or businesses alike, one always should try to adopt AND STRIVE TO BENEFIT from a changing situation.

The covid crisis brings MASSIVE oportunities for other sectors. 

• Like 1