Need advice on security camera system

Dario

This morning my wife's sister got up and noticed that over night a thief/thieves had stolen silk from her loom placed in front of her house under the roof. The silk had been just cut off from her loom by the thieves, silk worth about 8'000 Baht and for which she had worked about 45 days starting every morning at 05:00 and working until 21:00 every night. 
Now we also know why some dogs were poisened about a week ago in our tiny village lost in the deepest Isaan. The thieves try to poisen the dogs so they (the thieves) can operate at night without being disturbed by the dogs. Our 6-month old puppy was one of their victims. It survived, but a few days ago we thought we lost it. My wife brought it to the vet and it's recovering now. Since the dogs bark anyway all night long, nobody paid attention last night, when the thieves were here.

My wife's sister lives across the street from us. We would like to have a surveillance camera installed at her house and one at our entrance. The two cameras would be approximately 15-20 m apart from each other. Battery wireless operated cameras possibly? We have one dummy camera installed since years at our entrance, gathering dust  and it has done its job very well. We were never visited by thieves. One of the two cameras could be installed in its place.

We don't want to spend a fortune. Nowadays, I think, there must be an affordable way to solution our requirements. Lots of such cameras are sold on Lazada, but which ones are good for us? Can anyone in the know give us some advice, not only about the cameras, but how to get alerted (via mobile next to the bed?) if someone shows up at night?

This is our dummy CCTV camera:

IMG20200809065502s.jpg

8 minutes ago, Dario said:

Since the dogs bark anyway all night long,

They are therefore  totally useless for security, if  someone wants to steal from you no security  system will stop them, cameras get beaten by masked  robbers, electricity can be cut off without battery back up, cameras can be stolen  too.

I use  wifi cameras with an alarm which  will alert me by sms message or  call me or make a noise. They also record to the cloud or onboard card.

I have had  no  issues with security but as job situation gets  more desperate that may change although I dont  have a lot to steal.

24 minutes ago, bodga said:

They are therefore  totally useless for security, if  someone wants to steal from you no security  system will stop them, cameras get beaten by masked  robbers, electricity can be cut off without battery back up, cameras can be stolen  too.

I use  wifi cameras with an alarm which  will alert me by sms message or  call me or make a noise. They also record to the cloud or onboard card.

I have had  no  issues with security but as job situation gets  more desperate that may change although I dont  have a lot to steal.

Thank you for your input, bodga. What you say in your first two lines is surely true, but still, I believe, cameras can help.

May I ask which kind of wifi cameras you bought? A link to the seller would be very helpful.

"They also record to the cloud or onboard card." Onboard cards I understand, not easy to retrieve footage, but not the "Cloud". Wouldn't you mind to enlighten me? Thank you.

Would this one be a good contender? Records to the cloud.

Edited by Dario

13 minutes ago, Dario said:

My wife said: save the money, no use to put up a camera, thieves will always outsmart the camera. It may be that she is right.

Totally disagree with your wife, cameras can and do deter thieves.

Take note of what Bodga posted.

Our cameras have been useful now for over 7 years.

Sadly the only people our cameras have seen stealing from us are my outlaws.

Edited by colinneil

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Totally disagree with your wife, cameras can and do deter thieves.

Take note of what Bodga posted.

Our cameras have been useful now for over 7 years.

Sadly the only people are cameras have seen stealing from us are my outlaws.

Nice message, thanks Neil. I believe what you say.  My wife just told me that within a few days the weaving looms will be completely fenced off at night.

• Like 1

Hi, this kit from Aliexpress is really good; 4 wi-fi cameras and a recorder for $180. You can remote view on your phone and set up motion detection so it will send push notifications to your device if it detects anyone/thing.  
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001049041449.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.233d3e0deVyGqn&s=p&ad_pvid=202008081858112686052054132480004563928_1&algo_pvid=8dd27c01-403b-416c-810a-ad7beedbd3e8&algo_expid=8dd27c01-403b-416c-810a-ad7beedbd3e8-0&btsid=0ab50f6215969382917554471ef8a9&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Hope that helps - it's easy to get stuff shipped to Thailand from China. 

As a side note, is your wife's sister making silk as a job? Or a hobby?

silk worth about 8'000 Baht and for which she had worked about 45 days starting every morning at 05:00 and working until 21:00 every night. 

That's 16hours/day - 45 days = 720hours = 11 baht per hour? 
Just wondering

23 minutes ago, jadee said:

Hi, this kit from Aliexpress is really good; 4 wi-fi cameras and a recorder for $180. You can remote view on your phone and set up motion detection so it will send push notifications to your device if it detects anyone/thing.  
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001049041449.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.233d3e0deVyGqn&s=p&ad_pvid=202008081858112686052054132480004563928_1&algo_pvid=8dd27c01-403b-416c-810a-ad7beedbd3e8&algo_expid=8dd27c01-403b-416c-810a-ad7beedbd3e8-0&btsid=0ab50f6215969382917554471ef8a9&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Hope that helps - it's easy to get stuff shipped to Thailand from China. 

As a side note, is your wife's sister making silk as a job? Or a hobby?

That's 16hours/day - 45 days = 720hours = 11 baht per hour? 
Just wondering

Thanks for your message, All will be fenced off like a shop house, so no more need for cameras. My wife's sister does it to support her family. 11 Baht per hour, yeah!! 

Family says, the dogs didn't bark last night, because they know the thief/thieves. So an insider / outlaw, which is common in Thailand. 

Edited by Dario

47 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I bought a cheap ( 750 baht ) security camera from Lazada , I think the brand is Dius .

As I live in a small sub soi ( 6 houses that are mostly empty during work days ) I felt that it might just act as a deterrent and prompt any would be thieves to seek an easier target, if that is the case I don’t know but it does give a small sense of security.

I can view it in real time via the app, get a notification warning of any movement, a snapshot sent to the micro sd card and a snapshot sent to my email address. Not much good if the thieves are wearing masks of course ????.

If you are looking on Lazada for a camera, check out the ratings of the associated app also , some appear not to work at all  !!

So far I have collected quite a good collection of photos of stray cats !!

A2659F7C-1A2C-4446-A5EB-F6B94B1E9D15.jpeg.a11098ed5c1e8222512a605da93f3f37.jpeg

that cat could very well be a thief in disguise ....

• Like 1

Google nest outdoor, a bit expensive but the best with cloud and motion sensing all that stuff. But a camera will only help after the fact and maybe (if your lucky) deter people. Still I am going to move and keep my home empty for a while. I will put a google nest in there so i can look back at it from my new home. 

Do you have WiFi? 

If yes, then you can buy a ip camera with WiFi that has playback for around 1500bht on lazada. 

If you don't have WiFi, you can buy a sim card camera with battery, or even solar powered, but these are more expensive. 

I think they start at around 3000bht. 

I hope you manage to catch them in the act. 

I'm sure that the silk will be missed, but what they may have done to the dogs is discussing. 

Edited by northsouthdevide