UK PM orders PR campaign for schools to reopen in September - Sunday Times

rooster59

UK PM orders PR campaign for schools to reopen in September - Sunday Times

2020-08-09T022150Z_1_LYNXNPEG7801P_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-EU-STATEAID.JPG

FILE PHOTO: British Prime Minister Boris Johnson speaks to local people at a heritage centre in Beeston near Nottingham, England, July 28, 2020. Rui Vieira/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

(Reuters) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has ordered a public relations campaign to ensure schools reopen on time in September and said in a meeting that they should be the last places to close even in case of a local lockdown, The Sunday Times newspaper reported.

"The PM stressed (in a Thursday meeting) that the harm done to children's education by not attending school as well as to their mental health is far more damaging than the low risk posed (by the coronavirus), which schools will be carefully managing," the newspaper quoted a source as having said.

A study published on Tuesday said Britain risks a second wave of COVID-19 this winter twice as large as the initial outbreak if it reopens schools full-time without improving its test-and-trace system.

Schools in Britain closed in March during a national lockdown, except for the children of key workers, and reopened in June for a small number of pupils. The government wants all pupils to return to school by early September, with Johnson calling this a national priority.

(Reporting by Kanishka Singh in Bengaluru; Editing by Daniel Wallis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-08-09

What's worst about all this is that Worzel and his mates have destroyed the world economy, and there's still an <deleted> problem. Like, I've heard of no pain no gain, but lots of pain no gain, is a new one on me.

• Haha 1

The pledge from Johnson to re-open the schools in September at the cost of shutting down pubs, restaurants and entertainment venues if necessary, is at least, the first time he has shown any balls about anything!

For every parent it will be a relief and for everyone else, a damn annoyance.

9 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

The alternative of the left-wing populist union red flag wavers giving everyone the next 5 years off and doubling state benefits and banning eviction might be worse in my opinion

what was that? a fevered cheese dream? 

19 hours ago, Surelynot said:

A fully functioning test, track and trace system maybe......that would be a good start. I see schools are now being closed down in California with new outbreaks.

Just imagine how things might have have been if the big, fat, lazy, greased albino piglet had made the effort to do his job properly in the first place! But what the hell....... only 70,000 excess deaths and the economy on its knees.

He is funny though.....and I like his hair.....and he has a new baby (not sure where you get old ones?)

Childish.

• Like 1