Can you use Solvent Glue to Join PP-R Pipes?

carlyai

The original PP-R fittings I have just require pressing the shaved head pipe in. Global House don't seem to carry these type of fittings so I bought some that looked like they glue in.

Evidently pipes and fittings are melted together with a special machine. I don't have a machine.

Can PP-R fittings and pipes be glued with normal PVC Solvent Glue? 

20200809_105522.jpg

33 minutes ago, Crossy said:

No.

They are designed to be heat-fused using one of these https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ppr-d20-32small-thai-pp-r-ppr-i686546242-s1322452990.html

The two-part super-glue adhesives are supposed to work https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-Plastics-Bonding-System-2g-Super-Glue-681925/100371829

The first part is correct. You have to use the heat-welding tool, it has a little bit of learning involved but a couple of test joints that you cut open makes that easy.

The super-glue can not work as the pipe will not fit into any of the joining pieces without being softened. The OD of the pipe is slightly larger than the ID of the fittings, so any “glue” will have to be a PP-R solvent to function.

FWIW the second link doesn’t work 

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-Plastics-Bonding-System-2g-Super-Glue-681925/100371829" on this server.

Reference #18.e4b2f748.1596950374.d977d7d

Actually it looks as if the whole domain is down.

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

FWIW the second link doesn’t work 

Ah, I see the reason for that, I've been watching the snooker on the BBCiPlayer via my VPN to the UK. It's been noticed in the past that HomeDepot don't allow users in Thailand to access.

• Like 1

I have these pipes running from a storage heater to our kitchen and bathroom in a small apartment. 

I insisted on them, as I was sick of fixing blue pipe all around our old house. 

The builder installed the system a few years ago, when we where in Europe, and all works fine. 

I had no idea that you needed to heat the joints to connect them until a few months back, I saw the contraption for sale in global house, 

So next time I run into the builder, I asked him, and he said he glued them. 

He also didn't know about this heat sealing machine. 

So far, after around 3 years, we've had no issues with the glued pipes, but next time, I'll be doing it myself with the machine. 

• Haha 1

I'd just use copper pipes, running in a PVC conduit so it can be replaced when old ( a couple of decades at least). It can be bent easier and every AC somchai knows how to solder the connections, if you don't want to DIY. Bonus is copper has antibacterial properties. 

Edited by DrTuner

39 minutes ago, northsouthdevide said:

I had no idea that you needed to heat the joints to connect them until a few months back, I saw the contraption for sale in global house, 

So next time I run into the builder, I asked him, and he said he glued them. 

I have never seen a PP-R to PP-R joint that is glued, I doubt that he remembered correctly.

The only common ways are push fit and welding/heat melt.

If you have any of the joints that are visible please take a picture.

12 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Here's the procedure using the machine. I did see it used once, I suppose when done correctly it's ok. -when-done-correctly- is the problem.

It isn’t rocket science. It’s not difficult to do correctly.

Over heating the joint is one possible problem, but timing the heating solves that 

Another possible problem is gorilla strength when fitting the joint, doing a practice joint or 2 & possibly cutting them open solves that.

Under heating the joint is easy detectable as the joint doesn’t go together. 

putting the joint together out of alignment is also easy to see.

The people who I’ve taught to use the machine usually got the hang of using it correctly after 2 to 4 practice joints.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, northsouthdevide said:

he said he glued them

As stated already, it is impossible to slide the pipe into the socket until they are softened because the pipe is bigger than the fitting. So do post pictures if you want to know how they were attached.

9 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Over heating the joint is one possible problem, but timing the heating solves that 

Always follow the data sheet paying close attention to exactly how many seconds to leave the pp-r in the heat tool. It depends on several factors; there isn't a one time fits all. If following the sheet on every aspect of making a joint there shouldn't need practice joints / guess work. The only thing I hate about jointing pp-r is it can be a 3 handed job. The demos show nice easy bench top demos with a nice convenient piece of pipe. In the real world you often need one hand to hold the pipe, another hand to hold the fitting, and another hand to hold the heat tool.

5 hours ago, canopy said:

In the real world you often need one hand to hold the pipe, another hand to hold the fitting, and another hand to hold the heat tool.

I was thinking about that, fitting elbows while the pipes are already fixed, say f.ex. going through the second floor, can't be that easy.