Eating chicken skin

poloshirt

And speaking of delicious but not of Thai food, there is an eastern european Jewish delicacy called "grivenes" or "gribenes" or some variation of those. Essentially it's chicken skinned fried down to crispiness along with thin sliced onions fried in that fat. with a bit of salt and black pepper.

1 hour ago, thaibreakfast said:

And speaking of delicious but not of Thai food, there is an eastern european Jewish delicacy called "grivenes" or "gribenes" or some variation of those. Essentially it's chicken skinned fried down to crispiness along with thin sliced onions fried in that fat. with a bit of salt and black pepper.

https://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/schmaltz-and-gribenes/

I've never tried it but it doesn't sound that appetising, however each to his own.

13 hours ago, thaibreakfast said:

Mmmm. That does sound good. The gripe I have with chicken skin is the texture. Unless done like you describe, it's like a large clump of snot in the mouth. Chinese probably love something like that.

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2020 at 6:07 AM, ezzra said:

now let's discuss eating chicken feet, who's up to start?...

The very first meal I was ever given, hours after landing in Thailand, was by my new neighbour who brought round a bowl of chickens feet soup. There's nothing but skin on them to eat. Boiled chickens feet. Disgusting.

2 minutes ago, polpott said:

The very first meal I was ever given, hours after landing in Thailand, was by my new neighbour who brought round a bowl of chickens feet soup. There's nothing but skin on them to eat. Boiled chickens feet. Disgusting.

Thai food isn't for everyone.

TBH there are a lot of food that is disgusting to others, but are a delicacy to people who consume it. Accusing other nationalities of eating gross food is a sign of total ignorance... IMHO.

live and let live...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ravip said:

TBH there are a lot of food that is disgusting to others, but are a delicacy to people who consume it. Accusing other nationalities of eating gross food is a sign of total ignorance... IMHO.

live and let live...

Who has accused anyone of eating gross food? Are we not entitled to express our opinion on what we personally find gross? Your post smacks of ignorance.

I admit to really liking crisp chicken skin as a snack but know as well that most of the deep fried skin sold by vendors still is very fatty and often has the aftertaste of the old stale oil often used to fry it in.

I found a pretty good method for making crispy chicken skin was to take a piece of skin off a leg or breast and microwave it on a ceramic dish for a minute or two.  Most of the fat renders out. I drain the resulting chip on a piece of paper and it is really crisp & tasty without much fat.

Several cautions: The fat rendered from the skin gets REALLY HOT, really quickly.  The difference between a correctly cooked chip and a burned one can be just a few seconds so do keep an eye on it. 

Don't use a plastic dish or a paper plate or towel.  I used a plastic dish one time and the fat got so hot the dish melted and was smoking, ready to ignite.  Also, it spatters as much as bacon does, making a bit of a mess inside the microwave.  

Trim any chicken meat from the skin before putting in the "wave" as it hardens and tastes pretty bad.

Edited by dddave
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, dddave said:

I admit to really liking crisp chicken skin as a snack but know as well that most of the deep fried skin sold by vendors still is very fatty and often has the aftertaste of the old stale oil often used to fry it in.

I found a pretty good method for making crispy chicken skin was to take a piece of skin off a leg or breast and microwave it on a ceramic dish for a minute or two.  Most of the fat renders out. I drain the resulting chip on a piece of paper and it is really crisp & tasty without much fat.

Several cautions: The fat rendered from the skin gets REALLY HOT, really quickly.  The difference between a correctly cooked chip and a burned one can be just a few seconds so do keep an eye on it. 

Don't use a plastic dish or a paper plate or towel.  I used a plastic dish one time and the fat got so hot the dish melted and was smoking, ready to ignite.  Also, it spatters as much as bacon does, making a bit of a mess inside the microwave.  

Trim any chicken meat from the skin before putting in the "wave" as it hardens and tastes pretty bad.

I wonder how it would be on an Air Fryer?

• 1 month later...